Bubinga Table

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubinga Table

Sorry for my inability to post a photograph. Thanks to Francisco, I can now post a picture, so here is a picture of the Waterfall Bubinga I am contemplating buying. It is 15/16th thick and sanded, 43 inches wide and 10 feet long. Ten feet is too big, I would probably have to cut it shorter and perhaps make an end table or something. Maybe I can find a piece that is seven or eight feet long that would fit. Anyway, look at the picture and if you have any advice as to how to make this into a table, let me know. i have ideas but would like to be challenged to arrive at the best possible solution.
    Attached Files

Re: Bubinga Table

Woodworkers Journal did an article on a waterfall bubinga sofa table about a year or so ago. If you can find that maybe it will give you some ideas. They made the base/legs out of ash stained to a brown color.

If I were in your shoes I would search for other table plans and use what you like as your starting point. I ws asked to build a small kitchen table which would be my first. So I have been alooking at lots of plans to come up with a base. From my research tables dont have to be that difficult. One of the hard parts is getting a flat top and since you wont need to glue up a panel that should make it go a little easier.

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I am considering three legs on each end. Two would be at the ends in far enough to be out of the way and a third in the middle of the table width and making a nice triangle from the other two. There would be a beam going out to each end leg and a beam going the length of the table to the other group of three legs on the other end of the table. I think it is called a buckboard type of construction. The beams would be like axles on a buckboard.

Comment

If 10' is too long then your support issues are greatly reduced. I would cut that top to 6' and build a double pedastal for it. use the rest of the slab as a top for a sideboard.
        info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

That is a beautiful flitch! May I ask, how much will it cost?

I would be afraid that if I used one thin slab that large, without ripping it into smaller boards, would increase the chance of the slab warping and/or checking.

If only I was lucky enough to find a nearby supplier of rough sawn lumber
          Attached Files

Comment

I am of no help on a style for you table but I definitely share your love of the Waterfall Bubinga. Did you see the piece at the Rockler store on Main St. ? They also have a nice piece at the Woodcraft store on Seneca St.. The piece they had at the Rockler store a woman had ordered to have a table made for her husband. It was about 42" wide by 10' long and 2.5-3" thick. It was an amazing piece of art, it was way more than just a piece of wood. The idea of 6 legs sounds way to congested to me, it going to be a table not a workbench. I also like the idea of the black legs as that brings all the attention to the top, not that it will need a reason to look at it. Good luck and keep us posted. If you need a hand yell I'm not very far from you.

Comment

I did see the large piece of Babinga at the Rockler store on Transit near Sheridan. That is what set off this search. I found a Lumber yard in Olean that is terrific with more pure hardwood under roof than I have ever seen. That is where I found this piece of material.

I am off in a different direction now and am building a set of dining room chairs and a table that will be pretty rustic for our home in Utah. It will be 43" by 60" and will have two 18" leaves for an opened length of 96". The third leg on each end will be in the center of the table and provide stability when extended.

Comment

I noticed you guys were in WNY. Where are good places to buy lumber. I am new at this and have been trying to find a good place. Sorry to change subject. I saw that piece of bubinga at Rockler on Transit it really was gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by mj23457 View Post
                  I noticed you guys were in WNY. Where are good places to buy lumber. I am new at this and have been trying to find a good place. Sorry to change subject. I saw that piece of bubinga at Rockler on Transit it really was gorgeous.
                  I don't know of any place other than Craigs List. There is usualy a good variety on there, and quite a bit is dealers selling. Some very good bargains if you can buy a stack at a time and store it . I bought a stack of Cherry and a big stack of Aspen at auction last fall. Also picked up 120 ft of Black Walnut. I will go back and buy more of the Aspen in the Spring.

Comment

Working...
                  X