Jatoba/Brazillian cherry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jatoba/Brazillian cherry

I'm making a picture frame from this wood. I've never worked with it before and it burns pretty bad on my 3650. Newer thin kerf combo blade.......50 tooth Avanti. Too fast and the saw bogs, too slow and the burning is worse. Alignments and fence true as can be. I've cleaned it up on my planer but I feel I'm doing something wrong!

What could I do better? Is a ripping blade a better fit for burn prevention? By the way, same issue with maple.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Jatoba/Brazillian cherry

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post
    I'm making a picture frame from this wood. I've never worked with it before and it burns pretty bad on my 3650. Newer thin kerf combo blade.......50 tooth Avanti. Too fast and the saw bogs, too slow and the burning is worse. Alignments and fence true as can be. I've cleaned it up on my planer but I feel I'm doing something wrong!

What could I do better? Is a ripping blade a better fit for burn prevention? By the way, same issue with maple.
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi rjm. A rip blade will likely do better, but the combo shouldn't be unusable. I haven't used the Avanti blade. I use Systimatic and Forrest - they seem to do well. Maple does burn easily, cherry is worse. I use a sharp cabinet scraper to wipe off the burn marks very quickly.

Also, make sure your blade is set to toe out (farther from the fence at the back compared to the front) from the fence about 0.015" (~1/64). This helps a lot.

Comment

Re: Jatoba/Brazillian cherry

Originally posted by rjm78 View Post

Thanks in advance!
      Cherry has quite a lot of resin in it, that's what may be burning. I have been working with cherry and found taht if I cut a hair larger, ripping or cross cutting, then a final pass at the correct measurements. This will allow you to cut faster avoiding the burn. Same with Maple. Don't get me wrong, this is more work than cutting to length initially. You could also use a table mounted router with a straight bit and cut the burn off. Hope this helps.
      If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

Working...
      X