X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Through Mortises"

I really like making Mission Style furniture. When given the opportunity I will always come down on the side of mortises and tenons for joinery. BUT! I am doing a project now that has stiles and rails that are over 2 inches square. Beautiful to work with, but one exception. There are many through tenons, and they are double through tenons. That is a whole lot of work that has to line up properly, and it is very difficult.

But the problem I am having is making the mortises that go all the way through a 2 inch piece, and I have a problem getting a real nice neat cut on the down side. Even though I have a piece backing up the cut, I get more tear out than I like. I could be more specific in identifying the front side knowing the shoulders cover part of that when glued, but I have to think I need to do a better job upstream in the project so there is less work compensating for a bad cut or a large tearout.

The project is working with cherry, 6/4 and glued for additional size. I have a Delta Mortise machine, but I don't seem to be very proficient with it. I have been into serious woodworking for under two years, and I still struggle with the required precision.

Any tips would be appreciated on cutting mortises. I have been told by some to ignore the plans when they call for through mortises. What do you advise?

Re: "Through Mortises"

you could make a shallow mortise that is the functioning one, and then a shallow Fake tendon on the opposite side to give the appearance of the through tendon, even just gluing a small piece of end grain wood in the location of where the through tendon would be, may work, (I think a shallow mortise would look and be better,

the other option would be to cut about 3/4 the way through from one side and flip the leg over and cut from the opposite side for getting a good clean cut,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Especially on wood that tears out easily, the best way of cutting or drilling through is to go through half-way, flip the piece and cut through the other direction. That way, any tear-out is in the middle of the piece and will be invisible. I don't know how you're cutting your mortises, but make sure that your tools are sharp, that'll also help reduce tear-out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
        Especially on wood that tears out easily, the best way of cutting or drilling through is to go through half-way, flip the piece and cut through the other direction. That way, any tear-out is in the middle of the piece and will be invisible. I don't know how you're cutting your mortises, but make sure that your tools are sharp, that'll also help reduce tear-out.
        If you do this be sure you keep the same face against the fence so that if you setup is even a smidge off you will still line up with the first half.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

All I can say is practice, practice and practice until you feel comfortable doing them. They are a great looking joint but need to be made "tight" with no gaps.

Red
          Red

Comment

Working...
          X