No announcement yet.

The RIDGID Table Saw Fence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delta put junk handles on its Midi Lathe, though they are swapping them out due to popular demand.

Dave

Could you elaborate on this at all, I’ve heard they would gladly replace them with the same plastic junk that originally came on them if they break but I hadn’t heard of them replacing them with something more substantial. I have been lucky so far and have not suffered a handle failure but I treat them real gingerly because they are such junk.

Thanks

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
      Oh, and in fairness----I used to find broken handles on the old 3612s. Now, if you don't want to worry about a possible broken handle---get a Biesemeyer.
      Yup, then all you'll have to worry about is a possible bent handle.
      I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Well, I bought a new TS3650 about a week and a half ago and it came with the fence lock lever broken out of the box!

I called RIDGID customer service the next day and asked to send me a replacement part (as I already put the saw together and didn't feel like returning it to HD). Today I had to make another call to them because I still don't have the replacement part. This time I actually got a confirmation number and promissed "rush delivery". Looks like another week that the saw will have to sit idle.

Needless to say this is very frustrating. I like the saw for all the features and the price and would actually like to use it. Hopefully it'll go better from here...

Comment

I think metal or plastic could get damaged if mis used. And a shipper can mis use anything, well packaged or not, I have had the TS2424 for 3 years with no problem. Really some plastics are awesome.

Comment

I remember unpaking my TS3650 and thinking to myself that this was one great packaging job. They had everything fitted nicely and well seperated. I know others have commented in the past positively on the packaging of the saw.

It seems strange that the handle could get broke but anything is possible I guess. Was their evidence of droppage or abuse to the box? Maybe the handle was broken during manufacture or when it was origionally packaged which was probably done by a machine.

Wasn't their someone else in the past week or two who had a broken fence handle out of the box? Maybe they had a robot that went 'wild' and was getting a little rough when placing the fence in the box. Would be interesting to know the serial numbers of these two saws and how close together they were on the line during manufacture.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D.:
              I remember unpaking my TS3650 and thinking to myself that this was one great packaging job. They had everything fitted nicely and well seperated. I know others have commented in the past positively on the packaging of the saw.

It seems strange that the handle could get broke but anything is possible I guess. Was their evidence of droppage or abuse to the box? Maybe the handle was broken during manufacture or when it was origionally packaged which was probably done by a machine.

Wasn't their someone else in the past week or two who had a broken fence handle out of the box? Maybe they had a robot that went 'wild' and was getting a little rough when placing the fence in the box. Would be interesting to know the serial numbers of these two saws and how close together they were on the line during manufacture.
              The box looked to be in really good shape from the outside although some of the styrofoam on the inside was cracked. Nothing else in the box was damaged in any way.
              Your theory on the packaging machine gone bad is interesting... The serial # of my saw is P052473831. Not sure of the manufacture date off the top of my head.

As long as I get a replacement part in soon I'll be happy. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to install.

Comment

Just like the other Steve, I have had a 2424 for several years and the handle works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by nhwoodworker:
                  QUOTE]The box looked to be in really good shape from the outside although some of the styrofoam on the inside was cracked. Nothing else in the box was damaged in any way.
                  Your theory on the packaging machine gone bad is interesting... The serial # of my saw is P052473831. Not sure of the manufacture date off the top of my head.
                  As long as I get a replacement part in soon I'll be happy. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain to install.
                  Maybe you could get a new fence from HD like the other guy did. Then you wouldn't have to wait or try to repair your fence.
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:
                    Maybe you could get a new fence from HD like the other guy did. Then you wouldn't have to wait or try to repair your fence.
                    I'll give it a shot Sunday and see how it goes. I'd be surprised if they actually give me a new fence, but we'll see.

Comment

TS2412 HERE WITH THE AC1036 36" RIP FENCE SYSTEM. NO PROBLEM WITH EITHER THE ORIGINAL FENCE OR THE FENCE INCLUDED WITH THE AC1036. I REALLY LIKE THE FACT THAT THE FENCE GRABS BOTH THE FRONT AND BACK RAILS.
                      IF YOU\'RE WORKING HARD, YOU\'RE DOING IT WRONG

Comment

I have the TS2424. I have never had a problem with it. The "Lifetime" warranty probably will never be needed. I love my saw.
                        SCBOB

Comment

While I'm not a big fan of plastic. I have seen broken fences made of metal. I even seen the highly exalted Beismeyer with a broken handle and and one with a broke pivot.

I watched a guy break the casting on the fence of a Delta saw locking it down, when I asked why he put all his weight on it his response was I didn't want the fence to move. The fence was adjusted so that hand pressure along would lock it so nothing short of 5 ton winch would move it, yet he felt he had to put all his weight on it.

Things break, either by bad design, abuse, wearing out, or manufacturing defective the question is will it give reasonable service before that happens and when it does happen can I get the repair parts.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

I have only been using my TS2400 saw for a few months, but my feeling is that the fence is pretty solid. That's one of the main reasons I bought this saw.

One of the things I like about the Ridgid table saw fence (on both the 2400 and the 3650) is that the lock-down doesn't stick out too far, which means you are less likely to bang into it.

With lots of other table saw fence designs, the handle really sticks out. If you are trying to save space, believe it or not, that can make a difference. And the more it sticks out, the more likely you are to bang into it, which not only might damage the handle but also hurts!

Comment

Just a quick update. I got the replacement lockdown lever yesterday. For some reason the return address looked like it came from Ryobi - I didn't think there was any association between them and RIDGID.

Anyway, it installed pretty easily. Now that I can lock my fence down, all I can say is "wow"! This fence totally rocks! It locks down very securely.
                              I'm sure I'll get a lot of good use out of this saw.

Comment

TTI, the parent company of Ryobi, manufactures the 3650 and most of the other woodworking tools for RIDGID to RIDGID's specifications. Both Ryobi, Ridgid and other product lines share the same parts distribution center.
                                I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X