X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro-fitting Delta T2 on R4511

Assembling the R4511 was pretty smooth and easy. A few hours was about it.

I have a Delta T2 fence that I bought last year for my craftsman contractor saw and decided I prefer this fence over the Ridgid fence. The Delta fence system is just stouter.

Anyway, it has been a project but short of drilling the holes in the rail and tapping 'em, I've got it all figured out. So if anyone is considering upgrading to the T2 fence, I've got the scoop on how to do it.

Re: Retro-fitting Delta T2 on R4511

Take pics and show us your handy work when it's done. I am still using the stock fence on my R4511. It works great, but the T2 is a beefier system and I would use it if I had it too. Good luck... Measure 5 times, drill and tap once

Comment

I've already made a couple of trips to the hardware store with one more to go.

If I already didn't have the T2, the stock fence would probably serve my purposes just fine.

I may even take pictures along the way.

Comment

Sure... Snap some pics, eh... Be handy for those wishing to change over.

Oddly enough, people love to post the finished product, but you can never get them to post anything further about it... Even asking for closer pictures is worthless... Blast them.

Like a certain router table extension that someone did for the R4511... Got a nice long shot, but no details.

Comment

I'm not one for photo taking, but for this project I think I will bite the bullet. Of course I'll edit out the gaffs, goofs and assorted blunders so that I look like a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolf View Post
            Sure... Snap some pics, eh... Be handy for those wishing to change over.

Oddly enough, people love to post the finished product, but you can never get them to post anything further about it... Even asking for closer pictures is worthless... Blast them.

Like a certain router table extension that someone did for the R4511... Got a nice long shot, but no details.

I agree on that one... It was a nice looking router extension too.

Comment

I purchased a brand new T2 fence from a local Rockler store that was closing for $25.00. The rails were missing but for 25 bucks I figured I could use it for something. Compared to the stock 4511 fence it is much more robust, with a wider clamping area, nice aluminum faces, and much better build quality. As far as mounting on the 4511 it looks like the only modification that you need to do is mount the front rail lower.

millman

Comment

millman - The mounting points on the table are fixed unlike on a cast iron top where you can drill new mounting holes. As a result, the front angle iron bracket from the T2 will not work. The angle iron for the R4511 works so long as your shim the rail.

I'll have a more detailed accounting of my steps soon.

Comment

Well, I ran into a couple of problems.

First problem is when using the stock Delta angle iron the rail is about 3/8" proud of the miter slots. After a couple of days of trying to think a way around this, I decided to try the angle iron that came with the saw. Well that left the rail about 1/2" to low. No problem, I got three 1/8" x 1 1/2" x 36" aluminum stock to shim the rail up to the right height. I had to drill and tap holes in the rail to match up to the angle iron.

I lined everything up, bolted it down and all looked good. Then I set the fence on the rail, adjusted the faces and viola! Got 'er done.

Well, soon as I slide the fence left of the blade the faces bottomed out on the top. As I moved the fence to the right the gap between the top and fence face grew.

I could not figure out what in the world would cause this. I was measuring a rise from left to right of .07"! the angle iron was perfectly parallel to the top so nothing there to cause the problem. The rail was straight as an arrow.

Turns out the lower edge of the angle iron is not consistently square from one end to the other. I can shim up the aluminum shims for now, but I will need to get a new rail to make it work.

I guess it's just always something.
                  Last edited by SpiffPeters; 12-06-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X