X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norm Abrams

Today is the last day to check out the first episode of The New Yankee Workshop online.

Friday will be the second episode, they are changing episodes on a weekly basis.

Re: Norm Abrams

thanks,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
      Today is the last day to check out the first episode of The New Yankee Workshop online.

Friday will be the second episode, they are changing episodes on a weekly basis.
      Now I just have to wait until about season 5 or so, I have all the episodes up until then!

Comment

I noticed he was using average tools in the first show.Be interesting to see when the sponsors started supplying all those fancy tools he was using at the end.Now don't get me wrong I have my share of fancy tools.

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
          I noticed he was using average tools in the first show.Be interesting to see when the sponsors started supplying all those fancy tools he was using at the end.Now don't get me wrong I have my share of fancy tools.
          Just remember, his show was a half hour commercial for the tools he was using. Building of the furniture was an added bonus. As the show grew, so did his tools. This is how he had explained it to me when I talked to him years ago. It is a great show and it will be missed.

Red
          Red

Comment

That was pretty cool to see... I knew the show was dated as soon as he said Radial Arm Saw... I grew up using one but I haven't seen anyone use one in quite a long time. Some of his tools even had cords... not all cordless.

Brandon
            I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

Originally posted by IamVince View Post
              For the first season, he used a hammer and actual nails. Then, either the last episode of the first season or the first episode of the second, he got a nailer and rarely ever went back from there. Watching the show from the beginning gives you a good sense of his power tool mania, he'd get a new tool and suddenly use it for *EVERYTHING* until the next iteration of the tool came along. Every project used his drill press and sanding drum until he got his oscillating spindle sander, then every project used that.

Comment

Those are the pre-dewalt days.

Thats a Black and Decker Professional 9.6V Cordless Drill, which later became the dewalt brand. Scary how fast time goes by. I built that workbench when I was 14.

Comment

Originally posted by blboyd View Post
                  That was pretty cool to see... I knew the show was dated as soon as he said Radial Arm Saw... I grew up using one but I haven't seen anyone use one in quite a long time. Some of his tools even had cords... not all cordless.

Brandon
                  Norm made use of his RAS in many episodes, even into the last season. The Craftsman RAS went away but was replaced.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by blboyd View Post
                    There are lots of people who still use a RAS. I own one but I loaned it to my uncle when he was doing some work and it's still in his garage. I ought to get it back one of these days, they're really useful for doing dado work, etc.

Comment

I have enjoyed seeing these first episodes again, (the drill press) used in the bench epsoide I think was a shopsmith, when he made the handle for for the screw.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Yes, Norm used a Shopsmith in early episodes. Remember that the NY Workshop is Producer Russ Morash's shop behind his house.

To see what tools were used in each episode, check out this site:

http://www.normstools.com/index.shtml

and the NewWookie website is a good place to keep up with Norm and TOH too.

www.newwookie.com
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          This is a pretty cool site. It list just about every tool Norm used.

Red
                          Red

Comment

Working...
                          X