X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 27" wide router table 61181

I saw this at Sears last week, and it looks like it will fit perfectly between the rails of a Ridgid table saw (with or without the legs) . Has mounting slots on the sides and rear, and it's 1-1/2 inch thick, same thickness as the Ridgid's extension table. Cost $199.99, comes with a fence and 2 featherboards. This is much cheaper than the bench dog, but I started to look around to see if there other models that are also 27" wide (old Sears catalog, ebay, etc.,) that maybe simpler and cheaper. I don't use the router that much, but this will be perfect as my table saw's extension, standing by as a router table just in case I need it.. (I can build one, but I'd rather get one ready made if the price is right). Maybe there is a forum member here who has seen or knows of another 27" model, or another brand, not as expensive as this (definitely not the bench dog).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ajsons; 12-07-2009, 08:24 PM.

Re: Craftsman 27" wide router table 61181

It's cheaper than the Bench Dog because it's an aluminum table and not cast iron. At one point in time I had an aluminum table that I got from Wolfcraft and didn't like it very much. On of the biggest problems I had with the aluminum top was that it was always leaving black marks on my work pieces, YRMV. Quite honestly, I think that at $199 that setup is way over priced for what you're getting.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Badger Dave on the price and certainly on the "aluminum". I had a much smaller aluminum router table and in spite of it's re-inforcing ribs on the underside, the darn thing sagged with the weight of even a small router. While not immediately apparent, leaving the router in place even for a couple of days caused it to sag almost a 1/16th.

I'm not a big fan of having a router mounted on the table saw, as I much prefer the advantage of have a tool separate and ready to go. But, I do understand the attraction for double purpose or limited space.

I have a Rockler table top and though prices are quite competive, it appears the table is too large at 24 x 32. They offer three different types/materials, starting with a thick MDF with laminate surface, a solid phenolic, and a cast iron. The latter two are Bench Dog products. (Here's a link to Rockler's site: http://www.rockler.com/CategoryView.cfm?Cat_ID=90)

I've had the MDF top for a couple of years now and am quite happy with it. It comes complete with fence and router mounting plate, etc.; and I built my own leg set. But, I'm sure there are other competitors like Hartville Tool, Lee-Valley, etc. Or, you could simply pick a material and build your own top, mounting it as you wish. There are certainly plenty of accessories out there and I know Rockler (and others) supply fences, plates, feather boards, etc.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for your inputs, Badger Dave & CWS. I never had a router table, and was not aware of the disadvantages of an aluminum table. It looks like I will be building one.

Comment

www.mlcswoodworking.com is another source, as well as www.mulecab.com but I heard they may temporarilry be out of their 27" router table.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

See at busybee tools for 125$ incl. Fence and dust port.
            http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B2594

ROUTER TABLE W/FENCE
            Item No: B2594
            Router Table With Fence

This router table can handle it all. The table measures 27" x 23 1/2" x 1 3/8"
            and comes with a 3/4" mitre track and fence track already installed.
            There is a custom fit table insert 12" x 9" x 3/8" with removable insert rings
            so you can use large bits. The split fence design gives you two 12" x 6" x 1"
            MDF fence extensions with T-track installed.
            The fence extensions are attached to a 24" x 3" x 3" aluminum fence.

Comment

Bob D. and Boogatoo,

Those are really the kind of info I was looking for!!!!!!!
              I never wanted that Craftsman in the first place!!

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X