X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TS 3650 $250 vs new R4510

Thanks Hewood. I'm excited about my new tools. While I was partially disassembling the saw so I could load it into my truck , the guy rambled thru his garage and found the original miter guage and blade guard assembly still wrapped from the factory. The only thing I'm missing is one of the caster wheels for the Herculift. I'm hoping he will find that too. Around where I live, Harbor FT has the best selection and prices on caster wheels but the one I need is special -- the threaded shaft on the caster is longer than standard so as to go thru the frame of the Herculift so I'll probably have to try and order that thru Ridgid. I'm gonna try some naval jelly to remove rust from the top unless someone out there can suggest something better. As far as blades, a Forrest blade is more than I want to spend. I have an ~ 50 year old Shopsmith inherited from my dad. I put a Freud LU series thin kerf 8" on it which has worked well, so I might look at a similar 10" for the Ridgid TS. Not sure if I should go with thin kerf or full kerf ? I want a blade that is good for both crosscutting and ripping that I can leave on the saw most of the time. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Comment

Naval gel will likely discolor the metal quite a bit. If the rust is light, I'd try some WD-40 and a gree scotch brite pad under a palm sander. If the rust is heavy, try a phosphoric acid base remover like Boeshield or Krud Kutter...use gloves and ample ventilation.

A good quality thin kerf blade will be easier on your motor, and should match the stock splitter. Here's a few choices for you:

Most of the Freud blades are a good value IMO. The LU86 or LU83 are good choice. The LU88 is a cleaner cutting 60T ATB blade, will rip up to ~ 6/4", and crosscuts well...great choice if you don't cut lots of thick materials. You could always add a 24T FTG TK ripper to the LU88 later on if you need to rip over 6/4" much. HD carries the Freud Diablo D1040, D1050, and D1060 that are similar to the LU86, LU83, and LU88 respectively but have smaller teeth...FWIW, the Ridgid Titanium series (R1050C, R1060C) is made by Freud and is similar to the Diablo line. You may also find some good clearance prices on the now discontinued Freud TK/Avanti line...TK306, TK406, and TK906 are similar to the Diablo and Titanium series mentioned, but be sure that it says "Freud", because HD is now selling a crappy line of Chinese knockoffs called "Avanti" and "Avanti Pro" that are not by Freud...neither is very suitable for fine woodworking IMO.

The Infinity 010-150 Combomax Lite is a great 50T TK ATB/R combo blade (~ $60). Lowes is now carrying the CMT 50T TK ATB/R that's pretty similar and is a nice bargain at $40. The DeWalt "Precision Trim" (PT) series is a pretty good bang for the buck too...Lowes has the DW7140PT for $40....there's also a DW7150PT that's a nice 50T combo blade.
      Last edited by hewood; 12-17-2009, 09:45 PM.

Comment

hewood, Will the LU83 work with the factory splitter on the 4511 ? The man at Woodcraft recommended that one to me this week. He said he personally liked the 50 tooth.
        Last edited by craigcox; 12-17-2009, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigcox View Post
          hewood, Will the LU83 work with the factory splitter on the 4511 ? The man at Woodcraft recommended that one to me this week. He said he personally liked the 50 tooth.
          It should work with the R4511 fine. Even though you didn't ask....it's a good blade...thin kerf traditional 50T ATB/R combo blade, but I'm not convinced it's the best bang for the buck in that price range....it tends to sell at a premium all the time. I'm a big fan of the Infinity 010-150 50T, and am also a fan of the LU88 as a very clean cutting general purpose blade if you don't need to rip a lot of thick material. I'm also very intrigued by the new CMT 50T at Lowes for $40, since it's so similar to the Infinity.

Comment

Stay with it on getting the Herculift just right. I have a 3660, and the lift is a pleasure to use.

On the blade, be careful about getting one with a thin kerf. The splitter on the saw is fairly thick. I got a Forrest WWII with a 1/8" kerf, and I have had no problems.
            "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

Originally posted by Laflaone View Post
              Stay with it on getting the Herculift just right. I have a 3660, and the lift is a pleasure to use.

On the blade, be careful about getting one with a thin kerf. The splitter on the saw is fairly thick. I got a Forrest WWII with a 1/8" kerf, and I have had no problems.
              Can't go wrong with Forrest. I also use Systimatic and have good results.

Personally I don't find much need for thin kerf blades, I just use regular 1/8" kerf blades. The kerf fits 1/8" masonite nicely... which is very convenient for splines.

Comment

Working...
              X