X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 Granite surface

I just purchased a R4511 after reading all the posts I came to the same conclusion it was way too much saw for the money to pass up. I degeotiated the last one in stock for and extra $50 off the $499 clearence price.

The top was dissapointing in it is faded and cloudy. I do not detect any surface blemish or damage but am wondering if there is a treatment for granite that will refresh, polish, protect....etc.

I began looking online at "Granite" but that is way to general on different types of stone, selection procedure, blah blah blah. I just want to know how to best prepare my R4511 not the kitchen sink.

Also just caught that cool upgrade on the cabinate door access. Exactly my next move now I know where to go. Thanks.

I need the Dado throat plate. Get Ridgid's or is there a better option. Kinda cheap that it doesn't come with it.

I look forward to shareing tips with you in the future. And now I am going to see about getting dibs on the "demo" units granite top for back up.

Re: R4511 Granite surface

Take the top and buff it down with some Johnsons Paste Wax.. Same as you would a cast iron top.. It will be slick as glass and shine rather well.

Far as a Dado throat plate, I made my own out of ply, though it was crappy ply and will be replaced. It's not hard at all, especially since the plate is basically square. There are some sources for ZCIs online however.. Lets see.. This is one..

http://www.forrestsawbladesonline.co..._City_w_o.html

The above is WITHOUT the riving knife slot.. Since you need a dado plate, no need for it.. There is another with it.

It's easy to build your own however.. I've got some UHMW plastic coming in from peachtree that I'll be using to make three ZCIs.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/uhmwproducts.htm

Far as how to make them yourself.. This shows a nice bit of work on them.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/19276

Comment

DarkWolf thanks, Just what I wanted to know. Guys at HD weren't very helpfull. I had to run out yesterday to see if I could get my hands on last floor unit of 4511 for parts. They'd crushed it. Bummer. NO Doubt about discontinued model now.

ZCI was my next project. Not sure what I'll use. Birch, UHMW but thanks for the info.

Comment

Stevo...welcome to the forum. there is a lot of info here that will be useful to you as a 4511 owner and as a table saw owner. you might want to check this thread:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25836

the downloadable document is an excellent paper on aligning the top of the 4511 for other than 90 degree bevel rip cuts. there are also threads on outfeed tables and router tables for the 4511 that should help you maximize the utility of your 4511. HTH.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Stevo -

Did the wax clear up your cloudy granite issue?

I too have a cloudy surface on areas of my new R4511. I tried wiping it down with just a damp sponge and then buffing it dry with some paper towels. No change. There were areas, finger sized if you will, that repelled moisture, but after drying these areas too returned to their cloudy look.

Comment

Didn't try wax paper. UseD a car wax. Figured wax is wax. It was Carnauba cleaner wax by Turtle wax. Worked pretty good. Took a lot of the hazzy dry look out. Then I ran across a can of BEE,S WAX Old World Furniture Polish. That really knocked the slick factor up a little. I don't even know where this can came from....me or the ol lady but I'm sure theres other stuff like it. I TESTED ON A SMALL PATCH FIRST BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. SUGGEST THE SAME TO ANYONE ELSE AS WELL. As well as make it really slick it made the top look real nice, give 'er a try.

Comment

You should stay away from car waxes due to the silicone content which can contaminate your work and mess up the finishing process.

A standard Johnsons paste wax is all you need. Wal*Mart, in the chemical isle by the laundry detergent, floor cleaners and such.

Not required or suggested AT ALL for granite tops, but if you have any tool with cast iron and need to buff out some rust spots, also pick up a can of Barkeeps Friend over in the same location. Then follow up with some paste wax when finished.

Comment

Good catch on the silicone Darkwolf. I have a can of Johnsons paste wax for a variety of woodworking related purposes. I'll give 'er a try this evening.

Comment

Totally unaware on the silicone issue. Thanks.

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I think I can add a bit. I spoke with a granite installer about how to clean up the top before sealing/polishing. He said they use acetone to clean the surface. My top had packaging residue and some high spots from the epoxy filler. I used a 1 sided razor blade to scrape off excess.

He did not give me any advice on sealers or wax, though. But he did recommend trying a piece before doing the whole thing. If granite is accepting water, it will accept other liquids and should be sealed. It seems like paste wax would do the job .(I, too, have a can of Johnson's that lived under my cast iron saw). Sealer will not change the finish of the granite after it is absorbed. I'm sure wax will polish the top and make it smoother to slide the wood over. I would avoid using granite 'polish' as that type of product is actually removing material.

So, to summarize. I'm going to test on the right wing table (that I'm not using). I'm going to do another stripping with acetone and one sided razor. Apply a granite/stone sealer. Polish with Johnson's paste wax.

Comment

You're up early!

Interested in how this turns out. I used a Simple Green type product before I waxed mine, but it turned out pretty streaky looking. I can't seem to polish out the swirls from applying the wax.

If the acetone works, I'll try stripping the wax, and reapplying after acetone.

Let us know.
                      Thanks.

Comment

I have a can of Gelcoat that I bought years ago and never used, I wonder if that would work?
                        What about car wax?
                        Bert
                        Last edited by b2rtch; 01-28-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

According to this website , Gelgloss is the way to go:
                          How to Create a Shine On a Granite Countertop

http://www.ehow.com/how_4788862_crea...ountertop.html

tips to shine granite

Well lets face it, you went the extra yard, you invested in the best possible products for your kitchen. After all the kitchen is the most important room in your house. When your granite countertop was installed it look spectacular. When the lights hit it you needed sunglasses. But as the months passed so did your counters appearance. The shine was gone, as well as the overall appearance. The money you spent on the granite seems to be a waste. Have no fear , after reading some quick tips, your granite countertop will be born again, and shine like never before.

Difficulty: Easy
                          Instructions

Things You'll Need:

• few soft rags
                          • all purpose dish detergent
                          • stone & granite wax

1. Step 1

grandma's apple pie
                            Did you ever wonder , when your new kitchen was complete, you felt so proud of the stylish appearance. When guest arrived they couldn't keep their eyes off your glimmering granite counter. But for some reasons, things have changed, now you try to cover your counter with some of grandma's apple pie assortment. First of all I'll begin by saying my tips will help restore and shine your granite as well as finding a charming area for that pie!!!!!!!!!
                          2. Step 2
                            Understanding granite care is somewhat familiar to the care of a car outer surface. When wanting your car to shine what's the process? Wash it, dry it, apply wax, (let dry ) buff clean. Most of the same concepts are true with granite care. Before starting any waxing process, the surface being waxed must be clean. Appling wax over dirt actual buries the grim .Since granite counters are the subject we are defining, they must be grim and dirt free. To achieve dirt free granite counters I use a simple procedure. Wet the counter, place drops of concentrate mild dish detergent, every few inches. Put some elbow grease to work and clean the granite. Make sure you let the counter air dry completely.
                          3. Step 3

Gel-gloss works the best
                            At this point, don't be concerned with the shine of your granite, just reassure no dirt is hidden . A quick tip, run your hand across the granite to feel for any grim missed in the cleaning stage. OK, finally were going to wax away. There are many products on the market, My vote by far is a product called GELL-GlOSS. I've tried at least 15 different so called granite waxes, but this one works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          4. Step 4

let it shine
                            Gell-gloss is available in a spray, so applying is easy. Spray the wax on, try to cover entire counter, but not to heavy. With a soft rag make circle motions on counter to create circles on counter. This tip is going to give your granite extra glimmer. LET WAX THROUGHOULY DRY, wait until wax turns to a haze. A good test for dried wax, make a mark in the wax with your finger. If the wax comes off easily, it's dry. If it smudges is still wet. Once wax is dry, buff with a separate clean soft rag. Your shine should be returning. Repeat process often to achieve maximum results
                          What I do not know is the effect of this product on wood.
                          Does any one know?

Bert

Comment

For pete sake people, it's a table saw. It doesn't have to look like it's in your kitchen just because it's got a granite top.

For that matter, it's not even a high end table saw.

Clean it with acetone.. Scrape it with a blade and wax it with Johnsons paste wax.

If you're getting swirls, your wax coat is too thick. Buff it out with a cotton rag.

If you're obsessive about it, get a low RPM buffer.. Then go buff your car while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf View Post
                              For pete sake people, it's a table saw. It doesn't have to look like it's in your kitchen just because it's got a granite top.

For that matter, it's not even a high end table saw.

Clean it with acetone.. Scrape it with a blade and wax it with Johnsons paste wax.

If you're getting swirls, your wax coat is too thick. Buff it out with a cotton rag.

If you're obsessive about it, get a low RPM buffer.. Then go buff your car while you're at it.
                              I think its for those of us that have granite top saws, but our wives dont have granite countertops.

Ive rubbed that one in a few times

Comment

Working...
                              X