X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which brand bandsaw blades?

I'm new to band sawing and have no idea which brand of blades give good value for the money. I plan to be mostly cutting thick hardwoods. Resawing and blanks for lathe work. I am aware that lowest price may be more expensive in the long run, and most expensive may be not worth the high price.
    So, I am asking for the opinions of you experianced woodcutters.
    I can buy MK Morse brand at the local True Value hardware and I prefer to shop locally.
    I will soon be traveling to the nearest Woodcraft store where Olson Flexback, Olson allpro, Woodcraft, Timberwolf, and Carter are avalable.
    Are there other brands that I should consider?
    Your input will be greatly appreciated. Foggy

Re: Which brand bandsaw blades?

Timberwolf- First and top choice.

Don't have any experience with Carter blades. But, everything else they make for bandsaws is quality, so blades may be the same.

If they don't have the size/teeth combo you want, then settle for Olson pro. But the rest of that list are mediocre.

Comment

I just bought a timberwolf blade for resawing but have not used it yet. My only other experience is with Craftsman blades (which worked well for me) and I am sure the timberwolf blades will be a big improvement. One thing about the timberwolf blades is that per the instructions they are a little funky to adjust and I have no idea if I did it right. Once I make a cut I will probably know, hopefully.

Comment

Has any one ever broke a blade? My first time I did it sound like a gun going off. I jumped into rafters of my barn and that's like 15' up there. Who ever said white men can't jump, I would have made Michael Jordan proud.

I like craftsman but not for band saw blades go with Timberwolf

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
          Has any one ever broke a blade? My first time I did it sound like a gun going off. I jumped into rafters of my barn and that's like 15' up there. Who ever said white men can't jump, I would have made Michael Jordan proud.

I like craftsman but not for band saw blades go with Timberwolf

I agree about the craftsman blades. I have been using them because I work close to sears, easy to get in a pinch. Its a bit of pain becuase of the non standard size. I have been doing a lot more resawing which is why I got a timberwolf. I will use it this weekend, looking forward to it.

I havent broke a blade but the other day one my lower bearings shot off, gave me a nice scare. What happens when the blade breaks, does it coil around one of the wheels?

Comment

Unfortunately I have broken several blades. At $7 to have them rewelded I am keeping a small shop in business.

When the blade brakes, it makes a pretty loud sound and it just stops in it's tracks. As soon as it breakes it is no longer turned by the motor and it just sits there.

Many times there is a sound that ticks off every time a certain part of the bladee goes around. When you are tuned into that sound, you know to take it a little bit easy.

That being said, I love the band saw. I make band saw boxes, I do some resawing, and use it every day and I have yet to scratch the surface of things it can do for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
              What happens when the blade breaks, does it coil around one of the wheels?
              Usually when a blade breaks it just expands and doesn't get wrapped up or cause any damage.

Fairly common occurence in tool and die shops, when cutting steel. Blade material is purchased in coil and blades made up at the bandsaw (usually a blade welder and end grinder is mounted on the side of the saw). Main reason for this is so you can saw "inside" cut outs in parts. Drill a hole in the piece, thread blade material trhough the hole, weld it up and saw. When done, cut the blade to remove your piece.

Comment

So in other words the band saw can act like a scroll saw on steriods? Very interesting and would never had thought about that.

Comment

Are Timber wolf blades enough better than Olson AllPro to be worth 40% higher price? Foggy

Comment

Originally posted by Foggy View Post
                    Are Timber wolf blades enough better than Olson AllPro to be worth 40% higher price? Foggy
                    I can't tell you if the Timberwolf are or aren't worth the extra money but when comparing BS blades you need to be careful that you're comparing apples to apples. From memory, both those brands seem to receive positive comments from those that use them with Timberwolf seeming to be the more popular. I prefer Lenox blades myself so I have never tried either the Olson or the Timberwolf. If you want to throw Lenox into the mix you can check out this website for pricing comparison.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

How about the blades from Highland Woodworking? I believe that their 1/2" "Woodslicer" resaw blade was the top choice by Fine Woodworking some time back. Mine just arrived today so I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

Many of those who have used the Woodslicer (including me) think that it is very good at first but dulls quickly. Louis Iturra sells the same blade cheaper than Highland but calls it something else.
                        Joe Spear

Comment

Joe, Louis Iturra calls that blade, The Bladerunner. According to his 2008 Catalog, so these could be old prices, he sell the 1/2" wide blades for $2.20 a foot, the 5/8" for $2.30 a foot and the 3/4" for $2.50 a foot.
                          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

When the blade brakes as they said it does nothing but it it LOUD.

Comment

I got to test out my new timberwolf blade and I am amazed at the difference compared to what I was using (craftsman blades). Think I am going to get another.

Comment

Working...
                              X