X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My take on a router extension for the R4511

Well this is my take on a router table extension for the saw.. Since I'm in no mood to buy a new fence just yet that costs dang near as much as I got the saw for, I'm working to the best of my ability with what came factory.

Since the split rail on the R4511 does not afford much support I decided to remove the right wing and replace it entirely with a longer top. This way it bolts to the main top as well as enough of the rails to support it.

The top is 3/4" MDF which sits inside the oak frame on cleats made from scrap oak. It's also screwed down to these cleats, though only because the MDF was sitting around for a while and developed a slight bow.

I'll need to extend the 2.5" angle iron out. This will be supported by the fence rail itself, which will thus support the end of the extension.

MDF makes ungodly large amounts of dust! I don't think I'll be routing it ever again, if at all possible.

Now, I did bore the plate out to allow for an above table adjustment to be used, but frankly since it's so easy to get to, I can just reach under the extension, flick the lock lever and adjust it with the knob, all without bending over. So I doubt I'll be using any above table adjustment.

I'm going to add some angle support from the ends of the extension to the saw body before it's all done to make sure that it's well supported..

I've even got enough room as is to open the door over the motor... Not bad... Sure it will serve me well for some time to come.

Re: My take on a router extension for the R4511

Nice!

A few weeks ago, I saw an episode of The Woodsmith Shop on PBS. They dedicated that episode to building a router table. Theirs looked just like yours, including the Hardwood frame. They sandwiched two .75" MDF boards together to create a 1.5" board to prevent sagging or warping. They finished the top off by applying a smooth laminate (Formica) on top.

The Woodsmith Shop Preview

Too bad they don't offer the full length episode online

Comment

Any chance of getting more photos of the underside? Are the bolts the only thing supporting the table or did you route grooves for the arms coming off the main slab? How are you planning on extending the tubes so that you can utilize the fence for the saw and the router?

Appreciate the ideas, just got my saw on closeout a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it.
      Last edited by nforbes; 12-25-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nforbes View Post
        Any chance of getting more photos of the underside? Are the bolts the only thing supporting the table or did you route grooves for the arms coming off the main slab? How are you planning on extending the tubes so that you can utilize the fence for the saw and the router?

Appreciate the ideas, just got my saw on closeout a couple of weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it.
        Sure.. Here's a few shots...

This is of the table itself with the rail back in place. I have NOT added the angle iron to the front yet and may not. Once I add angle braces under the table extension it most likely will not be needed.

Under the table, it is supported only with bolts. This is the factory bolt for the extension wing. I did not use the support bars. The MDF top needed hogged out to allow the nut to be put on.

This is the back of the table. All I did for this was to drill two more holes and use standard bolts in place. This holds it fine with no issues at all.

This is a shot of the front of the extension. Kind of hard to see. The issue here is that it lacks support at the end. Once the angle brace under the table is in place though it will be a null issue.

The table top itself is a single layer, 3/4" MDF. I've yet to add brace bars under the table flanking either side of the router. Once these braces are in place I don't think there will be any possible warping of the top due to the router weight.

I'd seen tops made of two pieces of 3/4" MDF slapped together, but I feel a pair of well placed hardwood rails will prevent distortion much better. Just with the holidays, have not had a chance to do that yet..

Comment

What is the bar with the green stripe mounted below the front fence tube?

Will the angle braces cause problems opening the right side door of the table?
          If the braces do cause a problem do you think that you could use one brace on the front that would not block the door and replace the rear angle iron bracket with a longer single piece that could be used to support the back side of the extension?

Thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking of doing something similar.
          Any thoughts on using a phenolic covered plywood with hardwood bracing underneath rather than MDF to make for a strong but lighter extension?

Comment

Originally posted by the_nite_owl View Post
            What is the bar with the green stripe mounted below the front fence tube?
            That is a Wixey digital readout for the fence I added when I got the saw.

Will the angle braces cause problems opening the right side door of the table?
            Any angle support on the front should not pose a problem. On the back however, it most likely will interfere with opening the door. I'm still thinking that all through.

If the braces do cause a problem do you think that you could use one brace on the front that would not block the door and replace the rear angle iron bracket with a longer single piece that could be used to support the back side of the extension?
            That is indeed one of the solutions that's going through my mind, yes. It's already been proven that the table can shift with the split rail alone supporting it. (the rail shifts). So a one piece rail would be fine.

Since it's simply angle iron held on with standard bolts, it's no issue to replace it.

Thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking of doing something similar.
            Any thoughts on using a phenolic covered plywood with hardwood bracing underneath rather than MDF to make for a strong but lighter extension?
            Phenolic is surely an option, as well as simple Formica or anything else commonly used. I had MDF on hand so I just used it.. A few coats of wax and it's nice and slick.

The only issue to overcome is the split rails, which remains to be the weakest link.

Comment

I have gotten the 54" Biesmeyer mounted and some pictures of it in my profile. I still haven't figured out how to put them in a reply/post. But, at least you can see them in my album under my profile if you are interested.

Comment

great project, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                X