X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router hp for raised panels

I am interested in tinkering with raised panel doors. I currently have 3 routers, the biggest being 2 hp. Is this big enough to get started ?? or do i need a 4th of the 3hp size ??

I think the 2hp will be big enough if you don't remove too much material with each pass. If time is important (don't have enough time to make three or four passes on each panel), then I'd say start looking for that 3hp unit.

Paul

Comment

I think you have a wonderful excuse/reason to buy a new tool! I use the PC7518 for raised panels and it will cut them in one pass, although it's better to cut them in 2 passes with the final being a light one.

It's also nice to have 2 routers when you cut the rails & stiles for the panels. I mount the rail cutter in one router and the stile cutter in another router. It makes it much easier to tweak the setup.

Bob R

Comment

thanks for the quick response. 1 more question now .which do u prefer for panel cutting "vertical" or the "horizontal" cutting type

Comment

I have not used a vertical bit. I believe it would be harder to keep your panel tight against the fence than to hold it down flat on the table. If you choose the vertical, be sure to use featherboards and a tall fence.

Bob R

Comment

The vertical bits reportedly can be run with lower power (but I don't see how it can take less power to remove the same amount of wood).

But if you ever want to do curved top raised panels, you need the horizontal bit. (Which is all I have actually used)

Comment

Actually - it does take less power because the bit is turning close to the shaft whereas a horizontal bit will need more power to push the bit the further it is from the shaft. Having said that I agree that it is a lot easire to hold the panel flat to the table. That is why I have a 3+ hp router. If you are doing a lot of panels you would be wise to invest in the more powerful router. You have a long way to go to catch up to "Norm" as far as the number of routers you own.

Comment

I have the three piece CMT door set with a two horse power craftsman router! It works good with multiple passes. Never tried it in one or two passes because I don't want to burn it up. My craftsman router was a 99 dollar special I bought three years ago so I think your router will work great. The panel cutter is horizontal.

Comment

Thanks for the replies . Now back to to the wood store for some Oak .

Comment

Working...
                  X