Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Laminate Trimmer

hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try out the new ridgid laminate trimmer. There was a thread started last month but no one followed up on it. This is my attempt at trying to re-open the subject. I've already read the the review at www.newwoodworker.com but I was just wondering if any one here has had any experience with this tool. Any likes or dislikes? Any recomendations? Any new info on wheather there going to be any more accessories avialable for it. I appreciate any info I can get. Thanks guys.

From their review it sounds OK I guess. Why would you want this when you could do the same thing with your router? If you don't have a router, why wouldn't you invest the $100 into a router and be able to do this plus a heck of a lot more?

Do you have a ton of laminate to trim?

[ 03-22-2005, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: DK ]

Comment

A laminate trimmer can be used for a lot of things other than just trimming laminate. It can come in quite handy when you have a job where a router would be to bulky to use. Thanks for your input. Maybe someone else can give more info on the use of a laminate trimmer.

Comment

DK,

From their review it sounds OK I guess. Why would you want this when you could do the same thing with your router? If you don't have a router, why wouldn't you invest the $100 into a router and be able to do this plus a heck of a lot more?

Do you have a ton of laminate to trim?
        You are underestimating the uses of a laminate trimmer. Yes, it's true that they can be used to trim laminate. But they are also great for routing a hinge mortise or doing fine grooving in your projects. Anytime you want more control, better visibility, and more precision, it's a better choice that a full-sized router.

I am also looking at the Ridgid laminate trimmer, as I would like to add these kinds of capabilities to my wood shop.

Comment

Have you ever had to do a small round over on lets say 30 kitchen doors? a router gets kinda heavy. I like using a lam trimmer. but hey thats my view.I have used a Porter-Cable and dont like them(the base seems to move/drop). most of the time I use a Makita.
          ________
          Honda MR175
          Last edited by RODDY; 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I was just looking at these tonight at home depot. I was looking for a quick way to mortise out strike plates for dead bolts. I do alot of trim work and the jams usually have the lower but not the upper. so I was gonna make a jig that would fit from the stop to the casing and zip zip Im done. Its all about cutting corners and getting the job done faster in my area. and I need something quick to do it. Beats using a hammer and Chisel I think.

Comment

Working...
            X