X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What are you making for Christmas?

For the past couple of weekends I have been covertly working on a 7' Cherry Dining table for my wife. The bottom is all solid maple with turned maple legs. I just completed the top today. Need to do final sanding and finishing.

Here is what I started with:

Cherry on the left and Maple on the right. All is 6/4.

Here is bottom assembled and dry fit:

Aprons are true 4/4 with a 3 1/2" leg at the top.

To show the detail of the bead profile on the bottom edge of the apron:

The table has been transported from one friends house to another. I have been driving 1.5 hours to work on it. My wife believes my friend has really just needed some help. Now it is only 20 mins away so I can get to it more easily and do the final finish in time for Christmas. Then there is the group of guys on board for the 2AM Christmas eve sneaky drop off!!!

After all this work, I just hope she doesn't hear us coming in the house with it.

Comment

Picture of the top glued up. The morning after the glue up. Ready to take the clamps off and cut to final dimensions.

End view of table after final dimensioning. Sorry for the blurry pic.

Beginning the final sanding and prepping for finish.

The biggest problem for me is finishing. I have a number of ideas. With a project like this, I want more of my wife's input at this time. I want this to be done just like she would want. I am not ultimately pleased with where I have to work to finish the table so that my wife doesn't see it. I think I may bring it home for Christmas day, raw and unfinished and then finish it after she knows about it and I can work where I am comfortable.

Comment

Nice looking table canderso. And the idea to play it safe and let her pick the
        finish may be the best way to go. For the table I am building for my daughter,
        I have a good idea from her talking to her sister (the other daughter) my wife
        what she wants in the way of color.

Make that part of the gift, her getting to select the finish that is.

I started putting the finish on my table this afternoon. I am using Rockler's
        #31414 "Rockler Mission Stain Chery" on red oak and it is looking great so far.
        This is a gel stain and goes down nice and even with good control over color.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 12-13-2009, 05:38 PM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the comment Bob. I actually relocated to NJ last year. Are you familiar with any good woodworking shops in the S NJ area?

Comment

This chrismas would be the most happening as me along with my friends are moving to
            Miami. It would be most exciting moment for all of us. Every one of us are eagerly waiting for that moment. The whole schedule are preplanned on the eve of Christmas. We all would be in the mood of dance.
            ingwer

Comment

Everyone has great gifts they have made. The table is beautiful canderso and I hope to start one after the first of the year.....again I hope. This year i also made cutting boards but at the last minute I made my wife a simple little back scratcher. She has been asking for several months now for one, so instead of buying one I just made one real quick.
              Power tools and accessories for man cave $5000. Wood to make things $1400. Ending up making a single cutting board for a gift…….Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by canderso View Post
                Thanks for the comment Bob. I actually relocated to NJ last year. Are you familiar with any good woodworking shops in the S NJ area?
                If you mean retail stores like Woodcraft or Rockler there are none.

There is a Woodcraft in Delaware just across the bridge about 4 miles near the airport.

Just outside Philly is MLCS Woodworking.

From their website:
                Click HERE to see a map and directions to the MLCS Woodworkers Showroom
                Located in suburban Philadelphia, 2381 Philmont Ave., Huntingdon Valley, PA, 215-938-5067

Click HERE for directions to the MLCS Showroom by Google™ Maps

There is the Woodworking Show in Baltimore in early January. It is about 2 hours away and easy to get to.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                ---------
                ---------

Comment

Finally got some photos of the table I made for my daughter
                  for Christmas (see post #2 in this thread).

Click image for larger version

Name:	470a14c872ee9f0ccf87729b917f5513.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	11020

Click image for larger version

Name:	96601b8b1a4d2397e2621ce7878f660f.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	11021

This table is made to be easy to transport by removing the legs.
                  Two 5/16 nuts on each leg (visible in the underside photo) allow
                  the legs to be removed with just one wrench.

Now it's time to start on projects for next Christmas.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 05-29-2010, 09:23 AM.
                  ---------------
                  ---------------
                  ---------
                  ---------

Comment

Christmas is a day were we enjoy lot we share something with friends and we exchange a gift .this Christmas is very special for me because thi Christmas i made On Chocolate Cake with Nuts . All friends like My cake and all give me thanks for cake and we enjoy lot on that day .
                    Dell coupon code

Comment

Working...
                    X