X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jointer Blade Reinstallation Follow Up Question

Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier question regarding installation of the jointer blades. Finally got around to reinstalling the blades today and found it harder than I thought. I 'bottemed' the blade onto the jackscrews and adjusted them to the bottem of the straightedge which is resting on the outfeed table (exactly as per the instructions and as per Jake's response). However, when I tightned the lock screws, I noticed that the blade had moved slightly. How precise should I be? I went at it for several hours and I think I now have it pretty close. Since this is my first time, I am not too sure what tolerances I should expect. I do not have the magnet system that Michael was referring to (would like to know the name of it though!). Second thing, if I line up the blade to the straightedge front and back, I notice that it may not touch at the midpoint or other points of the blade. This leads me to believe that the blade edge was not sharpened properly - I mean the width of the blade is no longer consistent making it impossible to achieve each portion of the blade touching the straightedge as I described above. Is this a good conclusion? Do I now have to buy new blades as a result?

To check if the blades were sharpened correctly, pull the blade and place it vertically, sharp edge down on a piece glass or some other know flat surface. There should be no gap all the way across.

As far as the knives moving when you tighten the bolts, I've found it helps to tighten each bolt just a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn each time working across the wedge until the bolts are good and snug.

Jake

Comment

T-45,

Here's the link on to the Woodcraft page where I got the magnetic tool, called the Magna-Set.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...1046%26Tree%3D 0%2CPower%20Tool%20Accessories&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept %5Fid%3D2167%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CAlignment %20Tools&Gift=False&mscssid=0121DB169650D48858C9A4 A6EF009043

Michael

Comment

i havent had much luck aligining my blades either. my jointer is about 5 mos old and i have not been able to get the knives right. i even bought one of those magnet tools from woodcraft and followed the directions to the letter. after using the magnet my jointer is working worse than before when i lined the blades up with a precision straight edge!
        \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

This might help to see if the blades were sharpen correctly. I like to put the sharp edges together and look for any day light.
          Andy B.

Comment

i have owned my ridgid jointer for about 6 mos now and it has never worked right....until now. i tried everything, including buying one of those fancy magnetic jigs and even with that couldnt get it right. i must confess that i am about as mechanically inclined as a cinder block. anyway i am an Avionics Technician by trade, i am very good with electronics, terrible with mechanics. I asked a co-worker (an aircraft mechanic) if he would take a look at it for me. It took him about 10 minutes and he did something that i should have thought of....and it is so simple it is embarrasing to post it here but if anyone can learn from my oversight i am happy. He pulled the blades out and reassmebled the drum, following the instructions in the manual, with one exception....he did something the manual doesnt call for but in my opinion it should. he snugged the blade up before adjusting the jack screws. once he adjusted them he tightened the bolts. he did in 30 minutes what it took me 6 months not to figure out. how embarrasing. anyway when we find an error (or a better way to do things) in my line of work we submit a Tech Pub Discrepancy Report. What do we submit to suggest Ridgid add this step to their manual making this job a lot easier?

ed

Comment

Thanks Ed,

I'll pass this on to the people who write the manuals

Jake

Comment

Ed,

I'm not too mechanically inclined either...so...could you explain what your guy did again? What do you mean snugged up the blade first?

Sorry for the seemingly basic questions.

Michael

Comment

Ed.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the help.

Michael

Comment

On the blade issue one thing i forgot to mention with my situation is that when i first was trying to set up my jointer i was having a hell of a time with one blade. upon further inspection i found the blade to be cracked. while looking at the blade from the side it was cracked about half way down from the edge and almost all the way across. i contacted ridgid who immeadiately sent me out a set of new blades.

as far as the magnetic tool...i bought one of them too and also did not have any luck with it. I think my problem was finding top dead center and aliging the tool. couldnt figure out how to do that if the blades were out of whack to begin with. as i mentioned in an earlier post i am not very mechanically inclined which was a contributing factor to my having such a hard time.

as far as that goes, i had spoke with another friend of mine who is very good at setting up machines and he said whenever he needed to set up a jointer he has a magnet out of an old speaker. a 10 or 12 inch woofer. he says he has always used this single magnet and it has worked flawlessly.

on the bright side once this jointer is set up properly it performs flawlessly with impeccable results. I am glad i bought it, just hope i dont have to set it up again any time soon!

ed

Comment

This time I will follow up with a response to my question. I just had the guy who sharpened my blades to come over and help me set up the jointer. He provided a lot of insight towards what is acceptable towards tolerances. It would appear that it was me and not so much the blades. There are very, very small inconsistancies with the sharpened blades but my installation was at fault and not the blades.

I think the key, as previously mentioned, is to snug up the gib bolts first and then adjust the blades to the straight edge (or magnet if this is what you have). If the blades need to be lowered at bit, adjust the jackscrew slightly lower and then tap the blade down with a piece of wood (or wooden mallet) as the blades are already snug. If they need to go up, just adjust the jackscrew and this should do the trick. The other key to all of this is be very PATIENT. This is a skill I need to work on!! After all the blades are set, tighten all the gib bolts a little at a time for each blade. He compared this to tightening the lugs of a car wheel. Keep rotating the blade and tighten each gib bolt a little each time till they are tighten properly (do not overtighten!).

He reinstalled my blades and I watched very carefully (I am also mechanically included as the previously mentioned cinder block - very funny comparison!). The result is the jointer is cutting perfectly square with no snipe. If I can help anyone with this, please do not hesitate to email directly.

And finally, thanks for all the posts to my question. I really enjoy this forum.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X