X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draining Water Heaters

This is for guys like me that hate carrying a compressor on their truck and a huge slinky of air hose.

Next time you replace a circ pump, don't throw it away. Go to locke, or ferguson or wherever, and grab some pipe thread by water hose thread adapters. Female on the incoming side of the pump, and male on the exit side.

Works like a charm. Maybe not as fast as a compressor, but it's a great alternative, and drains a 40 gallon in about 10 minutes or so.
    And if you burn the pump up totally for whatever reason, who cares? It was free anyways!

Re: Draining Water Heaters

just curious... in what situations would a good circulator pump be replaced? also, if the repair is done by a professional, aren't the old, in theory worn out parts, really the property of the customer?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

What's this got to do with woodworking?

Comment

Hey guys, I have drained hundreds of water heaters, can never get them empty. Especially when the drain cock is broke or seized.I purchased a small Wayne pump, hook up small hose to drain cock, or slip it down the inlet and other end to garden hose, prime it and pumping we shall go. So fast, no mess, awesome. 50 gallon tanks in about 10 minutes! and to boot...this baby is about 20 yrs old! Sure paid for itself! GregC
        Attached Files
        GregC, President/Founder of Quick Belt System
        www.quicktoolbeltsystem.com

Comment

Originally posted by tierraverde@comcast.net View Post
          What's this got to do with woodworking?
          +1

Red
          Red

Comment

Give him a break.
            He's excited to share his newly found device.

I have the same pump as shown above.Rick made me aware of it being sold at Harbor Freight.

Since I use 300PSI CO2 to test new copper,blow dripping water and the tank takes up far less room than a decent compressor,it's the one that blows the tank out rather than rolling out a cord and another hose.If I did 5 heaters a week perhaps this M/O would be modified.

Utah,can you do the Mod shuffle?

Comment

LOL... newly found huh? Well maybe if you did apartment complexes like I do and have to drain out as many as 10 water heaters in one day then you may think twice. Draining one HWH in one apartment as you are installing one new HWH in another works very well. So.. go smoke another while you shuffle.
              GregC, President/Founder of Quick Belt System
              www.quicktoolbeltsystem.com

Comment

)))) lol!
                Radiant Heat Manifold

Comment

Working...
                X