Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing router table on 3650

Just got this aftermarket router table:

http://www.routertabledepot.com/tasawrotaexc.html

I am going to replace the right cast iron wing and replace with the router table. I need some help on how to attach it to the saw. One idea I had was to use the wing as a template to locate the holes. Then I will need drill holes in the three sides of the router table and from the bottom (squared with a chisel). Also, what about hardware? Should I use the same type of screws but longer to attach the table? I think I saw one where the guy used lag screws to attach the middle section of the saw to the router table. Seems to me if you did that you would havent much adjustment to level the table. Besides, arent the holes that connect the wongs threaded?

Any advice on how to attach would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Installing router table on 3650

A year ago, I made a wooden extension similar to that one. Mine only measured 27" by 20" of surface. This filled that void on the right side of the saw, I didn't have to remove the right wing. My original design used tenons on the front and rear, they slipped into the groove of the fence rails. It was very easy to assemble, but the measurement was off by a hairline. That design had an option to use the rest of the cast iron table as an out-feed table when routing, the "hairline" difference in hight made it not advisable.

A) I reviewed my old plans (SketchUp) and I redrew it with the dimensions of your top. I threw out the tenon idea and added 6 Angle-Brackets, this will give you the ability to adjust the hight so that the surface is even with the cast iron.

B) I see yours measures a whopping 27" by 24", that's twice as big as the existing wing, I see why your wing would have to come off.

C) The Saw's cast iron top is threaded, all I can think of is attaching Angle Brackets there to keep the wood top from sagging.

D) After a few months, I decided to go with an 18' by 27" Cast Iron Router table Extension. I attached it to he existing right wing. Very heavy on the right side for sure, but the top came with two legs for support. Now I'm in the process of making a cabinet to sit my saw and router station on top of.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the sketchup pics!

I never worked with metal before but may try the angle-brackets. I have an old metal mattress frame that would be perfect. Knew I was saving it for a reason. A buddy of mine can help with any metal work.

I am a little unclear how the angle brackets attach to the saw table and rails. Also, would these holes cut into the angle brackets be more like slots for up and down movement to level it with the saw table.

Comment

The fence rails have a T-Slot. I would stick the head of a bolt in there, slide the bolt into position and attach the angle bracket to the bolt. When you attach the angle brackets to the cast iron, you can use the existing pre-threaded holes. I refer to not allow the bracket to move up & down.

Notice I notched the side of the table, this is to make room for the bracket and the nut that will protrude

I made holes on the lower section of the angle bracket so you can attach the table. You can adjust the hight of the table by inserting shims or washers between the bracket and the table.

If you are going to use a section of bedframe, this is how I conceptualize the result.
        Attached Files

Comment

I would use the t-track already in the rails. If you're concerned with placing weight on the rails, you could do what a friend of mine did and mount legs to the outside edge of the table. When the Herc-u-Lift is down, they rest on the ground. When raised, they are lifted high enough to allow the saw to be rolled around. If I remember right, he made them out of pipe threaded into screw-in flanges. You get stability and don't have to worry about bending or stressing your rails.

Comment

Go here.

http://lumberjocks.com/projects/24508

Comment

I'd like to keep the size of the router table area down to 12" fitting tight to existing cast deck . This may relieve stress on the rails , and not require leg support.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Wood View Post
                I'd like to keep the size of the router table area down to 12" fitting tight to existing cast deck . This may relieve stress on the rails , and not require leg support.
                Keep in mind it's not just the table, but the weight of the router, the weight of the stock and the downward pressure you're putting on the stock as you feed it through the bit that will cause stress on the rails.

Comment

Stress on the rails is a concern yes, but the stability of the TS/router table is of greater concern. Last thing you need is a table tipping with the router spinning at 20K and you with a stick of wood in your hand that is getting ready to be launched right at you.

Just as Cephus says you need to take into consideration all the forces that will come into play when the tool is in operation. Stability is prime, aesthetics takes second chair to safety.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X