TS 3650 $250 vs new R4510

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 $250 vs new R4510

Hi: I'm in the market for a table saw. I've been looking pretty seriously at the Ridgid R 4510 Portable/Jobsite for $499 at Home depot and probably would buy the Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer at the same time. With the Lowe's 10 % moving discount and the current Ridgid Friends & Family 20% rebate it would work out to be about $360 for the saw and about $310 for ~the jointer, total ~$670 plus tax. But there is a TS3650 with cast iron top for sale used for $250 in my area. It is owned by a contractor who bought it new about three years ago. He says it is in good shape, but he did use it often. He says it runs good and everything works well but he is missing the miter guage. He has the herculift and at sounds like everything else. He says he has taken good care of it - no rust on the top. I haven't looked at it yet. It would cost ~ $60 to replace the stock Rigid miter guage. I'm just a hobby woodworker not looking to do tons of production work. Give me an opinion -- should I go for the newJobsite R4510 or the used TS3650. Thanks. George

Re: TS 3650 $250 vs new R4510

If you dont need portability, the choice woild be the 3650. I wouldn't buy a replacement of the 3650 miter gauge. There are much more accurate miter gauges that can be had for just slightly more than $60.

Comment

If you don't need the transportability of the jobsite, then there is no comparison, IMHO. A proper cast top, about 200lbs extra weight, and most importantly, belt drive, not direct drive.

Still, if you're willing to spring $499 for the 4510, why not track down a 4511 for the same money?

Comment

Thanks for the opinions. Right now I'm leaning towards the used TS3650. It would be a lot quieter. It would sit in my basement shop and I would just roll it around at times but not out of the basement. I'm a little leary of the fact that I think he used this saw quite a bit. He said he has the herculift but doesn't have it on the saw because he preferred to have it sit on the floor at jobsites making it difficult to steal. I'm thinking I will offer him $200 since the miter guage is missing. What replacement miter guage for around $60 are you referring to? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tomapple View Post
          If you dont need portability, the choice woild be the 3650. I wouldn't buy a replacement of the 3650 miter gauge. There are much more accurate miter gauges that can be had for just slightly more than $60.
          +1. 3650, definitely... and he's doing you a favor by not having the stock miter gauge.

Comment

I wouldn't be too worried about the amount of use the 3650 has seen. Motors and arbor bearings can be repaired/replaced. I doubt the motor is going to be a problem, and arbor bearings seem to last decades.

Comment

My vote is for a new R4511. About $120 over the price of the used 3650 for a brand new TS. I had the older version of the Ridgid contractor table saw and recently upgraded to the R4511. Personally, the R4511 is a lot more table saw for the same amount of money as the contractor table saw, whose main advantage is portability. Just to name a few, the R4511 is heavier, quieter, stronger, belt drive, much flatter table top, and subjectively feel nicer.

I'd be cautious buying a used table saw from a contractor, but this is just my feeling without any kind of data to back it up. The table saw might be perfectly fine.

Comment

Getting your hands on an R4511 is the trick. Hard to say if there are any around these days. I agree that if one is available to go for it.

Comment

What replacement miter guage for around $60 are you referring to?
                  You can get the Incra V-27 from Woodcraft and others for < $60 + Shipping. You can get an Osborne EB-3 for about $140 from various places and even though it is twice the $60 range you are looking at it will be worth it in the long run.

The Incra Miter Express 1000SE is a sweet setup too but that's a bit more.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks for the miter guage info. I really appreciate it. GTM

Comment

That V27 miter gauge that Bob referenced is a good one. You can get it for $47.79 delivered to you door from Amazon. I happen to have the other one he mentioned, the 1000SE, and also highly recommend that one too.
                      ================================================== ====
                      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

You can get the DeWalt version of the EB-3 here for $89
                        http://woodworker.com/hd-precision-m...ampaign=IRW13F

"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I also have the Incra 1000SE along with the Miter Express and can't imagine not having them. I am a hobbiest too but the accuracy with the after market miter gauge is amazing. Check with Hartville Tool, they run pretty good sales this time of year. I believe the web site is www.hartville.com. Oh, the 3650 would be my pick, I have one and really enjoy using it.
                          If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

To everyone who contributed to this thread, thank you for all of the input. Yesterday I purchased the used TS3650 for $200. The guy had everything with it (including the miter guage) except for one caster wheel for the Herculift. It runs great -- we ran some oak through it before I paid. The top is perfectly flat from corner to corner, both ways, including the wings. There is some surface rust but I think I will be able to get it cleaned up nicely. I'll need a new blade. I also went down to HD and bought a new Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer and also an R4330 13" planer. They gave me a 10% discount and with the FAF rebate it will be ~30% total. Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

Congrats on the new saw! The full size saws tend to have all the advantages over the portables if you don't need the portability. What's your blade budget and what type of things do you cut most?

I definitely wouldn't pay $60 for that $10 stock miter gauge! The Incra V27 is a great bang for the buck...add an aftermarket or shop made fence and you'll be set.
                              Last edited by hewood; 12-17-2009, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X