X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare R4511 and R4510?

Hi, new to posting. Was surprisingly able to buy a r4511 at my local HD but havent picked it up yet, they had a total of 4 in stock ( now 3). I was all excited but then i happened to read a review in FWW on the r4510 - the portable. I m wondering if comparing the two is like apples and oranges. FWW made the 4510 seem like a reasonable choice ( not in comparison to the 4511). There are 2 primary reasons i m considering the 4510. One is the portability factor I do have limited space and being able to move it around might be helpful. The second is the set up - seems the 4511 is a major pain to set up ( not worse than any other stationary saw) whereas the 4510 is good to go out of the box. I m an amateur (very) woodworker. Are these two machines vastly different or just one s on wheels?. Please offer any thoughts. thanks!!

Re: Compare R4511 and R4510?

I don't have the R4510, but used to have the TS2400 which is also a contractor, portable saw. While I like the TS2400 a lot for its portability, relative easy to setup, these characteristics were also sources of frustration. While the portability equates less storage space, it was also a draw back since the saw was light and did not feel sturdy. Personally, I like heavy, sturdy tools. The table was not flat. In fact, it has a lot of imperfection since it needed to be lightweight. The R4511 table is flat! The relative easy of setting up was nice, but I did not feel that I had a lot of control over how the saw behaves.

Since acquiring and using a R4511, I see a big difference between the two saws. The R4511 has a lot more power and quieter. It might be a difficult setup to some people, but I found it easy to setup following the steps outlined in the manual. There are published guides in the forum that are helpful. The R4511 can't be moved like the contractor version, but it is quite easy to move around with the Herc-U-Lift.

If I have to choose now, I'd choose the R4511 again.

Comment

I to have limited room and am new woodworking. I had a portable saw myself before upgrading to the R4511. The portability was great for more room, but I have learned to adapt with the bigger saw. I would not trade my R4511 for another. The bigger Heavier saw has proven to be an asset to me and my shop. Depending on your needs and where you will be using your saw is how I would base my choice. I chose a bigger more stationary saw over a portable as my older saw never left my shop and my new one will not leave either now. Also depends on what kind of work you will be doing. I need a more accurate saw and my portable did not offer that. I am very happy with my R4511 even in my small workspace. Has not been a problem yet and I’m sure I will adapt with whatever problems come my way. As far as set up it took me two days to put together and another two to set the accuracy of it. Yes I took my time so it is right and was alone but can be done quicker. Also once it is set you are good. Mine was not to bad coming out of the box though.
      Power tools and accessories for man cave $5000. Wood to make things $1400. Ending up making a single cutting board for a gift…….Priceless

Comment

I have a small workspace also and have the R4511. The Hercu-lift makes the saw very portable and it has so many benefits... The directions that come with the saw are terrible... there are many post here that do a better job... especially regarding the hercu-lift installation and the dust basin. Make sure you install the dust basin prior to installing the hercu-lift. I also had problems identifying the correct screws to use and ended up have to re-do a few procedures substituting the correct screws... I took the top off the saw to unload it and I did have problems with blade alignment. I had to drill out the holes slightly to give me enough adjustment to square the table... may not have had to do that if I had not removed the top. You should have gotten a great deal on the R4511 so I wouldn't even consider the other saw... make sure you use the Friends and Family rebate!!

Comment

Yes indeed, apples to oranges. That's not to say the either wouldn't serve your purposes it's just that, design wise, they are each geared toward different markets.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Like comparing a VW Beetle to an F350

Comment

R4511:

R4510:

Both lift weights...

Comment

Yeah, but we often don't need to drive an F350 or lift 300 lbs either. Apples and Oranges may well be true, well sort of; but the 4510 and 4511 both do the same thing... they cut wood and they do so "accurately"!

Personally, I think too many of us get caught up in the "bigger is better", "more power" thing. While there certainly is nothing wrong with a big saw that that will muscle through just about anything, we all don't need or have the permanent space for such.

There have been a number of members who satisfactorily own the 4510's predeccessor, the TS2400 (and 2410). The 4510 has some very nice features, among which are it's easy portablity and folding storage. But that said, I think the 4510 can well hold it's own and it's choice by any woodworker doesn't have to be a matter of "lacking"... for space, or anything else for that matter. It's just a good choice as would be the 4511, if you happen to find that granite top or one of it's other features an attraction. (Personally, I don't.)

Bottom line, the 4510 has some niice features and should prove to be a nice addition for anyone who is attracted by it.

CWS

Comment

The advantage of the R4510 is portability. The advantage of the R4511 is table space, especially in front of the blade, mass & stability, quieter smoother operation, more torque, easy adjustment, large handwheels, stronger materials of construction, long term reliability, and resale value.

If you need portability from site to site, the R4510 is the better choice. If you don't, the R4511 or any full size saw has significant advantages over the portable format...larger saws can be easily moved around the shop on a mobile base. The R4511 has a built in Herculift that's pretty effective.

Comment

Hi all, thanks for your thoughtful contributions. Part of the issue for me has been debating this whole "bigger is better" mentality vs. the real difference in the 2 saws. Clearly the 4511 is a better saw, the question is do I need that better saw. I d probably be happier with the 4511 and while the portability factor is nice, i can make do with the bigger footprint. That combined with the fact that there isnt a price difference leads me to go pick up the 4511 that i had already purchased. Thanks for helping me think it through!! I love you guys

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                      R4511:

R4510:

Both lift weights...
                      That cracked me up!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by hewood View Post
                        The advantage of the R4510 is portability. The advantage of the R4511 is table space, especially in front of the blade, mass & stability, quieter smoother operation, more torque, easy adjustment, large handwheels, stronger materials of construction, long term reliability, and resale value.

If you need portability from site to site, the R4510 is the better choice. If you don't, the R4511 or any full size saw has significant advantages over the portable format...larger saws can be easily moved around the shop on a mobile base. The R4511 has a built in Herculift that's pretty effective.
                        I agree with hewood. In this case, larger and heavier is better for someone without a need for portability.

Comment

I hope we can go a dozen pages discussing the differences in these two saws.

The pro and con list has got to be as thick as a phone book.

Comment

R4511 - R4510 = 1

So, the difference is 1

Comment

Working...
                            X