Unloading an R4511 off the trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Unloading an R4511 off the trailer

While you are building this unit, I recommend looking at the exploded drawings in the "Repair Sheet", rather than just relying on the manual. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a bunch of unused lock washers, etc.

Comment

I bought my R4511 on Jan 21, 2010... few days ago. It was fork lifted into the back of my Ford Explorer SUV.

When I got home, I cut the plastic wrap off, then removed the staples from one seam of the cardboard box. That left me with the cage. I unbolted to get the steel cage top off... but because it was in an SUV, I could not pull it out. So I simply bent the steel -- it's soft metal.

Once I had access to the packages, I removed everything BUT the saw (cabinet/trunion/motor/granite top etc)> I have no idea what that portion weighs, but it had to be around 350 pounds.

So... I laid down an old cabinet that was about 16 inches on it's side and slide the unit (attached to the sled) down to the cabinet. Then I hand trucked that stack into the garage. Assembled the base and lifted the unit from the old wood cabinet and set it on the base.

I would NOT recommend this method, but it did work with no pain. Then again, I had my girl friend watch just in case an ambulance was required

I'll add one tip that may be helpful. You will notice on the top of the base there are nuts welded in place. Those nuts help seat the cabinet. What you should do is measure from center to center of the holes in the cabinet that receive the nuts welded on the base. Take that measurement and set your base to that exact width and then tighten the side bars on the base so it is very firm. It will make it easier to set the cabinet on the base in one shot.

I should also mention that I never put the table saw on its side as the instructions show. They tell you to do it that way because it is probably safer (and requires at least two people). But if you plan ahead you can assemble without the risk of knocking things out of whack by putting it on its side. Food for thought.
      Last edited by bvdon123; 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I bought mine on 1/15/2010. I am fortunate enough to have a tractor with a set of forks. My "shop" is in the loft of my barn and my tractor was able to reach high enough that a friend and I skidded it into the room.

A friend from work came over two different nights after work to help me assemble it. He had assembled one for a friend last summer. I'm glad he helped because the directions are terrible (as I most agree from what I've seen since browsing this site).

The saw is very nice and I am axious to start using it!

Comment

I bought a second one when they went on sale recently, and didn't take my own advice to have someone else do it.

What I did was to use the top half of the frame as a staging area off the back of my truck (with supports across the top), and then built a ramp out of plywood & 2x4 to get the bulk of it down from there. It actually wasn't too bad at all.

Comment

It's hard reading all this since I missed out on the awesome deal. But I would have had to rent one of the trucks from Home Depot to get it home anyway and the bed of those is pretty high. That would have been fun trying to get it down from there even in pieces.
            http://www.mywoodworking.net

Comment

Originally posted by danrpierce View Post
              It's hard reading all this since I missed out on the awesome deal. But I would have had to rent one of the trucks from Home Depot to get it home anyway and the bed of those is pretty high. That would have been fun trying to get it down from there even in pieces.
              There may still be a few of these great saws scattered around. After looking and calling around the many home depot stores in my area, I found one 2 days ago. I located it about 45 miles from my place. I was told they had 2 that day but had sold one in the morning. So my advise to anyone who wants one is to keep looking, don't give up.
              Unloading it in pieces from the bed of my truck wasn't hard at all, but I was lucky my neighbor was available to help me unload the heaviest part, the cabinet with the granite top still attached.
              Here's some pictures I posted on another thread:
              http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...&postcount=234
              Last edited by Hawk; 01-27-2010, 12:08 AM. Reason: Added link to pictures

Comment

danrpierce... no pain, no gain!!
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

If anyone is still interested, I just unloaded one by myself out of the bed of my Ford Ranger using a chain hoist and some lifting straps.

My initial plan was to uncrate it in the truck, move the light pieces by hand, then lift the main body with the hoist. Reading about having to realign the table to the cabinet got me a little concerned, so I wanted to try and avoid that, but couldn't find good lifting points.

I ended up lifting the entire shipping crate with everything inside of it with straps around the top of the metal shipping frame. Once on the ground, I pretty much followed what most folks here have done - built the Hercu-Lift and cursed a lot getting the dust pan in. When it came time to put the cabinet on the Hercu-Lift, I removed the throut plate, and used a piece of iron pipe with a pipe cap fitted into an upside down "U" on the trunnion with the other end of the pipe on the cabinet edge (motor cover removed) with a piece of wood between the pipe and cabinet edge. The pipe cap could not slide through the "U" on the trunnion, so I was pretty confident the pipe couldn't slide out. I checked and double checked that nothing was or could contact the granite top. I looped a strap around the pipe through the throat plate opening, lifted the cabinet, then lowered onto the base. When doing this the cabinet will rotate (i.e. the table top will not stay parallel to the ground) so you need to guide it onto the Hercu-Lift and lower it slowly to make sure the bolt holes in the cabinet align with the Hercu-Lift.

If I had to do it again, I would do it the same way.

Comment

Rich- taking the top off the R4511 is not a big deal just note the shims location and replace them exactly as they came off.

Having assembled two by myself, first one was replaced on the recall, I took the top off both times to get the saw assembled and upright.

I also had to take it off a third time to take it in to the service center to get a gear problem fixed.

Not my favorite task mind you, but once done it really lets you see everything about your saw and how it works.

Comment

Working...
                    X