• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: R4511 - Finished Upgrades

Originally posted by Cato View Post
    Sprocketeer,

Your upgrades look killer. Nice work.

What kind of issues did you run into mounting the new fence?

Did you have to drill and tap new holes in the rail to match the ones in the granite?
    I did have to drill new mounting holes in the rails for the new fence system. I used the factory split rails as a guide to get them positioned correctly. I found that starting with an 1/8" hole and incrementally making it larger until it was the right size worked best for me.

Comment

Outstanding job Sprocketeer! I just recently purchased the R4511 and will be doing something similar. Thank you for the inspiration!

Comment

This is a beautiful set up.
        I am jealous, I am especially jealous of the room you have to work.
        I am working in a small 2 cars garage and I really hurt for room.
        I am thinking about building me a shop if I can find the money.
        Bert

Comment

Very nice job. That is exactly what I want to do with my new r4511, and it is nice to see that someone else executed it so flawlessly. Oh, and your shop looks eerily like mine, including the HF dust collector, Dewalt miter saw, and even the Makita 2030N jointer planer. You don't see many of those. If you don't mind me getting a little OT, how do you like the Makita? I am restoring mine as we speak, but have yet to put any wood through it.

Comment

I want to say thank you very much for making all the plans available to us. Your work is truly beautiful.
            I am thinking about building something similar but if I do so then I might not be able to get in the garage anymore.
            To not have room really sucks.
            Bert

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist View Post
              Very nice job. That is exactly what I want to do with my new r4511, and it is nice to see that someone else executed it so flawlessly. Oh, and your shop looks eerily like mine, including the HF dust collector, Dewalt miter saw, and even the Makita 2030N jointer planer. You don't see many of those. If you don't mind me getting a little OT, how do you like the Makita? I am restoring mine as we speak, but have yet to put any wood through it.
              The Makita was a "hand-me-down" from my brother-in-law who bought it new probably 20+ years ago. I am very new to woodworking so I don't have any experience with other pieces of equipment other than the ones I currently have. That being said, I took out all of the blades and had them sharpened and put them back in. I cleaned it and made a stand for it and placed the tool and the stand on a mobile base. I also retrofitted dust collection ports for both the planer and jointer. I have been able to get good results with it although I think I am getting some excessive snipe but again, I don't have any experience with other planers so I am not sure. Overall I think it is a nice tool especially for the price!

Comment

As I am getting ready to build this table extension (temperature in my garage permitting, this morning it is a toasting 15 degrees) there still is one thing that I do not understand about this table: how is it attached to the saw at the top?
                Do you attach it to the fence angle iron?
                Is the fence then riding on the top of the saw table?
                What then guide the fence at this end?
                Please explain and if possible add one or two pictures.
                Thank you very much.
                Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                  As I am getting ready to build this table extension (temperature in my garage permitting, this morning it is a toasting 15 degrees) there still is one thing that I do not understand about this table: how is it attached to the saw at the top?
                  Do you attach it to the fence angle iron?
                  Is the fence then riding on the top of the saw table?
                  What then guide the fence at this end?
                  Please explain and if possible add one or two pictures.
                  Thank you very much.
                  Bert
                  b2rtch,

My shop is pretty cold as well!
                  The Shop Fox fence that I installed has quite a different back rail than what comes stock on the 4511. The fence is not attached nor does it ride on the rear rail, it rides on the table top. The fence does not need a "guide" at the back of the table, all of the adjustments to the fence happen on the front rail. If I am not making any sense, go to your local wood tool supplier and look at the fence systems on some of the more expensive saws and you will see what I am talking about. The rear rail on the fence system that I installed is what my out-feed table is attached to. The orientation of that rail makes the out-feed fit nice and close to the granite top. Hopefully the pictures make my sense of what I am trying to write.
                  Attached Files

Comment

NICE SETUP. I'm planning on building a folding out-feed table too and I also installed a Shop Fox fence on my saw. Much nicer than the original. One question, how do you open the motor cover? It looks like the lower bracket for the folding table would block opening the cover.

Comment

Sprocket - Does the lower angle iron interfer with the opening of the cabinet cover?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                        Sprocket - Does the lower angle iron interfer with the opening of the cabinet cover?
                        Opening the cabinet cover is the one thing that didn't work out as well as I would have liked. I can open the cover about a third of the way before it hits the piece of angle. That is barely enough for most of what I need to get in there for, otherwise I have to take the entire cover for full access.

Comment

My stepson bought me (out of pity) a space heater that I now use in my garage. This thing really works.
                          So I started to work on my extension table.
                          I cut the bottom angle iron so that I can open the door fully. I could have turned the door around but it seem too much work really.
                          If I decide to build a longer table I shall install a leg under the table so that it does not snag and I can adjust it level..
                          I shall keep the rear top angle iron for the fence and I figure that I just will have a small gap for the fence to ride between the existing table and the extension ( may 1/4") I believe I can live with that, or can I have the fence rid on the table as the shop-fox does?
                          What guides the shop fox at the rear? Nothing, right?
                          The rear angle iron is here just to support the weight of the fence, correct?
                          So I could have a Teflon pad under the existing fence and I have this one riding on the table, no?
                          And then I can get rid of the gap between the two tables.
                          What do you think?

I installed the two angle irons yesterday.
                          I replaced the upper cap-screws with longer ones and everything is so far working fine.
                          Before I started I leveled the granite table and then I made sure that the angle irons are also level so I know that everything is parallel. I have an existing router table that I plan to incorporate in the design.
                          I saw the design where the right granite table is removed and replaced by a large router table , I have to think about it.
                          Right now my main concern is to know if I should sale my house and buy one with an existing shop or if I should build a shop in my back yard or give up on woodworking altogether.
                          I just know that I cannot continue to work in the very limited space I have.

Have a very good day.
                          Bert
                          Last edited by b2rtch; 01-11-2010, 11:29 AM.

Comment

That's pretty bitchin'!... as we used to say in High School. I started a thread about the problems I'm having mounting my 52" Biesmeyer fence. Sounds like I need to just buy some new angle iron and be done with it. My saw MUST be mobile. My current plans are to mount the saw and extension table on a solid core door with casters. That way I can have a stationary leg to support the right end of the table.

When you put the wheels under your saw to move it, how well dose the angle iron hold up the extension table?

Really diggin' that out feed table!

Comment

I have gotten the 54" Biesmeyer mounted and some pictures of it in my profile. I still haven't figured out how to put them in a reply/post. But, at least you can see them in my album under my profile if you are interested.

Hey, I may have just figured it out!
                              Attached Files

Comment

This is just an update. I just finished installing the fold-up adjustable legs and now the saw project is complete. I picked up the folding leg hardware from Rockler.
                                The Hercu-Lift will lift the entire unit off of the floor and I can still move it although more carefully. Fortunately I don't have to move it much.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X