X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you making for Christmas?

I figured I was taking it sort of easy this year, I did six complex scrollsaw puzzles, complete with custom wooden boxes and even though there was a really, really complicated one I wanted to do for my wife, her birthday is in January so it wouldn't kill me if I just waited until then. All of the puzzles were complete, I was just finishing up staining the boxes (in fact, one of them is drying as we speak) and all was good in the world.

Then on Thanksgiving, we were at my mother-in-law's house and she's got a table littered with little frames that fall over and take up a ton of space. I suggested that I make her a nice folding frame to clear up some space. Boy, was that a mistake. Now I'm up to 4 frames for various people, maybe five. I should have kept my mouth shut.

So what's everyone else making this year?

Re: What are you making for Christmas?

Building a kitchen table for the youngest daughter and SIL for their new apartment.

Attachment

Free plans at www.woodsmithshop.com
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

good looking table, are you going to make the chairs as well?

G3

Comment

No, no time for chairs. Got started too late for that.
        I've got the table legs and skirt completed, and the table
        top is together but need to treat the edges. Then just
        mount the top on the skirt and finish everything. The
        legs and skirt will be painted white, and the top with a
        clear finish just as the photo shows which will look great
        in her kitchen.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 12-01-2009, 08:01 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Well, if you count it.. Working on a fireplace mantel for the house.. We'd been without one for almost two years, so thought I'd get it done.. Having it in place and the fireplace operational again is my gift to my wife.

The other is tools that I will not touch... This time... I refuse to ever use them... I swear... .... .... ....

Comment

Last year I made lots of cutting boards, this year it seems to be serving trays. For the trays I use alternate colors of wood (maple and walnut) and when the grain is interesting enough bookmatch the panel for the tray bottom. Can make for a dramatic effect. I should take a pic.

Its fun to do these as I get to do some re-sawing on the bandsaw. Re-sawing is turning into one my favorite tasks.

Comment

I'm making a Walnut toy chest for my daughter. It's one of my larger undertakings, so far, with 6 hand planed raised panels, book-matched grain on the "legs", bread-board edges with maple pegs for the lid, as well as the occasional sap-wood accent.

I'm hoping to get it done by xmas, but... can't say, for sure. She's only 3 months old, so I don't think she'll mind, either way

--Jeff

Comment

I am going to be making wooden Christmas ornaments of my company logo and then I am going to hand them out as gifts
                Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Last year I made my wife a custom 8-foot tall oak bookcase and I barely got it done in time (the finish may have still been slightly wet, luckily I didn't have to actually install it until about a week later) so I figured I needed a break.

At least all the puzzles are done, the boxes are all stained and drying and I should have them all finished and wrapped tomorrow. Then it's off to my hardwood supplier to see what I feel like making all these frames out of. I keep reminding my wife that there was a giant $1500 slab of mahogany at the local Rockler I could use...

Three weeks left, five frames to do. Whee.

Comment

Cookies!!!

Comment

End grain cutting boards...

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                        End grain cutting boards...

Very nice. I need to make a large replacement built-in cutting board for the kitchen one of these days, I've just never gotten around to it.

Comment

Almost done...built a new place to hang our stockings this year! A gas fireplace, hearth, and mantel for our family room.

Comment

hewood

That looks great. Nice work

Comment

I'm making up a nice big batch of my almost famous HUSH HOUND #3 which has many goodies added to the regular HUSH HOUND. Then all the hungry hounds in my area will have something good to eat on Christmas day. There are too many that go hungry so I'm hoping some can eat up besides me. If I end up having to eat it all, I'll be so sick that I'll gladly go hungry in January.
                              Last edited by Woussko; 12-13-2009, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X