X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 review

Man this saw so far is pretty sweet. The granite is really smooth sleek and durable. Though I try to be careful when inserting and removing the miter gauge because of the chance of chipping. Lots of tweaking, but after everything is set the cuts are very clean and square. It took a long time to setup as well, about 2 days for me but I ran into a lot of problems like the cabinet not laying level and the herc-u-lift not really working too well. The only gripes I have with the saw, 1. The fence is not 100% secure, when pushing near the far end of the fence, it is pretty easy to make the fence flex left or right 1/16th of an inch. I don't like this because I push my work against the fence when I run it through. Maybe someone knows a solution for this? 2. The miter gauge stops are useless. I spent about an hour trying to set them, but realized it was impossible to get them perfect. Its much faster to just press a combination square up to the loose miter gauge, and I get perfect square cuts this way. 3. The saw bevel stops don't really work at all. When setting it up as the manual states, and tightening the stop screw, I am still able to go a little past the 90 degree mark. I decided to just loosen it and not even use the stop, instead just checking the square with a combination square and tightening. 4. The blade height tightener is a little finicky. When tightening it the wheel can turn and shift the blade some.

Re: R4511 review

Glad to hear you got it together and running.

1. Grabbing the fence by the back isn't representative of the lateral forces it sees when you push your workpiece against it. The majority of the force occurs just prior to the blade, which puts much less leverage on the fence than grabbing the back. Push from in front of the blade and see how much deflection you get...better yet, cut a piece and see if you're really getting any noticeable deflection.

2. Most stock miter gauges suck....like stock blades.

Comment

I looked at about a zillion saws in this price range... and what you get for the check you wrote is to me amazing... It's not perfect, but heck for the $500 dollars or so I saved, I can put up with quite a bit of adjusting. Glad you made it through assembly... wish I could shoot the moron that wrote the assembly instructions, but we made it through. Lucky this site is available .... lots of smart people ready to jump in an help!

Comment

Yes... the reviews on this forum and others were very beneficial in assembly! I too looked at saw after saw after saw. In the end... with the price, performance, and LSA you just can not go wrong!

Enjoy

Comment

Amen!
          Bert

Comment

It is a great saw for the price.

Red
            Red

Comment

Working...