Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubinga Table-please advise!

http://c:\desktop\IMAG0063.jpg

Today was an interesting day. I toured a Lumber Mill that has only Hardwoods, and many of them exotics. I found a piece of waterfall Bubinga that was 43 inches wide, 15/16th thick, and 10 feet long. It is sanded on the one side. This is a beautiful, one of a kind piece of lumber. It goes from bark to bark and have the edges where the bark was connected. This is a very expensive piece of stock, very expensive, so I don't take this lightly. I intend on making a Dining Room Table from this piece of wood. I would consider it desecration to cut this piece into smaller pieces.

My question is this: How would you finish it out. Would you make legs from 3x3's or 4x4's, or would you use turned legs. How would you attach the legs to the table, or what sort of structure would you build under the table to hold it together as a unit? What sort of suggestions do you have for expansion and or contraction of this wood.

I truly believe this presents me with a once in a lifetime opportunity. Tell me if you agree and advise me of how you would proceed. I have my own ideas but am interested in fielding other views to challenge mine in order to get to the best possible solution.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    Last edited by skocars; 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM. Reason: picture did not come in

Re: Bubinga Table-please advise!

Please try and post the picture again -- you're referencing a path on your local drive (which is therefore inaccessible).

I'm a fan of trestle's for large tops like this.

Something like this, perhaps:
    http://woodlandcreekfurniture.com/gr...tle%20Base.jpg
    http://www.woodlandcreekfurniture.co...Design%201.jpg

Comment

Re: Bubinga Table-please advise!

Easy there grasshopper. If you know nothing about supports, wood expansion, etc, then you will need to learn. If you have the $$ for this piece of wood and it does not break the bank, buy it and find a dry shaded spot to store it. Then look for a design of support that will compliment what you imagine the wood should be. While looking, also take note of contrasting or similar woods that will showcase the top. Develop your skills on less expensive woods and then bring your imagination into reality. Do not ignore the need for finishing skills as well as woodworking.

Reality: Many types of support will handle a 10' table top, but all depend on the structure that will hold them. Trestle supports, pier supports, leg/apron supports are all feasible. Attaching the supports down the centerline, with floating supports for the width will address wood expansion issues. Realize that the bottom only needs to be machined (i.e. flattened, etc) where the supports contact it. Many older masterpieces were only finished and smoothed on the visible surfaces. However, skill with hand tools may be the answer to make this happen.

Fix the link to the image, and I am sure you will get more input, but evidently you saw something in your mind, and only you know what that is, so only you will recognize the right solution. That will take some time looking at custom furniture pages to give you the ideas that then you can bring here to get advice on how to bring them together.

Wish I had room for a 10' dining table!!

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
      X