X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter Saw - Sliding or not?

I need some advice from some of you. I have the 12" Ridgid Sliding CMS. I got it several months ago for a great price ($300) at the Woodworking Shows. It joins all of Ridgid's other major stationary tools in my garage. My question is, money notwithstanding, how many of you would suggest this saw over Ridgid's 12" non-sliding CMS (dual bevel)?

I know that part of the answer depends on how I plan to use the saw. The biggest problem that I see is the huge size (36" deep) of the SCMS. It might be nice to have the 12" non-sliding as it is easier to build an 8ft wide miter station with the non-slider, as it will fit toward the back of the station that I plan to build. I also wonder if the slider will wobble a bit from left to right, as that can be the nature of 12" sliders. The Ridgid 12" non-sliding seems rock solid.

Again, I would appreciate any of your comments from owners of these two saws and what thoughts you may have on which one to own. Again, I already have the slider, but may "trade down" if the 12" non-sliding would work in most instances for me.
    Last edited by Sawdust Steve; 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM.
    There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Miter Saw - Sliding or not?

I have both and they both have their place. Well I just got the non-sliding for Christmas but have used similar ones in the past and I like the sliding better. If your transporting the saw from job to job then the non-sliding is much better. For me I like that I can make a quick cut at angles rather then setting up my table saw for wider boards. $300.00 was a great deal the only thing I realized was you need to set the lazer on the non-sliding it doesn't give you a strait line.

Comment

I think you've hit on it... you have to decide based on what you're going to cut. I have a radial arm already, so I don't really need the capacity of the sliding. I really like the size, light weight and general portability of the non-slider. it's very handy for trim work such as door / window casings, crown, etc. Besides, I find I'm not exceeding the crosscut capacity of my 12" miter often anyway for typical furniture and cabinetmaking....the radial isn't getting used much since I got that thing.... it stores away in a relatively small space... and it's much cheaper - which is always nice.

Comment

If I could only have one, I'd pick the sliding every time, just for the capacity. I rarely need to cut anything that wide but for those times I do, it's easier to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Comment

I vote for the slide. I have a slider, seems more versatile from a wood standpoint. Would love to have a dual bevel slider...........
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the responses. Since I already own the Ridgid slider, I will probably keep it. I deliberated between it and the non-slider when I bought it, but at $300, the 12" slider was a great deal. I will always be using this big boy in the shop, so the weight is a plus. The only downside I might have is the depth. This monster requires about 3 feet of depth and I wanted to build an 8 foot work counter with built-in miter station using Kreg measuring system (better in the long run than the laser. The non-slider is only about 2 feet deep so it would fit better.

I have a two car garage (25' L x 19' W) and I am trying to design everything so that we can fit both cars in the garage when I am done. All major tools are mobile. I have considered Ridgid's Miter saw Utility Vehicle, but I really want the built in convenience and quality of the system that I want to build. Capacity-wise, the non-slider should work for my needs. If so, someone on Craig's List will get a good deal on my slider.

One more question is whether there is any quality downside to a 12" slider vs. 12" non-slider. Does the slider cut just as true and straight? Mine is aligned well and I have installed a good quality Freud blade on it.

Again, thanks for all of the input. I just may need to find a way to make this bad boy fit. I asked my wife it I could cut a 1ft x 1ft square out of the sheetrock for the slider to slide into. Of course, that hole would be made in the sheetrock that is common between my attached garage and my kitchen walk-in pantry. That would actually put in on the cereal shelf! I told her I would, of course, box it in for dust collection, and then would glue the ends of cereal boxes to the wood box for camoflage. She declined for some reason.

And speaking of dust collection, have any of you had any success connecting your vacuum systems to the Ridgid (or another brand) slider.
            There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Comment

Working...
            X