Is Ridgid quality going downhill?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Ridgid quality going downhill?

I was always a Ridgid tool person, vacuums, power tools, stationary tools, cordless tools etc, but lately, at least my last 2 purchased have been junk.

I have the Mitre Saw SUV and have exchanged it once, now this one is 1/2 thru assembly and it's going back. holes aren't lining up, quick release levers don't work etc. I'll RETURN this and just get my money back.

Then my 18V LiIon Drill/Impact driver sets batteries are both dead in less than a year and just from general around the house/yard use. I mean, when i build my deck and playhouse this year, i actually had to use my old 14.4V X2 Ridgid Drill, because the 18v just wouldn't drill as deep, fast or even last as long. I know i can go and get 2 new batteries, but what's the point if the batteries are only going to last 6mos? Perhaps i should have bought Bosch, Dewalt or Milwaukee, but i always choose Ridgid for the LSA

What's going on? Am i expecting too much or is the quality of their products just slowly getting worse?

Re: Is Ridgid quality going downhill?

Considering the bad luck you've had with a variety of their tools, is it YOU or THE TOOLS that are cursed??!!??
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
      Considering the bad luck you've had with a variety of their tools, is it YOU or THE TOOLS that are cursed??!!??
      perhaps i'm just knowledgeable enough to expect what they advertise

looks like a few other people have had the same issues with the STAND, as seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5#BVRRWidgetID

and the 18v BATTERIES as well, as seen here: POST 9 and here 12
      Last edited by brucered; 11-24-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brucered View Post
        I was always a Ridgid tool person, vacuums, power tools, stationary tools, cordless tools etc, but lately, at least my last 2 purchased have been junk.

I have the Mitre Saw SUV and have exchanged it once, now this one is 1/2 thru assembly and it's going back. holes aren't lining up, quick release levers don't work etc. I'll RETURN this and just get my money back.

Then my 18V LiIon Drill/Impact driver sets batteries are both dead in less than a year and just from general around the house/yard use. I mean, when i build my deck and playhouse this year, i actually had to use my old 14.4V X2 Ridgid Drill, because the 18v just wouldn't drill as deep, fast or even last as long. I know i can go and get 2 new batteries, but what's the point if the batteries are only going to last 6mos? Perhaps i should have bought Bosch, Dewalt or Milwaukee, but i always choose Ridgid for the LSA

What's going on? Am i expecting too much or is the quality of their products just slowly getting worse?
        Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. I do not understand some of their decisions but at the same time I'm not in board meetings or watching the numbers on their in house computers.

People seem to love the R4511. Now they are discontinuing it. Will it be replaced by something better?

Many complaints about the evolution of their cordless line of tools. I do not own any so I cannot say whether they are great or not. But I can't tolerate the LSDELAY agreement.

I had an issue with a Bosch battery and called their number. Had a new one within 2 days on the doorstep. I did not have to take the battery anywhere and I did not have to provide the old battery. Was just told to dispose of the battery properly.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by brucered View Post
          perhaps i'm just knowledgeable enough to expect what they advertise

looks like a few other people have had the same issues with the STAND, as seen here: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...5#BVRRWidgetID

and the 18v BATTERIES as well, as seen here: POST 9 and here 12
          Every company has a lemon here and there. Not to say offshore manufacturing has had nothing to do with it.

Comment

Location of manufacture or assembly has NOTHING to do with quality. Quality is a result of proper design and proper quality control. Period.

Comment

I would hope neither your expectations nor the quality are the issues. I've passed this thread to the product managers. I encourage you to use that LSA and get the new batteries. I am sorry for your poor experience on the first set.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBrand View Post
                I would hope neither your expectations nor the quality are the issues. I've passed this thread to the product managers. I encourage you to use that LSA and get the new batteries. I am sorry for your poor experience on the first set.
                thanks. i still love my new ridgid portable table saw, 2 vacuums (1 wall mounted and 1 contractor box type), recip saw, 14.4v NiCad drill, hand tools etc.

but that stand.... i researched it, compared it and thought it was going to be amazing. putting together the 1st one, stuff wasn't lining up, parts were having to be forced in thus twisting the other parts. and when i went to look at the floor model at HD, it wasn't any better, there were gaps were plastic met metal etc.

then the 2nd one, brackets are bent, holes again are not lining up and then the quick release pull knob doesn't work properly, it's nearly impossible to release, so it will just be returned.

and my 18v LiIon batteries are dead, like i said. hopefully my local authorized dealer (i've been there before for my 14v batteries) have them in stock or can get them quick. i don't mind waiting a week or 2 and i'm just hoping it's not the drill. when i put in a freshly charged battery, it doesn't even have enough power to drive in a 3" screw and/or i can hold the chuck with my hand and it will stall out, unlike the 14v nicad which is full of power.

i'm hoping i just got a dud battery set and if it turns out it's the drill, i'm guessing they will replace those as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                  Location of manufacture or assembly has NOTHING to do with quality. Quality is a result of proper design and proper quality control. Period.
                  I agree, however, things from off shore typically don't go thru the strictest of QC programs. I was a QC and Manufacturing processes engineer before leaving the office world. It all falls back on Ridgid in the end, BUT design has little to do with it, and QC has everything to do with it. Ridgid tools are widely known to be clones of other mfgs. If other clones happen to have hit and miss quality, why would Rdigid be immune if they use the same offshore manufacturing houses?

Comment

Certainly design has everything to do with a quality product. A crap design, implemented perfectly (thus passing all QC requirements)...is still crap.

Comment

My experience is that this can happen no matter where you purchase the product from. Every one practically has the same kind of stuff no matter what the brand. I have tried four different brands and the best two I have found is craftsman and ridgid. I have had my craftsman set for five years the only thing I don't like it is that the 19.2 V cordless trim saw it kills the battery in a few minutes as to where my drill will last a few hrs and it can't cut through a .50 " piece of plywood with out stopping. My Ridgid tools have worked just as well and in some cases better. I have a Porter Router that I thought could not be beat but my new Ridgid router holds it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
                        Certainly design has everything to do with a quality product. A crap design, implemented perfectly (thus passing all QC requirements)...is still crap.
                        My point is the offshore companies contracted to make the tools under the Ridgid name don't have much for QC inspections. The designs are sound for the most part, otherwise a tool could not be tuned to work properly by the home user (engineer or not).

Comment

Working...
                        X