Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building My Shop - What Should The Next Tool Be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building My Shop - What Should The Next Tool Be?

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
    Well, how could anyone survive without an air compressor??? get one bigger than you need... you won't be disappointed. Then you should get a decent finish nailer. A drill press is basic. Get some decent drill bits and sanding drums. Paint guns are great but wouldn't be my priority... A dado set for your table saw...
    Absolutely, no matter what size compressor you get, you'll grow into it. Keep in mind that the cheap $20 finish nailers that they sell at Harbor Freight work really well, even better than some of the more expensive ones I've had. They're hard to kill, accurate and if they do die, go get another one, they're cheap. Paint guns, depending on what kind of finishing you're doing are a good idea, but like you said, not an absolute priority. I'd say a good dado set is a much higher priority, it's one of those things that you wonder how you ever lived without it once you have one.

And of course, no one can ever have too many clamps. Ever.

Comment

I also believe that an air compressor is the next tool. Depending on where you are going to have it located (inside or outside) on the type though. If it is inside get a quiet oiled one. All of mine are oil-free and they are loud. Also, depending on how much portability you are going to want don't go too big.

As far as the Harbor Freight nail guns are concerned, I had two of them for a while and I thought they were great. Then, I got some better quality ones and I realized that the HF guns were fair. My money would be better spent on better quality nail than one that I would have to replace or fix jams on a regular basis.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kev Dog View Post
        As far as the Harbor Freight nail guns are concerned, I had two of them for a while and I thought they were great. Then, I got some better quality ones and I realized that the HF guns were fair. My money would be better spent on better quality nail than one that I would have to replace or fix jams on a regular basis.
        I can't remember ever having to clear a jam on my HF nailer, unlike my Senco. But keep in mind this is for a person just starting out with a limited amount of money. Paying $20 for a fair nailer is going to be better than looking at a $150 Paslode or $100 Senco and not being able to afford it. Every purchase is a trade-off unless you have infinite finances.

Comment

Ridgid's oscillating sander is really cool... just bought one myself... very handy... $200 bucks before the 15% friends and family discount.

Comment

Working...
          X