X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RIDGID Table Saw Fence

Time after time on this and other forums, I keep reading that the plastic handle on the RIDGID fence is a cheap POC and that it eventually will break off. I'm wondering if this is really true or just another unfounded(made up) allegation. Granted, I've seen them broken at the local HD but I don't think thats an everyday environment. Between the kids and adults that don't have the slightest idea how to operate these things, I'm amazed that any display model at HD or Lowes even resembles what it's supposed to look like.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone ever had one of these handles break off under normal shop use? I've been using mine now for over two years and its as solid as the day I brought it home.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Hi Dave
    I am new to this forum. Igot my saw in oct. 04. It has been used every day. I have not had any trouble from mine. if debre builds up behind the rear lock & the back rail it could make it tight enough to break. I lov my ts3650.
    Ronnie
    never regret growing old It\'s a privlige denied many.

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head Dave. I'm sure that some of these stories stem from broke displays at the stores. I know I have replace the one at my store twice in four months. But it is from being hit with everything for lumber carts to pallet jacks to people letting their kids play with them. And once from a man just cranking on it the wrong way until it snapped off. It is a full time job just trying to keep my displays looking nice with all the parts there.
      Jeff

Comment

I haven't read many comments that they "will" break, but because they're fairly light plastic, I'd think they have a "higher possibility" of breaking than if they were a stronger material like steel....especially in very cold climates. The fact that it's not uncommon for them to break in a store, signals to me that they can break at home too. My shop is in the garage and is shared with lawnmowers, snowblowers, bicycles, skateboards, kids...etc. Hopefully it won't happen often, but I'd be more comfortable with a sturdier handle. Does anyone prefer the plastic handle over steel or other stronger material?

[ 01-28-2005, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

hewood, my question is about the plastic handle that is currently on the saws and not about what we would feel more comfortable with. That would be a seperate issue that could be brought up in the forum that deals with new ideas. But, your response does make me wonder, with all the interaction that your saw has seen with the "lanwmowers, snowblowers, bicycles, skateboards, kids...etc" and probably also an automobile, has the handle on your saw managed to stay in one piece?

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
            ... But, your response does make me wonder, with all the interaction that your saw has seen with the "lanwmowers, snowblowers, bicycles, skateboards, kids...etc" and probably also an automobile, has the handle on your saw managed to stay in one piece?
            ???Why on earth would I put an automobile in my garage/shop?! Actually Dave, my fence is a Biese and I'm fortuntate to still have a handle on it. I was just commenting on the plastic...sorry if I got the discussion off the intended track.

Comment

After checking the handle on my fence I've come to the conclusion that any force/impact that would break off the plastic fence handle would do serious damage to ANY handle sticking out of a fence - metal or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:
                ???Why on earth would I put an automobile in my garage/shop?!
                To listen to the radio while you play with your toys, er tools.......

Comment

I've only had the 3650 for a couple of months, so time will tell. My initial reaction is that the fence and handle feel pretty tough to me in everyday use. I have the pressure adjusted on the handle for clamping it per the instructions in the manual, and I think this will help prevent undue stress on the mechanism over time. I like this saw more as I continue to use it.
                  There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Badger,
                    I've had mine about 2 years and have accidently hit it a few times and it is fine. The ones in the stores probably got hit by a heavily loaded cart or even a forklift.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have a TS2424. I must of had it for 3 or more years. No problems with my handle.
                      Steve

Comment

Actually, there's this guy in a mask and a cape that goes into every HD breaking off the handles. Since I travel, and HD is a good stop in, I'm always hanging around the tools----think I only found one with the handle in tact.

Hey, so what if it's a cheap handle---the fence is still one of the best two-point ones around. Delta put junk handles on it's Midi Lathe, though they are swapping them out due to popular demand.

If it ain't broke, don't worry.
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                          Actually, there's this guy in a mask and a cape that goes into every HD breaking off the handles.
                          So Dave, what color is your mask and cape? Seein' you're from Kaliforney, there's prolly more than 1 guy runnin' around in a cape!
                          Lorax
                          "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

"-think I only found one with the handle intact."

I have yet to find a TS3650 with the fence handle broken. None of the half dozen HDs in my area are displaying a broken fence handle. Maybe they have replaced them but from the looks of the display no one visits these tools often to tidy up and clean. The District Manager in these parts must not be too concerned about the appearance of the displays...kinda sad.

Comment

Lorax--- [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Bob----I think you could draw that conclusion. Most HD's in this area have shameful displays of tools----broken parts---banged up and layers of dust that even in my worst bachalor days, I never had. When you go shopping, you need to carry a dust rag to dust off the boxes.

Oh, and in fairness----I used to find broken handles on the old 3612s. Now, if you don't want to worry about a possible broken handle---get a Biesemeyer.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X