3650 zci

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3650 zci

I just made 5 ZCI's form my 3650. I replaced the 10" blade with a circular saw blade so that I can get the kerf started and make room under the ZCI to install the 10" blade. Problem is that the kerf on my CS blade is smaller than the kerf on the TS blade. So it doesnt make a wide enough cut.

I dont have a dado blade nor do I have an appropriate router bit to route a groove.

Can I do it this way: cut a kerf with the CS blade, then remove the CS blade and add a homemade shim to the arbor. Then reinstall the CS blade and cut again? That would give me a wider kerf. Anything wrong with that plan? Thanks

Re: 3650 zci

Sure, you can install a washer before you put the CS blade back on and then make the second cut. Though your ZCI will still rub on the table saw blade when you lower it down on, as you'll only be widening one side.

Also, don't expect it to cut well, as I'm sure the washer will be off and will cause the blade to resonate. But for this one time deal, it's fine.

Comment

If you happen to have TWO 7" blades you can double them up as as if it was a Stack Dado.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
        If you happen to have TWO 7" blades you can double them up as as if it was a Stack Dado.
        Maybe, provided the teeth will clear each other, but with a high tooth count on the blades not likely.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Tape the new ZCI to the top of your existing throat plate then clamp a board over both of them. You can then raise your 10" blade up thru both and wallah a correctly sized ZCI.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            Tape the new ZCI to the top of your existing throat plate then clamp a board over both of them. You can then raise your 10" blade up thru both and wallah a correctly sized ZCI.
            BD, Is a wallah any thing like a walleye? Oh, that's right, I shouldn't ask....

Comment

What I do is line up the edge of my fence to the edge of the existing insert, raise the blade to about 1/4" then run the zci over the blade as if doing a rip cut, lower the blade insert the zci, clamp it down using the fence(make sure not to put the fence over where the blade will come through) and raise the blade up. Good luck Pat

Comment

Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                  BD, Is a wallah any thing like a walleye? Oh, that's right, I shouldn't ask....
                  PK, you owe me a keyboard! I gotta quit drinking coffee when I'm on the confuser.

Comment

PK, you owe me a keyboard! I gotta quit drinking coffee when I'm on the confuser.
                    I have an old portable electric typewriter--will that do?

Comment

There is a gap between the fence and the table. So,
                      When I position the fence over the ZCI, I take playing cards, and use them as shims to hold the ZCI down firm.

Comment

The question I have is, when you cut your ZCI's, do you cut them to full blade height?

Comment

I don't because I seldom have to saw anything that thick. I normally start out by raising the blade up to the approximate thickness of a 2x4 when I make the opening in the insert. If I have to cut something thicker than that I just raise up the blade to whatever height I need and enlarge the slot

Comment

I'd known several people who only cut at full height because it lessons the chance of a kickback due to the orientation of the blade rotation on the material.

Far as a ZCI, it makes no matter if you cut it full height IMO as the point of a ZCI is to have fully supported sides along the cut line, which are still there no matter how much is cut out.

Now... Does it affect dust collection, having more or less cut out? Dunno..

Comment

Shop Notes: A short video on ZCI

Comment

Working...
                              X