X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in your dream shop?

If money were no object, (come on lottery!) what machines would you have in your shop?

Ignoring the money is no object, because the answer to that is "everything"
    1. Must have a precision saw - good table saw is today's answer, but I am still using a radial arm saw.
    2. Jointer
    3. Thickness planer
    4. Band Saw
    5. Router with home-made table
    6. Sanders
    7. Chop saw (miter saw) if you dont have a radial arm saw
    8. Lathe (I have had a cheap one for a long time, but will get a good one at this point in the list)

The scary thing is this is basically the order I got things, and was the same order recommended in a book I recently saw.

Other things that go without saying...
    Lots of clamps - GOOD clamps. (the $40 kind, not the $10 kind)
    Battery operated drill with screwdriver bits
    Good bench

Comment

well lets see "my dream shop" and "money no object". I guess the first thing would be "ME!!!"
      i'm never there enough and everyone seems to think money isn't necessary cause its for "family" anyway

Comment

I'm really pretty happy with the tools I have now---oh, a cabinet saw would be nice , but I guess I would like to have a lathe and a radial arm saw to complement my table saw.

However, if I struck the LOTO, I'd have to say top-of-the-list---a new shop, where I didn't have to share it with a car and have every thing on casters . Wife would be forbidden from putting her overflow of Costco purchases in my dream shop and there would be no storage of Christmas decorations
        Dave

Comment

Radiant Floor heat!
          Support Our Troops!
          www.mnpatriotguard.org
          www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Keystone, I wholeheartedly agree that radiant heat would be the best! What I'm really asking on this thread is this: What are the ABSOLUTE BEST machines on the market? Hypothetically, let's say you have $100,000 to spend on just machines for your home woodshop. What makes/models would you buy? Trying to find the TOP OF THE LINE, something to dream about .

Comment

John

I guess that would depend on the type of work one plans on doing. A CNC router can use up th 100K with out even trying. If on the other hand you are looking at a small hobby shop, well the sky is the limit I guess. I would love a Laguna cab saw, but could not justify one. Even a PM66 is on the high end for my needs. Wants on the otherhand... I will be looking at a cabinet saw in the future. Since Rigid does not make one, I'll most likly get a JET. Incra 3000 mitre, Incra fence. Tormec sharpening system. Top of the line dust collection (Penn) Large hardwood bench with nice big wood vise (3 ea), Downdraft sanding center.

Of course the list would be different for everyone. I personally would spend a bunch on hand tools. Planes and saws as well as detail chisels.

But for now I'm happy with what I've got (Really!)
              Support Our Troops!
              www.mnpatriotguard.org
              www.patriotguard.org

Comment

True "top of the line" is out of pretty much every home range. Just the size of a top end European panel saw is astonishing. A friend of mine has a saw like this one: http://www.stiles-machinery.com/f45/index.html . It requires over 20 feet of space, front to rear. F-45s run roughly in the $30,000+ range. Martin CNC tablesaws, on the other hand, can get pricey... http://www.martin-usa.com/

For American style cabinet saws, many consider Northfield to be the best in production today: http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/tablesaws/4saw.htm . The basic model lists at $10,700, but options can take that to nearly three times as much.

Ah, to dream... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dave

Comment

Howdy. I am considering a TS 2424 after a Tools of the Trade review. Learned of this forum as a result.

My dream shop at this point is one with:

Enough floor space and storage (a double garage)
                  Solid workbench with Record vice
                  10" Table Saw w/Biesemeyer fence
                  Jointer (8")
                  Planer (12" portable)
                  Bandsaw
                  Router Table
                  Drill Press
                  Compressor with finish and brad nailers
                  Assorted Hand Tools
                  Dust collection
                  So many clamps of all kinds that I never need more
                  One wall dedicated to all the jigs I make to maximize all those tools!

Comment

Well Cypress, I'd say you've got it down pretty good! More space is always a priortiy. I tripled my shop space two years ago and have already run out of room!
                    Support Our Troops!
                    www.mnpatriotguard.org
                    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Thanks, Dave. That's the kind if info I was looking for! I'm dreaming of a high-end table saw and a large band saw, just think of the damage I could do (to my checkbook!)!

Comment

John, if you're up for a little road trip late in August, the grandaddy woodworking show is in Atlanta this year. International Woodworking Fair is where you can see the big boys: http://www.iwf2002.com/ . Looks like it will be a bit over 18 acres, I'll be there 3 days and don't expect to come close to seeing everything.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X