X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hickory

I have a 20" diameter hickory tree that I have an opportunity to use as firewood or lumber. I have no idea if this wood is anygood to use. Before I go to the trouble of calling sawmills would someone tell me if it is worth having cut into lumber.

Keith,
    If you are able I would get it cut up into usable
    lumber. Hickory is used in a lot of tool handles as it can take the abuse, also have hear of butcher block being made from it. Click here for some hickory info
    Keep us posted

Comment

I recently saw kitchen cabinets made from Hickory. They were beautiful! Imagine Maple colored wood with darker (brown) grain running through it. Over time the brown softens until the wood looks closer to Maple, but you can still see the grain. This was in a log home, and much of the trim and furniture was made of cedar. The Hickory fit in very nicely. I believe the heartwood is darker than the sapwood.

[ 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: Vigs ]

Comment

Hickory is priced similar to oak in my area. It cuts well but may be prone to tear out when planing - especially if the grain is not straight. It's a very tough wood. A thin strip is difficult to snap in half. The fibers tend to separate first and leave you with a miniature set of nunchucks. It's a perfect choice for tool handles and I think an excellent choice for flooring and cabinets.

Comment

The house I'm in now was built new, and the best upgrade we did was to have all of the cabinets in the house done in Hickory. The color and grain varies greatly, like a country-style pine, perhaps, with the added benefit of a harder wood, and richer color. It's a beautiful wood. If it's not too much to have it milled, I would go for it.

Comment

Here's another place with information on Hickory with sample photos.

http://www.hardwood.org/species_guid...s=hickorypecan Hickory

Comment

If you don't want to go through the process of having it milled...dried...stock it...just sell it to the mill shop. Bet you can get good $ and add the tools you want but never bought for your shop. We all have that one tool in the back of our minds....
              Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

I guess the trick would be to find someone to rough cut it for you. I had a similar situation with a 70 foot silver maple. Ordinarily maple i guess is not regarded as the best wood but the grain pattern in this tree was pretty awesome. I found a sawmil in valparaiso indiana, a retired gentlemen who does it as a hobby. i took a few 6-7 foot logs from the trunk out to him and he took care of me. and very inexpensive in my opinion. .30 cents a boardfoot to saw it into planks, and .30 cents a boardfoot to kiln dry it. the only problem was the time it took (a month longer than he hoped becasue he needed a few more customers to justify running his kiln).

I would jump all over an opportunity to get some hickory milled down.

if you are unsure of where to go, while i was searching up here someone suggested trying to find an amish community in my area. I guess some are willing to provide this service sometimes merely in exchange for some of the wood.

Good Luck
                \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Working...
                X