Drill Presses (2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Presses (2)

By accident I posted this somewhere else on this forum, sorry.

I saw that there already is a thread about drill presses but I do not think that it focus on my question.
    I have been shopping for a drill press for several months ( I shop mostly online).
    I looked at HF, Sears, Rigid, Grizzly and other I do not seem to find the "perfect" drill press.
    I believe that what would fit my need best is a bench drill press 12 or 16 speeds with a 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor.
    I would like a floor drill press but I do not have the real estate for it.
    I would mount the bench drill press on an existing cart and move it around.
    I know about the general opinion about HF tools but I have been buying tools from them for years ( knowing what I am buying) and so far I have been very happy with them ( I love them "multi-tasks tool for 29.99, nothing can beat it).
    Right now they have on sale a 12 speeds-10"-1/2HP motor bench mounted drill press for $99.00 (instead of 179.99 regular price).
    My concern with it is that the chuck travel is only about 2.00", I would prefer more than that.
    I do not think that I will ever need to make mortises deeper than that but is this a limitation for anything else?
    Will I be able to use mortise chisels on it?
    This is the drill press I am considering: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44836
    Has any one any experience with either Rioby DP121L or the Craftsman 10 in Drill Press with Laser.
    Has anyone a recommendation for another drill press?
    I have been looking for a used one but I cannot find one that fits my needs.
    I know no chuck round-out is what we want, but, in a less than perfect world, what is "acceptable"?
    Thank you.
    Bert
    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-13-2010, 08:54 AM.

Re: Drill Presses (2)

I don't have any experience with any of the models that your looking at, but I too am in the market for a DP and have researched the Cman, Delta, Jet, Ryobi, etc....
    My criteria is as follows:

1. I don't want to spend a lot of money as I will not use it very much
    2. I've never liked HF tools
    3. I don't want to spend a lot of money as I will not use it very much

That being said.... The one that your looking at on sale for $99 with a 20% coupon brings it to $79...I just might have to rethink #2

BTW...The HF model that you're looking at has a 2 3/8" travel. Oh ahh, here is the coupon http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

Comment

Well thank you for the coupon.
      I think that I have no more reason to hesitate.
      I know two people who use their HF drill presses daily and for years , both are very happy with them.
      Bert

Comment

FYI:
        Item # 38142 - 13" Bench Top Drill Press - Have been very impressed with this unit...very strong 3/4hp motor, very low vibration, very low runout, good quill travel, and heavy.
        This DP replaced an 8" Grizzly, and I chose it over the Ryobi, Delta, Craftsman, Hitachi, and other Grizzly DP's.
        I honestly don't know what spending 2-3x more would get you (maybe a laser guide...). $144 on sale plus 10% coupon.

http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/inde...r_Freight_Gems

Bert

Comment

Hmmm... I have some HF tools that out perform many name brand tools and I've have HF tools go belly up right away... The DP's may work just fine, I have my doubts if you'd be happy using it for mortises... just a guess, but I could be wrong

Comment

Well, I went to buy the drill press with a vise last night
            $79.99 for the DP , surely is very good price.( thank you for the 20% off coupon!).
            It went together very easily, about 10 minutes.
            It runs very smoothly and quietly.
            The chuck has about no run out, so far so good.
            The only thing that I do not like is that the column seems too short.
            Already I have plan to add a 3 to 4" spacer between the base and the column to raise this one up.
            I think that this DP will serve me well for many years.
            Bert

Comment

i had a HF bench drill press for 10 yrs and at the time it did perfectly fine for my needs. i have since upgraded to a delta 17" floor press and so i gave the old one to my younger brother and he is now enjoying the HF bench drill press...

good luck with your new press. i hope you get at least 10 years of use out of it as well.

Comment

Well, my tail between my legs I must admit that I had to return the DP to HF.
                I put it together and I installed it on a cart.
                It looked very good but I when I tried to drill a 3/8 hole in steel then I found out that it had no power what so ever.
                As soon as I applied some pressure then the motor stalled.
                I was really disappointed.
                I wonder if this is particular to this DP or if all this model are like that.
                I would have to buy another one and try again to know.
                Another thing I found out about this particular DP is that the column seems too short as distance between chuck and the table fully down is too short to use an 1/2 drill bit, to use the 1/2" bit one has to install the vise on the base itself.
                Had I keep the DP I would have had a friend machine me a 4.00 or 5.00" extension for the column.
                I might still try it again and do the column extension.
                I looked at other DPs, there is nothing that satisfies my need and that I can afford.
                The only tow other options are the Ridgid for DP or the Rioby.
                If the Ridgid was on sale I might buy it but I would struggle to find room for it in my garage.
                Has any one of you any experience with the Ridgid DP?
                Thanks
                Bert

Comment

Well, my tail between my legs I must admit that I had to return the DP to HF.
                  I put it together and I installed it on a cart.
                  It looked very good but I when I tried to drill a 3/8 hole in steel then I found out that it had no power what so ever.
                  As soon as I applied some pressure then the motor stalled.
                  I was really disappointed.
                  I wonder if this is particular to this DP or if all this model are like that.
                  I would have to buy another one and try again to know.
                  Another thing I found out about this particular DP is that the column seems too short as the distance between chuck and the table fully down is too short to use an 1/2 drill bit, to use the 1/2" bit one has to install the vise on the base itself.
                  Had I keep the DP I would have had a friend machine me a 4.00 or 5.00" extension for the column.
                  I might still try it again and do the column extension.
                  I looked at other DPs, there is nothing that satisfies my need and that I can afford.
                  I tried to find a used one but I had no luck so far.
                  The only two other options are the Ridgid for DP or the Rioby.
                  If the Ridgid was on sale I might buy it but I would struggle to find room for it in my garage.
                  Has any one of you any experience with the Ridgid DP?
                  Thanks
                  Bert

Comment

Working...
                  X