X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User - TS3660: Hit by Small Piece

I have not used my TS3660 table saw much, until recently, and already, I have been hit in the lower chest area with a very small piece of wood. A red spot on the skin and it smarted, but looking for thoughts on why this happened and what I could different.

Was disassembling a garage cabinet, salvaging some wood, cutting off ends to square them up. Don't recall the exact size of the wood, but perhaps something like 1" x 2", laid flat, cutting off a piece that was maybe 3/16" wider than the gap between the blade and edge of blade insert. I figured this was enough to ensure the piece would not get pulled down into the insert cavity. I made the cut, and withdrew the miter gauge back. The cut-off was still sitting there against the spinning blade. All of a sudden, there are some quick multiple clanks (blade), and I am hit, with a piece that is only about half of the original piece. I cut the power. I am not sure where the other piece went.

Clearly, that small piece sitting there against the blade was not good. Something happened, just not sure what. Using stock blade and insert. Thoughts? I really want to be as safe as possible and this incident already has me rattled.

- Phil

Re: New User - TS3660: Hit by Small Piece

I think a zero clearance insert might help, just because the piece will have more support on the table and won't lean into the gap moving itself into the blade.

Comment

Sounds like you might have hit a piece of metal.
      This is #1 issue working with used wood.
      I lost a finger due to such a problem.
      The best is try to not use used wood and if you really have to, use a metal detector, a cheap but not the best way to do it, is to use a stud finder.
      Make sure to use PPE (personal protection equipment) = safety glasses and face shield.
      When using the swa never stay right in line with the blade but always to one side of it, most of the time to the left of the blade, so that if something flies off the blade you are not directly in the trajectory line.
      Be careful, nothing is worth getting an accident and loosing a finger or more.
      I hope this help.
      Bert

Comment

Bert,

Thanks for the tip on metal. This wood did NOT have nails and screws in it. I am quite confident the piece that got caught and broke up did not have metal in it. I checked the piece that hit me, and it is clear.

I was wearing safety glasses. I always stand to the left of the blade, wherever possible, but this time, I began to move to the right to hit the power switch, and that is when it happened. Seems like the power switch ought to be closer to where I stand on the left. ???

- Phil
        Last edited by Phil3; 01-11-2010, 07:19 PM. Reason: Typo that changed meaning of message!

Comment

Amen to the better safe than sorry statements. I have become a firm believer in safety glasses. Not worth loosing an eye over saving 20 seconds searching for glasses.

Comment

I have safety glasses all over the place. I put a set on a lanyard that goes around my neck, so can't forget...or lose. That table saw commands a lot of respect from me.

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              I think a zero clearance insert might help, just because the piece will have more support on the table and won't lean into the gap moving itself into the blade.
              +1 on the ZCI.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
                I have not used my TS3660 table saw much, until recently, and already, I have been hit in the lower chest area with a very small piece of wood. A red spot on the skin and it smarted, but looking for thoughts on why this happened and what I could different.

Was disassembling a garage cabinet, salvaging some wood, cutting off ends to square them up. Don't recall the exact size of the wood, but perhaps something like 1" x 2", laid flat, cutting off a piece that was maybe 3/16" wider than the gap between the blade and edge of blade insert. I figured this was enough to ensure the piece would not get pulled down into the insert cavity. I made the cut, and withdrew the miter gauge back. The cut-off was still sitting there against the spinning blade. All of a sudden, there are some quick multiple clanks (blade), and I am hit, with a piece that is only about half of the original piece. I cut the power. I am not sure where the other piece went.

Clearly, that small piece sitting there against the blade was not good. Something happened, just not sure what. Using stock blade and insert. Thoughts? I really want to be as safe as possible and this incident already has me rattled.

- Phil

Sounds like no blade guard in use, or was it not possible for this cut? A CPW said a ZCI would help but not prevent this from happening.

RTFM... NEVER stand in the line of fire of a tool. The manual directs you to stand off to the side when making cuts. I know that is easy to say on Monday but it is a lesson learned the hard way for you now. Hopefully you won't have to be reminded again. Ya got off easy, others have incurred serious injury from similar events.

I don't have this in my tagline for nothing:
                http://www.powertoolinstitute.com/intro2.html
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Another +1 for ZCI. When I first bought my 3660 I ran some pieces through and a small chunk got caught and pushed the blade into the factory throat plate causing me to loose a piece of carbide. I ordered some ZCI's and have never had a problem.

Also:
                  Maybe a repeat answer, but have you taken the time to square your blade to the miter slots, miter gauge and fence to the blade? Just trying to help you prevent any further incidents.

Comment

Hello Phil, I agree with others on the forum that a zero clearance insert may have helped in this incident. One other piece of advice, you mentioned that you normally stand to the left of the blade, but you were reaching to the right to turn the saw off when this happened. The 3660 allows you to mount the power switch on either the left or the right side of the saw. I would recommend that you try moving the power switch to the left side so that there is no need to lean across to the right to turn off the saw.

Keep safe!

Comment

To answer a few responses.

1) I bought a zero clearance insert (ZCI) and will install.
                      2) Blade guard was in use.
                      3) I took great pains to align the blade to the miter gauge slot, using a TS-Aligner tool. After repeated efforts (and measurements), the blade is within .001" of being parallel with the miter slot.
                      4) I made the cut standing to the left of the blade. To turn the saw off, I had to move to the right to reach the switch, and was at that point, the piece got launched. I was concerned about the piece sitting there against the spinning blade, but did not want to move it until the saw stopped, which required standing in the line of fire. What table saw practices can I do to avoid this?

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Arc Light View Post
                        Hello Phil, I agree with others on the forum that a zero clearance insert may have helped in this incident. One other piece of advice, you mentioned that you normally stand to the left of the blade, but you were reaching to the right to turn the saw off when this happened. The 3660 allows you to mount the power switch on either the left or the right side of the saw. I would recommend that you try moving the power switch to the left side so that there is no need to lean across to the right to turn off the saw.

Keep safe!
                        OK, will move the switch. Do most people locate the switch on the side they operate from? If so, and the switch default location is on the right, it makes me wonder if the normal operating position is to the right side of the blade. ???

- Phil

Comment

I don't know about the 3660, but on my 3650 the shutoff is on the left side, and I make all the cuts that I can from that side.

Comment

were you holding on to the piece of wood or was it just sitting next to the spinning blade?

Comment

I pushed the wood held against the miter gauge, into the blade, made the cut, and withdrew the workpiece from the blade. The small cut off piece was still sitting next to the spinning blade, and then, some clanking, the piece was gone, and I was hit. I never attempted to grab the small cut off piece before it broke up and hit me.

- Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X