Delta BS being replaced by PC ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta BS being replaced by PC ?

For anyone thinking about buying a bandsaw, if the Delta BS was on your short list you better make up your mind soon. I was in Lowes this past week and there on the floor in the tool section was a tried and true Delta BS just like the one you have seen Norm use on the NYW for the past dozen years or so standing right next to a new Porter-Cable BS. Now they look similar but they are not the same. It's not just a matter of re-labeling the Delta saw even though the two companies/brand names are now under the same management. The PC version has less heft, components that are lighter in weight and do not appear to be manufactured to the same level of quality as the older (2009) Delta BS.
    1. Note the diameter of the upper blade guide column, the PC is about 75% of the Delta model.
    2. No provision for detensioning the blade on the new PC BS.
    3. PC has a closed cabinet with the motor mounted inside and has two step pulleys for two blade speeds, the Delta is single speed.
    4. Cheaper switch on the PC BS.
    5. Smaller and not as effectively placed dust collection port on the PC BS.
    6. Column does not appear to be extendable with a riser block like the old style saws. It may be but I could not tell by looking at it. If it is it surely will not use the old style riser block.
    7. Not easy to see in these cell phone photos but the lock knob for the upper guide post is smaller in diameter and the knob itself is smaller on the PC version.
    Bottom line, the Delta BS is marked down to clear them out. They are marked now at $399, no price sticker on the 'new and improved' PC model.
    Name:  09577b9aab7a0b5fa14a0f9ab2e27342.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  81.9 KB Name:  15b1aab554c350e6696860223cb40534.jpg
Size:  37.3 KB Name:  cfc65f35448564d2989db401c5c7d825.jpg
Size:  39.5 KB

All in all this is good news for the BS1400 as the 'new' PC BS is now of lower quality than the RIDGID, so maybe there will be no need to bring out the new model RIDGID BS for another year.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Re: Delta BS being replaced by PC ?

Lowes appears to be rolling out several PC machines to replace what they had carried from Delta. They also have a low end planer that looks very similar to the TP-305 as well as a drill press.

Comment

Kinda sounds like they are rebadgeing the old Delta Shopmaster line with the Porter Cable name doesn't it?
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

yeah I noticed they are replacing all the Delta stuff with PC. The PC stuff looks a lot cheaper made than the Delta stuff its replacing in most cases (not that the Delta stuff was heavy duty to begin with)

I havent found a store that has the Delta and the PC bandsaw at the same time. Thanks for the comparison pics. Over on another forum someone prefers the PC because of the nicer knobs on the adjustments. I didnt realize the PC was 2 speed, but I think my Delta is just fine the way it is (I have the Delta in your pics). Maybe if I really needed 2 speed I could come up with a pulley setup (or hey maybe just buy the PC parts ), but overall I think the Delta is much better than the PC replacing it.

Comment

but overall I think the Delta is much better than the PC replacing it.
          I have never used either BS, but after giving them a good looking over for about 15 minutes I agree that the PC model is junk compared to the Delta, and two speeds would not be enough to change my mind about which BS to buy given a choice. I'd take the Delta any day over what I saw with the PC badge on it.

And now, for on a unrelated topic...

Go Eagles!!
          Beat Dallas!!
          Last edited by Bob D.; 10-28-2010, 05:20 AM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            I have never used either BS, but after giving them a good looking over for about 15 minutes I agess that the PC model is junk compared to the Delta, and two speeds would not be enough to change my mind about which BS to buy given a choice. I'd take teh Delta any day over what I saw with the PC badge on it.

And now, for on a unrelated topic...

Go Eagles!!
            Beat Dallas!!
            Well, Im a Giants fan so my season is done. I just cant figure out who I hate more, Philly or Dallas

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
              .......... I just cant figure out who I hate more, Philly or Dallas
              That's an easy...........The Vikings!
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Not to worry, the Eagles were true to form and forgot to show
                up for their game, now they face Dallas again next weekend.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. My eyes were as big as saucers and i was salivating in my sleep. Feet firmly back on the ground now tho.

djame

Comment

Working...
                  X