R4511 - Rear rail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 - Rear rail

Perhaps someone can be of some assistance. The R4511 has a rear rail with a passive rear hook that's there to prevent lifting. Would it be ok to remove the "hook" from the fence so that an outfeed table could be attached more easily without have to build out from the hook? What would be the potential problems with removing the hook, not the pad? I really don't understand the supposed lifting problems. Any advise, warnings, suggestions would be genuinely appreciated!

Re: R4511 - Rear rail

I am in the process of building an extension table my self.
    I believe that the hook is there just to prevent to lift the fence of the rail by accident.I do not see any other use for it.
    Many fences do not use a rear hook.
    I looked at the hook and I believe that it would be no problem removing it but on the other hand I believe that there is no issue living it either.
    If you leave it on, you are going to end up with a 1/8 (or so) space between the original table and the extension, I have no problem with that.
    Then to remove the fence you can slide all the way on one side or the other, again I have no issue with that.
    I bought 10" of 2x2x3/16 angle iron ( 1/16" thicker than the original for $13.00) to replace the rear fence, making it of one piece to have more strength and support for the future router table.
    Later I shall replace the front fence.
    Bert
    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Lifting is the only worry that you can have. The thought is that a thin piece of stock may slip under it and lift the fence, causing the piece to bind in the blade.

If you have an aux fence face that fits tighter to the table, or a slip over fence cover, then it will minimize any issues.

Will also add functionality as you can build in T tracks and hold-down locations.

</2cents>

Comment

Thank you kindly for the info! I will be removing for my outfeed table. Hope to publish the pics soon.

Comment

"Will also add functionality as you can build in T tracks and hold-down locations.'
          Why?
          Thanks.
          Bert

Comment

Why would an auxiliary table saw fence add functionality?

Several reasons..

1.) It can be flush with the table.
            2.) T tracks can be added anywhere
            3.) Makes attaching sacrificial fences a snap.
            4.) Can make the fence taller, making it safer to do tenons.

This one from Wood mag will give you the gist of it.

I'd seen some really nice ones done through the years.. All of which have certain purposes they are built to fill, if even just top of the fence storage and a taller fence surface.

Comment

I did not realize that this is what you were talking about.
              Why would it a problem to keep the hook while using the auxiliary fence?
              May be I misunderstand what you are saying, sorry.
              Bert

Comment

My point was that an aux fence will eliminate the chance of thin stock sliding under the fence and raising it up [with the hook removed] causing a serious issue.. Since the stock fence is held away from the table top. An aux slide over fence butts tight against the table surface.

Thus, no hook, no problem as there'd never be a possibility of the fence raising.

Comment

The rear hook on the fence is there to prevent the fence from lifting such as when you use a feather board on the fence to keep your stock down firmly against the table. Without the hook the feather board doesn't really function as safely as it was intended to!
                  millman

Comment

Originally posted by millman View Post
                    The rear hook on the fence is there to prevent the fence from lifting such as when you use a feather board on the fence to keep your stock down firmly against the table. Without the hook the feather board doesn't really function as safely as it was intended to!
                    millman
                    That's make a lot of sense.
                    I shall keep mine on as it does not hurt to keep it.
                    Thank you.
                    Bert
                    Last edited by b2rtch; 01-14-2010, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I have designed and built an outfeed table for my R4511 based on the designed described in "WoodWorker's Journal" of Feb 2009 with some major changes. I used the support mechanism as described but added a T-slot & T-bolt to the support. The table is 40 1/4" x 28 1/2" made of 3/4" MDO trimed with Mable. It folds down when I need extra room in the shop or I need to move the table. Mostly it stays in the up postion. I mounted the table to the Rear rail assembly with a 36" piano hinge. ( see picture, support, Out Feed Table 41 X 28, Folded Down, Hinge, Out Feed)Name:  9c37abc35c8a5f745dbc4bf58135898c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  49.6 KB), Name:  833fbc06886a6ab4ba80d0591392abc0.jpg
Size:  64.3 KB, Name:  7fa09313a87e6668d1fa6fe23e0f9202.jpg
Size:  48.4 KB, Name:  8ad1ebff6188bd261110862a5b27ca2c.jpg
Size:  47.5 KB, Name:  e85bc331f0172be79902ada79002c338.jpg
Size:  55.4 KB

The Rear Rail is replaced by the Rear Rail Assembly made of 1 1/4" x 7/64" x 6' steel angle iron from HD, 3/4" x 3 1/2" x 6' mable slider/spacer and a 3/4" x 1 3/8" x 6' maple spacer. The assembly is placed 1/32" below the table top. mounted in the same holes as the original rear rail. (See Picture end view of rear)Name:  bc05ff8587d9e2034bb4a52bd28459e5.jpg
Size:  32.3 KB

The Fence slides on the rear "slider" on a piece of UHMW. (See picture, Fence slider) I removed the hook from the Fence. I looked at a lot of table saws and fences very few have a hook on the fence. (See Picture, Fence Slider) Name:  391383560862eb26a5a84880caded1cf.jpg
Size:  36.0 KB

If you were wondering about the silver tape on the cabinet, that is part of my dust colection mods.

Comment

Nice, I am working on mine as we speak, I like yours as it is simple.
                        Bert

Comment

Nice.

So you've done away with the rear rail because you have an aftermarket fence and don't require one?

I was liking the looks of the 12" fence that stays up all the time in another thread but I'm rethinking that after seeing this. I have to see if I can do something like yours but using the stock fence.

Looks good.

Comment

That's just the stock fence with added UHMD Sides and top added. There is a T-Slot in the top for attaching fixtures. It's a heavy sucker.

Name:  c0a6c72848878c23f24a6e1d16fe2e71.jpg
Size:  334.8 KB

Comment

Okay, just read the first part of this thread, I got to this thread from a link and didn't see the first page till now. I think I'd like to get rid of the hook. Really nice fence cover you have there. Well the whole setup is nice.

So you could use a feather board because the fence is so heavy?

Also, that's a removable panel to the right of the saw? Saw it was not there for one pic.

Thanks
                              Last edited by Tacman7; 03-14-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X