X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bessey Uniklamp Question

Looking to get some parallel clamps and was wondering about the Bessey Uniklamps. The price seems pretty good on these but when reading up on them they classify them as light duty, what excatly does that mean? I think the clamping pressue is around 330 - 500 lbs. I am going to be using these mostly for gluing up strips of wood for cutting boards and currently use a heavier duty Bessy clamp but are much longer than I need, hence looking for some a little smaller. I have tried several types of clamps and really prefer the parallel clamps. And the 18" capacity is important, dont see many parallel clamps in that size. Will the Uniklamp provide enough pressue for my application?

Re: Bessey Uniklamp Question

I have made a number of cutting boards recently using bicsuits/glue and use clamps that are rated at 300#. I think that an important thing to remember is not to apply too much pressure or you will force too much glue out and thus weaken the joints over time. I don't have Uniclamps, but I see no reason for you to worry about the clamping pressure they provide as not being enough.

Comment

take a look at the bar, and look at the jaw, and it depth, it is obvious that it can not take the pressure like a heaver clamp, (pipe clamp or a I beam clamp),

I am sure it will work for small projects, and things that need to held with light pressures, and should be able to glue up some cutting boards if things are properly jointed, If you have the clamps using more than two clamps will help,

clamping from the top as well as the bottom can help keep a panel flat and keep it from cupping it from a bowing pressure, from being only clamped from one side.

even on a small project like a cutting board using three or four clamps is not out of line,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between the uniklamps or the wood river clamps Woodcraft has on sale. I like the uniklamps because I found a good deal on a combo package of them and like the 6" and 18" sizes (wont use the 6" for cutting boards but would be good to have some in that size).

BHD - I made a bunch of clamping cauls to help keep things flat during glue-up. I make lots of end grain cutting boards so I do whatever I can do to minimize sanding time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pez View Post
          Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide between the uniklamps or the wood river clamps Woodcraft has on sale. I like the uniklamps because I found a good deal on a combo package of them and like the 6" and 18" sizes (wont use the 6" for cutting boards but would be good to have some in that size).

BHD - I made a bunch of clamping cauls to help keep things flat during glue-up. I make lots of end grain cutting boards so I do whatever I can do to minimize sanding time.
          Mind posting the combo deal info? I also was thinking about getting some of these, since they are the shortest length parallel face clamps available (that I know of).

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Comment

I just picked up some 12" Uniklamps, following a very positive review in one of the WW mags this past month. They are the smallest overall parallel face clamp available. I have a slew of Gros-Stabil parallel clamps, and used to have a bunch of the Woodcraft in various sizes...

The Woodcraft clamps were mildly disappointing, as some of them had heads that weren't attached straight, so to speak. They worked OK, but it always bothered me. I use the Gros-Stabil's a lot, and think they are the cat's meow...

But, they are big, clunky, and my shortest is 24" long. Not so good for small box assembly, so following that magazine review the Uniklamps went to the top of my list. I have not used them yet for a project, but here's my opinion of them based on examination and general experience:
              > They are definitely 'light' duty, which is only to say their jaws are not as large as the usual parallel clamps and the bar is slimmer. They do not feel or look cheaply made.
              > They are well made, the faces remain parallel in my fiddling with them, and they are just the right size for boxes, cutting boards, small laminations (e.g. laminated rolling pins and what-not). The slide engages well and the handle is robust enough to tighten properly.
              > They have a little foot to support the bar at the end and keep the head from sliding off. It is pretty small, thin, and doesn't look sturdy.. but then I remember that the head doesn't weigh 3 pounds like most parallel clamps, so it should be fine over time.
              > I got a pair of the 12 inch Uniklamps, but I can see how the 18" would be probably more useful. I couldn't imagine enough uses for the 6" to justify the cost.

and finally... > Rockler has buy 1, get 50% off another right now (maybe in-store only?). So you can get a pair Uniklamps, of whatever sizes you choose, for about $35-40 each pair, YMMV. This is what I did, and got the first for $24.49 and the second for $12.24.

Here's a good review by the nice fellow Tom Hintz, who's opinions on WW gear I almost always agree with:
              http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews...niklmprvu.html

Comment

Working...
              X