Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean rust(?) spots without ruining paint finish?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean rust(?) spots without ruining paint finish?

Click the attached pictures to see examples. I tried rubbing lightly with WD-40 and a green scrub pad, but not much success for worry of ruining the paint finish. These two items work beautifully for the cast iron table and fence.

This is no Ridgid tool, but
    Attached Files

Re: How to clean rust(?) spots without ruining paint finish?

I just went through cleaning up a bunch of old hand tools, including a chrome socket set that had some nasty rust on it... mostly hardened dark brown spots.

I used WD-40 to saturate the area, which chased out the moisture. I then picked it off with a still blade, finding that much of the rust originating from pin holes and the spreading on the surface. Once picked away, it was minor compared to what it appeared to be. But of course this was plated, not painted, so you'd have to be careful.

Other than that, about the only thing that I can think of would be chemical rust removers, but I have no idea how they would react to the paint finish.

Worse comes to worse though, you could pick the stuff off, treat it like a car body, and then find a touch-up paint.

CWS

Comment

Check out Evapo Rust. I'm not cetain of the effect it might have on paint but this is impressive stuff. Check out this link and scroll down toward the bopttom till you get to the post by Black Man. My posting is below it. BTW this LumberJock site is a great site for woodworking. http://lumberjocks.com/topics/10487#reply-113682

Comment

From the looks of the rust, it is probably coming from small pinholes in the paint. You could try some metal polish (Turtle wax makes one available at most auto stores that contains oxalic acid as the main active ingredient). If the enamel is baked on, it probably will not be hurt by it. It should also clean up the flash rust on the bare metal areas. After you polish off the residue, I would apply a good coat of wax to seal all the little pin holes and the bare metal, or better yet, spray the whole thing with a corrosion inhibitor like BoShield T-9, etc.

Go
        Last edited by Gofor; 12-18-2009, 08:25 PM. Reason: I think I mistakenly thought some sawdust was rust
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X