X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child safe stains shellacs and paints

So I'm making a few toys for my little ones.
    My youngest is about 10 months old so as you can guess she may put toys in her mouth.

What stains, shellacs or paints would be considered safe for this purpose?

Are there any that may be considered unsafe?

Thanks.

Hiker-42

Re: Child safe stains shellacs and paints

Originally posted by Hiker-42 View Post
    So I'm making a few toys for my little ones.
    My youngest is about 10 months old so as you can guess she may put toys in her mouth.

What stains, shellacs or paints would be considered safe for this purpose?

Are there any that may be considered unsafe?

Thanks.

Hiker-42
    Do some searching in the woodworking forums here. Shellac is non-toxic, but you will find info on other finishes.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I have heard that varnish or poly is non-toxic once dry. I have used Beeswax for my sons toys and food dishes as well.
      I made this truck for him last year.

Comment

All commercially available wood finishes are non-toxic when cured. I believe this is a legal requirement since the 60s or 70s. I know this seems incredible but it's true... even though some of the stains like the ubiquitous Minwax stain stink to high heaven and it sure ain't a "natural" kind of stink.

In any case, toxic, non toxic or whatever, some finishes are not good choices - especially the ones that tend to chip when subjected to rough treatment. For toys, I like tung oil, Watco Danish oil, or, for toys made of hardwood, beeswax. The beeswax doesn't seem to look good on pine to me for some reason.

There's also a Behlens product called "salad bowl finish". I don't know what it's made of exactly, but it's supposedly not prone to chipping. I bet it's just some type of drying oil.

For paint, I think the same is true regarding toxicity... but if you want to be doubly safe, go to www.make-baby-stuff.com .

I wouldn't use any finish not made in the United States for a toy. Some other countries (no offense) aren't as rigorous as we are here.

Good luck. Remember, no small parts that can break off in a little mouth!

Comment

I've been using mineral oil.

Big G

Comment

Andy is correct, any American made finish is safe when cured. I like to use water based poly, it can be colored using normal food coloring and poses no health risks for children.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
            X