X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3660 Alignment Puzzle

I have a new TS3660, which is presenting me with some conflicting measurement behavior on blade to miter saw alignment.

I checked it using the TS-Aligner Junior Lite clamped to the miter gauge, ensuring I kept the whole setup tight against one side of the miter slot. With the belt off the motor, the difference, front and rear on the blade was all but identical, and if anything, maybe .0005" wider at the back (away from the fence). Perfect!

Then, for some reason, I decided to measure it again with the belt on the motor and arbor. Now, the rear of the blade is CLOSER to the fence by about .007". What is going on? I can take the belt off the motor and just pull on it and watch the dial indicator move several thousandths of an inch.

I would expect it out to be set up, with belt on, but did not expect such a wide variation due to belt tension. ???

- Phil

Re: TS3660 Alignment Puzzle

There is some play in the bearings on the arbor
    You should check it with the belt on and tenisoned. The same as if you were cutting with the saw. I set the blade to the miter slots as close to 0 as possible front to back. If you measure off one miter slot the other will bind when being used. I will check both miter slots and split the difference and go from there. What I mean is if you set the blade measurement off the left miter slot and the blade is slightly off in the back then the right miter slot will be open in the front and tight in the back. It may pinch the wood when it passes. I set my rip fence .002-.005 away from the back of the blade so it is open slightly.

Comment

Thank you. I decided to check the trunion bolts and they were all VERY loose! Given that, I adjusted until the back of the blade, with regards to left miter slot, is less than .001" angled away from the blade. I see what you mean regarding both slots. Will check that and the rip fence as well.

- Phil

Comment

I never had to touch the trunion bolts on my TS3650
        Last edited by bert304; 12-12-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Hi Phil, On my brand new 3660 I also found the trunion bolts came quite loose from the factory. I hope that fixed your problem! I have been very happy with my saw and once I got it setup I have not had any issues! Enjoy your new toy!!!

Comment

The center trunnion bolt was barely snug, and the other two were just not even fingertight. The back three were better, but took barely any wrench effort at all to move. Rather looked like they were set so as o adjust the table, but never tightened back up. All is good now.

- Phil

Comment

Working...
            X