X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my ridgid bandsaw solutions

Hi first time poster long time lurker here. I recently got a bid on a custom armoire. in the bid the cleint was to provide the wood and they assured me that it would all be 4/4. well long story short about 10% of the lumber was 4/4 the rest was between 6 and 10/4 so i had a small resawing problem on my hands. so after much searching and hulla ballew i did some reworking of the lowly bs14002. Firstly i addressed the flimsy stand. i simply made a cabinet on wheels that brought the table height down to the same height as my ts3650. the cabinet is made from baltic birch ply and the cab top and table extensions are 1-1/4" ply. next i did the balancing act on the wheels and got some urethane tires. it was really remarkable the amount of material i had to remove to get the wheels balanced( if i did it again i would use self adhesive weights).then i added a grizzly riser block and the wood slicer bs blade. next thing i did may be a little unorthodox but it really seems to have worked out rather nicely. i wanted a little more power out of the bs so i took the motor from my ts3650 and with some new cast and machined pulleys attached it to my bs. i also upped the hp on my ts to 2 hp which really is nice as well. so all in all i now have a bs that is capable of resawing 12" white oak and passes the nickle test and my table saw is more of a hoss now as well
    Attached Files

Re: my ridgid bandsaw solutions

Excellent bit of re-engineering. Are the table "wings" on the saw easily removable? Or have you decided to dedicate the machine to resawing?

Comment

that is a very impresseive set up! while i'd love a few more photos of the guts you constructed, maybe you can answer 2 quick questions: 1. did you really find resawing using a post better than a fence? 2. when you changed to a link belt, which pulleys, if any, did you change from stock. any info is appreciated.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

thanks for the responses guys . first the wings are removed some what easily about 6 drywall screws but as of yet they havent been in the way. they just support whatever your cutting more and/or a cup o'joe. as to the link belt i imagine that in the stock configuration there would be no pulley change necessary, in my case however, because i swapped my tablesaw motor on to my band saw i had to "gear down" the 3450 rpms so i used an 1 1/2" pulley on the motor and an 8"pulley on the bandsaw. which brings the rpms down to about 860 rpm which in turn spins the blade at about 3100 fpm. the resaw fence vs post i found it easier to get a consistent 90 degrees with the post that with a full fence mostly because of the drag of the fence(more contact area = more drag) and the weight of the beams if i were resawing smaller lumber i might go with a fence but there is no tuning "on the fly " with a fence
        Attached Files

Comment

but the pulleys weren't designed specifically for use with a link belt, right? the pulleys were regular pulleys, just the diameters necessary to provide the desired blade speed, right? so, if i wanted to add a link belt to a band saw, i wouldn't have to change the pulleys? thanks.

Comment

Very nice. I like your 'lowered' stand and resaw extensions.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

finer9998- yes the pulleys are standard. and i like to post a correction about the resaw post vs fence earlier i posted some thing about the drag of a fence well that wasnt entirely accurate it wasnt some much "drag " as i found my self spending as much "focus" on th edge of the fence to the edge of the board as i was spending "focus" on the blade to board which netted me a wavey cut. with just the post all of my attention is where the action is happening i.e. the blade and the cut , and this nets me a much finer cut with fewer passes thru the planer

Comment

That's a nice bench you built. I am impressed that the Ridgid can resaw such large dimension lumber. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have just assembeled my new rigid bs, do the link belts help to reduce the vibration? Or is more do to the stand?

thanks
                  Darryl

Comment

Originally posted by DSLANEY View Post
                    I have just assembeled my new rigid bs, do the link belts help to reduce the vibration? Or is more do to the stand?

thanks
                    Darryl
                    Search the forum and you'll find a wide range of things to lessen vibration. The most effective thing is to balance the wheels. The link belt offers little to fix an imbalance in the wheels as this saw is known to have. The only issue with the stand is that it does nothing to lessen vibration for it's lack of rigidity.

Comment

Thanks again everyone, so heres and update on things.
                      well i got quite a bit of resawing done, went thru all the oak and started on some poplar 6" thick or so . I got down to my last board to resaw and started it and got about half way thru and the cut started going haywire and then it threw the blade. Upon inspection the upper wheel tensioner hinge apparently had had enough and exploded into bits . so i ordered the replacement part and it's in route. i went to ereplacement parts to order while i was there i looked up a simialr delta bs and the tensioner hinge assembly looks like a much better design and will probably fit, albeit another 100 bucks or so to throw at this saw. if i wasnt in such a rush to get this job done i would have ordered those parts... next time. i am sure that there will a next time too. here are some photos
                      Attached Files

Comment

wow! That is the first I have seen of that happening on this saw. By the re-sawn lumber pile I can tell you have really put your new set-up through its paces.

Comment

How much blade tension were you running? The Delta part is probably
                          made from the same metal so may not be any stronger unless you can
                          see it is beafier on the parts page.

Maybe when this job is over look into a bigger BS like a Grizzley or Lugana
                          16" or the Rikon 14" model 10-325 which has 2 speeds, CI wheels, 13" resaw
                          capacity out of the box and can take up to a 3/4" blade for $799.

Sorry RIDGID but people here have been telling you for years that your BS
                          needs an extreme makeover. I like RIDGID Tools overall but I find it hard to
                          recommend the BS1400.

You need a new tool.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

What do you have setup around your stack of resawn lumber? A drying tent?

Comment

smd... a further question about the pulleys. when u stated they are standard, did u mean they werre the pulleys that originally came with the band saw, or that they were a "standard" type pulley that's available through many sources? thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X