X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Pictures

About 16 years ago I set out to build a roll top desk. I wanted something the kids would argue over at my demise. Big project, but I had 8th grade shop in 1960. My wife said why not build a stool, you know a small project to get back into woodworking. I asked, "what is a roll top desk but a series of small projects?" So I started by buying rough sawn lumber and working it out.

Then it happened. I had the top and the four pedestal pieces worked up but I was hit with some serious heart disease. I couldn't touch the project for about a dozen years. In the meantime my boards were in a flood due to a failure of the sump pump.

I took those old flooded boards and finished the desk. Here are the pictures. It isn't perfect, but it is nice. I look at the imperfections as being a metaphor for my life and its imperfections. I am proud to have stuck with it and finally finishing this project. I love woodworking because it gives me a real sense of worth and enjoyment. I appreciate the way you all share your knowledge and I hope someday I can help others.

I appreciate the comment by Roadster280. My cabling is atrocious. The one thing I haven't done yet is drill a hole through the desktop for the cables. I have the 1 1/2 inch brass grommet but am waiting for a friend who has a large Forstner bit to make a nice hole. I should have been more careful in taking the photograph. That being said, I wouldn't want you to look behind my TV set.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by skocars; 12-11-2009, 11:43 PM. Reason: Comment made by Roadster280

Re: Project Pictures

Very nice. Definitely something I would be proud of if I made.

Josh

Comment

Very nice, and a real life story to go with it. It looks every bit as good as what I aspire to. Well done.

Your cabling is atrocious, but hey, it's a tool site, not a geek one

Comment

It turned out beautiful. Nice job.

Red
        Red

Comment

Catus: Your project is very nice. I hope to have a place for a project like that in our new home. I have not done anything with the nice finishing touches like the moldings and edges, especially the crown molding. Skocars

Comment

Working...
          X