Unloading an R4511 off the trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unloading an R4511 off the trailer

Question for R4511 owners: if you had a new one still boxed up on your utility trailer bed, how would you get it unloaded? If I leave the box closed, I will need to lift 470 pounds. What if I open the box and start taking stuff out a piece at a time? Am I going to run into trouble? I have a little Kubota with a bucket, but I would rather not lift the full 470 pounds with it. Thanks for your help.

Re: Unloading an R4511 off the trailer

How much are day laborers in your area?

If I had to do it again, I would pay someone else to do it.

It's just not worth the risk to my health. Either worrying about it for a week, or heaven forbid, an actual accident. Let alone the risk of damage to the saw.

This thing is shockingly heavy and awkward. It would have been easier to have moved the shop up to the garage than move the new saw into the basement.

Piecemeal disassembly is possible, but you'll then have to learn how to align it again (possibly a good thing for the educational experience).

Comment

I just assembled one R4511 by myself. I started by taking the card board cover off, then removed the steel cage. I skipped the step in the manual saying to flip the steel crate on its side to access the bottom bolts that attach the saw's cabinet to the bottom steel frame. Those bolts can be accessed by reaching your hand underneath the steel frame. Very easy. The two smaller brown boxes are removed and put aside next. I then removed the main granite top and put it on the ground ontop of the piece of cardboard that was used to cover it. I will realign the saw anyway after done. I also removed the motor cover, which can be reattached later easily.

Assembly of the stand and Herc-U-Lift came next. Install the bottom dust chute next. Once this is done, I tilted the main cabinet and got one edge onto the assembled stand. From there, I wiggled and slid the main cabinet onto the stand, aligned the holes, and bolted them together. Put the main granite top back. I re-aligned the saw much later, when everything was completely assembled.

The remaining procedures were performed per the manual instructions. It took me a total of about 6 hours to put this saw together, with plenty of breaks and purposely going slow to enjoy the process.

After all of this disassembly and reassembly, the saw is without vibration and quiet when turned on. A note about re-alignment of the blade: be generous about loosening the four bolts that hold the granite top to the metal case.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by vnh; 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM. Reason: add picture

Comment

Agree with VNH! Just about exactly how I did it.

Disassembled as much as I could with the saw in the vehicle....probably even easier with a trailer, as mine was in the back of a minivan (harder to get "overhead" of the saw)

I actually brought the main cabinet down to my basement on an appliance hand truck. The main granite top and everything else was carried by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by motie View Post
          Question for R4511 owners: if you had a new one still boxed up on your utility trailer bed, how would you get it unloaded?
          It is easy enough to unload each piece individually and bring it to where you want to build it. I did the unloading myself from a pick up truck and used a hand truck for the saw portion itself. If you have a helper, it will make it much easier.

You will want help when it comes time to lift the saw onto the mobile base. Take your time and get everything adjusted and you will enjoy the saw. I do.

Red
          Red

Comment

I had to get the saw out of the bed of my 4x4 pickup. The bed is 33" off the ground and I had to get it out by myself. I took the cover off, unbolted the top steel frame and removed everything but the saw it's self. I then clamped 2x6 boards with a 3/4" melamine board on top to the upper side of the bumper. I strapped the saw still attached to the shipping frame to eyelets in the bed and slid it off. I could only slide it a couple of inches at a time but once it hit the slick melamine the straps stopped it from taking off and it ended up on my garage floor nice and easy. I then assembled it per the instructions on the forum. Good Luck.
            Last edited by NW Diver; 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM.
            Charles

Comment

When I bought mine, it was loaded on my utility trailer. Once home I used ramps and slid it off to the shop floor all by myself. I then did all the assembly, including attaching the mobile base as done in the instructions with the saw on it's side. Even lifting it back to upright was done by myself. It just depends on how well thought out all the steps are. If you use leverage to your advantage, anyone with a strong back can do it. Help would have been great, but I didn't have anyone available and did not want to wait. If you can get help, use it! If you take your time it is possible to safely do this on your own.

Comment

Re: Unloading an R off the trailer

If your good at backing, let the tail gate down and get some speed up and then hit the brakes hard it might unload it self with ease.

piece by piece
                or use ramps,
                or unhook the tongue and raise up until the bed comes to the floor, and slide it off carefully, (have some way to keep the trailer from dropping back down when the box comes off,
                or slide it off on a platform that is about the same height as the bed of the trailer,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Can't the trailer be tilted? I was just thinking that if you have one of these (below), then it can be tilted and acts like a ramp.

Comment

Well, by now you have it all unloaded, put together and are patting yourself on the back on how great of a saw it is and what a great deal you got on it!!

Just a few hints... I used a small floor jack to raise up the crate to get to the screws underneath, I took the top off the saw so that I could lift the saw off my truck. (I did have problems with blade alignment later and had to drill out the four holes in the cabinet.)
                    Shop Notes magazine just had a great Table Saw Special Edition that has tons of cools jigs and stuff..

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. We got it done. My neighbor, who is a cabinet maker, came over and helped. He uses pro quality tools at work, but he was impressed with the R4511. We did the unpacking on the trailer. We didn't take the granite off the base. Once all the boxes are separated out, everything can be lifted easily by one or two guys.

VNH, your photos are very helpful. I wish the manual had some. By the way, the manual could use a proofreader.
                      Last edited by motie; 12-12-2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by motie View Post
                        Thanks for all the suggestions. We got it done. My neighbor, who is a cabinet maker, came over and helped. He uses pro quality tools at work, but he was impressed with the R4511. We did the unpacking on the trailer. We didn't take the granite off the base. Once all the boxes are separated out, everything can be lifted easily by one or two guys.

VNH, your photos are very helpful. I wish the manual had some. By the way, the manual could use a proofreader.
                        Read through this post. It will help.

Red

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25089
                        Red

Comment

Well, that takes all the mystery out of it. Thanks, Red.

Comment

I loaded my table saw on a 16" trailer at HD. Once we got it home we couldn't lift it off. I ended up tearing down the box and steel cage on the trailer. I off loaded the granite wings and then we were able to lift off the cabinet part of the saw.

It took some planning to get it off the trailer and get it together but it was all worth it!

Brandon
                            I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

One thing I would change about my assembly process is to calibrate the saw (i.e. miter slot, squaring blade, 45 degree angle) prior to attaching the two side wings and installing the fence.

Comment

Working...
                              X