Clear All

• spray gun help?

I recently bought a new compressor
    33 gallon
    150 psi
    1.6 hp
    6.3 cfm @ 40 psi
    4.9 cfm @ 90 psi

I am wanting to get a spray gun to finish projects. I plan on spraying polyurethane/stain. I am also interested in painting cabinets with it. My question is, should I get a gravity feed or a siphon type sprayer? Any sugestions on brands/specs/nozzles?

I am not wanting to spend to terribly much, but I do not want junk either?

Is it possible to spray latex paint with these type of sprayers, or does it require special oil based or automotive paint? I ask because my neighbor works for sherwin wiliams and he told me he can get me a ridiculously cheap deal on latex paints only.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: spray gun help?

If it was me I would get a pressure feed gun, most siphon feed can be converted to pressure feed, even if you only get the two quart cup that is pressure feed, (I use a 2.5 gallon paint pot),

it give on complete freedom in the angle one needs/wants to hold the gun at, and it will give one consistence feed, even in heavier paints,

get some longer hoses and one will have more freedom, yes clean up is a little more, and it is best to have a separate set of hoses for pigmented paints or finishes,

(For material hose, I have gone to using a heavy plastic EVA hose that is used for NH3, in farm equipment it is cheap and is cheap enough to freely dispose of when needed or contaminated by old finish, and is chemical resistant to most any thing, and one can see the materials in it).

3/8" EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) translucent plastic tubing is available for the safe handling of Agriculture products such as Anhydrous Ammonia and Liquid Fertilizers. EVA can also be used for low pressure transfer of liquids and gases, including chemicals. Service temperature ratings of -30 Degrees F to 140 Degrees F. Maximum pressure rating is 100 PSI at 70 degrees F. " here is one place, (not an endorsement of the business, but for information purposes) http://www.murrayequipment.com/dyncat.asp?SGroup=EVA Tubing 3/8 Inch.
    the nice thing about the 2.5 gallon tanks are that one can set a gallon or even quart cans of finish inside of the tank and not have to dump it in to the tank or pressure cup,

(release the pressure slowly out of the tank or the gallon of finish will boil, as the pressure is released, like a can of pop bubbling over when opened), but it can help in mess and clean up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

You don't have enough compressor. You may run out of air (not OUT, but the pressure will drop too much) before you're done with your larger cabinet, and this will screw things up. You can't let finish materials set up while you're spraying... you have to get your coats on QUICK, or you will see it in the finish.

If you want to try, DON'T get an HVLP type gun. You don't have the air for it. Get a conventional high pressure gun, NON bleeder type (most are non-bleeders).

I have several guns, all types... either siphon (I have a Binks 2001 that is great) or a gravity cup will be fine. The siphons sometimes drip out the vent hole when you're shooting horizontal surfaces... a rag and a rubber band fixes that.

Polyurethane is tough, not a great material anyway IMO, and will be doubly tough with your rig. Try catalyzed lacquer or conversion varnish. These are modern materiuals that work much better IMO.

Why spray stain? Brushes and rags are fine for most stains and dyes... unless you're planning to tint your lcear, like they do with guitars. Spraying stain just means a mess, overspray, you'll use more material, and have to clean your gun one more time (which you will see is a chore).

Practice, practice, practice.

But you need a bigger compressor.

Comment

For that size compressor, a "detail" spray gun coupled to a 2 qt pressure pot will let you spray poly, stain, lacquer, shellac, etc. The detail gun will only give you a 4 - 6" fan pattern (compared to an 8 - 12" from a conventional gun), but uses less air and is well suited for furniture. The smaller size also makes it better for working the interiors. You can adjust a full sized conventional to do the same thing, but the compressors volume capacity will limit how large you can go for how long. In essence, you will have to dial down the full-sized gun to what the detail gun will do both on air and fluid consumption except for small areas.

FOr economies sake, to start with you may want to look at harbor freight for the pressure pot, and there or tractor supply, etc, for a small gun. After you practice a bit and learn the tools, then you can decide if a more expensive (Binks/DeVilbiss) is more to your liking.

Don't plan on shooting latex or water based coatings. (some water based coatings will work thinned with alcohol, but its a trial and error thing). That takes more volume than that compressor is rated for.

Also, do not go with anything less than 3/8" ID air hose except maybe for the last 5' from the spray gun.

I have painted 22' boats with polyurethane using a like-sized compressor and a Binks model 7 spray gun (rated for 8.5 cfm at 60 psi) with polyurethane, but it takes knowing how much you can go before you have to stop for the compressor to catch up.

Go

PS: and yes, you can spray your jeep with a conventional gun, but you will have to do it in sections.
        Last edited by Gofor; 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I disagree... sure you're going to have to slow down to let the compressor catch up... You will have to "plan" how you attack the paint job.... but it's not like you're painting a car and a pause in the middle of a panel is going to cause you huge problems.

After many, many years of being a DeVilbiss man... I switched to Binks. My Binks 2001 is an antique, but it's incredible... Great guns, so smooth... even a caveman can paint with it... there are other guns, cheaper and more expensive. If you're lucky, you can pick up a used gun that will do everything you want... just keep it clean!! HVLP, is handy but you are at the limit of the compressor. I have done a ton of jobs like you say with similiar compressors... you just have to go slow.

Of course, this would give you an excuse to go out and buy a "real" compressor... so, you do have options...

Comment

Before I got a good sized compressor, I hooked two in to the same line so I could get more volume,

but there are guns out there that will match your compressor, (do not expect perfection from a low cost gun, but most do OK), but the better the gun the nicer quality of pattern and material application you will have, but most of the better guns will require more air,
            the gun I have is nearly 35+ years old and on quality with a Binks (I think it was made by Binks but private labled),
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I agree, that's not really a good compressor for paint spray. You could shoot nails all day with it, but spraying is very air-intensive, second perhaps only to air sanding. You need a lot of air volume and a reasonably quick compressor to do large amounts of spraying, although as others have said, you can plan your project so you can stop and let the compressor catch up.

I've got an 80 gallon tank that lets me do pretty much anything I want, plus a small pancake unit that I can take around with me for work outside, filling up tired, etc. It's not that you can't use what you have, just that it won't be optimal and you'll have to understand the limitations of the system you have.

I agree with others who said that it's pointless to spray stain, it's much faster and easier to spray/brush on. Paint and clear coats work very well with a spray gun though.

Comment

Working...
              X