X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Find You Don't Need Anything?

I got a new flyer from Rockler in the mail today and as I was paging through it, I realized that there wasn't a single thing in it that I actually needed or really, wanted. That got me thinking about woodworking tools in general and other than the disposable stuff, there really isn't anything that I need or want to buy, I have a full complement of tools, hand and power, and none of them feel particularly out-of-date and in need of replacement. If someone got me a Rockler or Woodcraft gift card for Christmas, I'd have no idea what to buy with them. Maybe some hardware parts for a project or something, but as far as major (or even minor) tool purchases, there's nothing I'm looking for.

How about everyone else? Anything you really want that you don't have or are you like me?

Re: Ever Find You Don't Need Anything?

I want a band saw and a real DC unit at the moment. For me, to get to a point where I don't want/need another tool is going to take a while as there is a long list.

By the way, you have enough clamps?

Comment

BILLS!
      Don't want them
      Don't need them

but I keep getting them

I even tried sending my bills to obama as a Xmas gift you know, share the wealth, what's another couple of grand to obama anyway?

Well they came back to me in the mail as "refused to accept"!!!!!

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by vnh View Post
        I want a band saw and a real DC unit at the moment. For me, to get to a point where I don't want/need another tool is going to take a while as there is a long list.

By the way, you have enough clamps?
        Clamps are one of those things that I just buy whenever I'm bored, I have tons of them and can't remember the last time I actually needed more than I had. Wait, yes I can and I went out and bought enough clamps to cover the job and a few more to boot. Pipe clamps, bar clamps, spring clamps, quick clamps, handscrews, specialty clamps... amazingly you can have enough for most things.

Comment

Originally posted by Cephus View Post
          I got a new flyer from Rockler in the mail today and as I was paging through it, I realized that there wasn't a single thing in it that I actually needed or really, wanted.

How about everyone else? Anything you really want that you don't have or are you like me?
          I'm just the opposite. I sold everything 6 years ago to move south to NC. I had all the big and little "things" to make a shop. Now I'm starting from scratch with very little money to put towards equipment and "things". I could probably order from every page of every catalog. I'll be there someday.

Red
          Red

Comment

Yes. I am at that point now. It is very unsettling.
            "non illegitimis carborundum"

Comment

I'd like a bigger shop area but that would involve moving. Anybody got a 25% off coupon from Century 21 Reality?
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Nope! I have a tool fetish and just love them. I hunt for new stuff almost daily. Cuts into my beer money but I guess thats a good thing?

Big G

Comment

I'm in much the same situation, I don't need and more tools to do the projects I want to work on but, "need" is such an ugly word. I don't "need" any more tools...but there's always something out there that I "want".

Comment

there are individual fliers that many times have little interest in, but there is usually some thing for some place I would like to add,
                    but on the farm there is wood working the mechanics/metal welding shop, tire section, plus the construction side of the place so I can usually desire some thing to make life easier, and usually if I am working in an area there is some thing that would make things work better, or with less frustration,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm sure I could find things that might occasionally be handy in the shop. I'm sure I could find something to do with David Marks' big multirouter setup or a huge sander like Norm's but honestly, the amount of money I'd spend could never match up to what I can forsee I'd use. Just having tools that sit around gathering dust makes no sense to me, I buy what I use and use what I buy. Collecting tools just to look at seems sort of a waste to me.

Comment

There isn't any item that I need, but I've been slowly upgrading... You know, from Skil to Ryobi to Porter-Cable (circ saw)... B&D to Ryobi to Bosch (jigsaw), DeWalt CMS to Bosch SCMS... and so on. I was feeling pretty complacent back in October.

Then, I recently acquired a Festool Domino (my first Festool item)... Several days later, happened across a barely-used Festool track saw packaged with the Festool Midi vac (yay craigslist!) ... and the green fever is in full swing... Sander... Systainers... oh man... the line between wants and needs is very blurry right now.

I am constantly trying to convince myself that my Bosch JS5 jigsaw is more than sufficient and I don't need the Festool jigsaw... and my 6 types of cordless drills are fine for my needs... I am invested in DeWalt routers, so don't click buy on the Festool OF's! .... and so on... Thankfully the Kapex is *far* beyond any comptemplation, but a MFT looks yummy and handy for some projects I have on the horizon. Help!?

Comment

Working...
                        X