Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling panels -- what do you use?

Hey everyone,

Just curious to know what everyone uses to prevent rattling panels on their raised panel construction projects?

I've heard foam, a dab of hot glue, specific hardware for the task (Lee Valley sells rubber barrels for this purpose), silicone, etc. I'm curious to know what the more common solutions are.

The only raised panels I've done, previously, were for work-shop cabinets, and I really didn't care if they rattled (luckily, they don't) but I'm building a toy chest now, and I'd like to ensure they don't rattle, and I'm curious whether people actually go to the trouble of purchasing hardware for this (such as the Lee Valley barrels), or if they have their own solutions.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Rattling panels -- what do you use?

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...0&cookietest=1

Comment

I don't use anything. I make my panels a good fit, not tight and not loose. You want the panels to slide in, not fall in during assembly, and you will fine.

Red
      Red

Comment

Best practice is to allow for expansion and contraction. Now, if you are building stuff that is going to stay in your possesion and in a climate controlled environment you can get away without allowing for it.

Me, I use a few dabs of silicone in the rails and stiles and let it setup before assembly. Cheap and effective.

Comment

I don't like to have silicone anywhere near my woodwork projects - it's a mess waiting to happen. Silicone and wood finish is a bad combination.

Comment

If you are in fear of getting silicone on exposed portions of your project, squeeze out a line on something disposable and let it dry. Then cut it into your own "spaceballs"

Comment

http://meshootingyou.com/images/Spaceballs.origianl.jpg

Comment

Would acoustic sealant be a good or bad idea, in this case?

It supposedly will always remain soft, which seems to imply that it'll allow for expansion better.

--Jeff

Comment

+1 to cactus method with a slight modification.
                  I glue one of panel's the vertical edges after I push it all the way inside the groove. The other edge being unglued provides the expansion space.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Little pieces of foam weather stripping works and is cheap and quick. Squirting out a bead of silicone and cutting it after it dries works well, and is easiest inserted with a pair of tweezers. Best to squirt it out ahead of time so that it can set up thoroughly. You only need pieces near the ends and in the center for either. You do not want a full length piece down the entire dado, because if too thick, it will prevent expansion. have used both, primarily on cabinet doors.

Another option is to glue the center 2" of the long grain ends. Except on an extremely long panel, length expansion is minimal. If doing this, put a couple witness marks on some blue tape on both the rail and the panel, so that is starts out dead center and can expand both ways. I use this method on most frame/panel carcasses and have had no problems, even with soft wood with high expansion (like pine).

Like cactus, I try for "slip fit", but for a cabinet in a non-climate-controlled garage, or furniture made in one during high humidity that will end up in an A/C house, a little prevention during assembly may be prudent. For tapered edges, even a little contraction can significantly loosen a panel.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I cut off a little piece of screen window spline. It's hollow so it'll take up a lot of movement, cheap, and I have it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X