Ridgid jointer for $199?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid jointer for $199?

At least keep demo units in stock so I can fiddle with them. Move more of the inventory back to wherever you are warehousing and send my new tool out on the next delivery truck for free?

There is a small rack with pics and text on some larger tools in a few of the stores, but I'd like to actually see and touch the tool, even if I can't power it up.

Comment

They are in the Atlanta stores now for $199.00. I doubt they will last long though!

Comment

Originally posted by amajors View Post
        At least keep demo units in stock so I can fiddle with them. Move more of the inventory back to wherever you are warehousing and send my new tool out on the next delivery truck for free?

There is a small rack with pics and text on some larger tools in a few of the stores, but I'd like to actually see and touch the tool, even if I can't power it up.
        They started the clearout of the floor demo models a while ago, actually. There are a couple threads on this forum about it I think. Most people echo your sentiments, especially when it comes to expensive things like table saws, bandsaws, etc.

The only thing my local HDs have out "on the floor" are the portable table saws (they are actually tucked away on shelves, in their "folded" form) and miter saws. Everything else is on the cardboard cards, or just boxed and standing there (bandsaw, jointer, drill press, miter stand, etc)

It might even be better for HD in a lot of cases.....if the jointer finally drops to 199, and I get them to price adjust the one I already bought, then pull it out of the box and its a POS....back it goes. Coulda saved them the trouble if I could touch/feel it before buying.

Comment

Got one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by THRASH View Post
            Got one!!!

Is there a price sticker on the jointer?

Im "experimenting" with how HD might be re-pricing these things. If there is a sticker, there should be a date which might be the last time the price was updated/re-printed. Do you have that date?

Ive heard they update/re-print every 90 days or so. Right now 90 days up in my area puts us around early Feb

Comment

Hey Thrash,
              Glad you obtained a tool I may never see. Good on you. With our dollars now on par, I wonder if it benefits HD to ship north of the 49th parallel.

edmontonian

Comment

Originally posted by GARedNeck View Post
                They are in the Atlanta stores now for $199.00. I doubt they will last long though!
                Indeed they are

Comment

I picked one up last night here in central California for $199 plus 10% for opening an HD card. This was the last one at this store, so move fast if you are in the market.

Comment

Has anyone in northeastern ohio seen the jointer for the 199 price?

Comment

After seeing the posts regarding the "clearance" sale in the Atlanta area, I went to my local Home Depot this morning (up here in the northeast), hoping that maybe it was finally hitting the entire east coast. NO LUCK!

Actually the fellows here in my area store seemed a little miffed that I'd even ask and one of the guys told me that it would probably never go on clearance as they do occasionally sell a few. (They have six in stock.)

Out in the Corning, NY area, they only have two and haven't sold one in two years, but it's not on clearance either... I guess it's a regional thing.

But, I did get a good laugh... my wife (she's a real sweetheart) decided to call the Atlanta HQ and see what gives with clearance's popping up all across the country, but nothing here in our area that her husband can take advantage of.

After the call, she came down to the shop to let me know that she talked to a lady in Atlanta who had the absolute truth of the situation. (She thought I needed a good laugh and wanted to share another HD "story" with me.)

So, this very knowledgeable lady told her that the fact of the matter was that California had them on sale because of the mud slides and that Florida and Atlanta (and maybe Texas too) had them on sale because of Haiti. 'You see, people just don't know how much Home Depot helps out when it comes to these disasters!'

I'm of course still trying to figure out how a jointer/planer will be helpful to either Haitians or Californians... but it's nice to know that Home Depot has clearanced this particular item for that purpose.

Just one MORE story to add to the Home Depot legendary library of hard facts. (I am beginning to think that Home Depot has a training policy where by they tell their employees, Never say, I DON'T KNOW... Make up something... anything!

Another phone call with someone who was a bit more in touch with reality said that Home Depot has a policy where by if a product doesn't sell over a period of time, permission is given to "clearance" the item in order to make room for more active products. Such clearance is by sales regions though; and while one region may not sell an item, other regions may. Bottom line is that a "clearance" doesn't necessarily mean that the product is going away.

I guess I need to wait for the next Friends and Family promotion,

CWS

Comment

Hehe, funny you mention that, I called corporate today too and they told me the item isnt on clearance and will not be in the near future in the northeast.

Since I already bought one (hoping for a price adjust), does that now mean the item "sells" in our area and will no longer be cleared out?

BTW, I read somewhere that the jointer just went on clearance in westchester county NY. So close to CT!!!

Comment

That's about the size of it, I think!

This "Clearance" thing is nothing new. I've seen it pop up before with other products at Home Depot. Apparently there's some truth to the story regarding slow moving inventory being cleared and at my local store, I've seen product "cleared", only to re-appear months or a year or so later.

Several months ago (maybe even last summer) there was a lot of speculation that the jointer/planer was being discontinued by Ridgid, but Probrand looked into it and came back with a post stating that it was still a viable product.

I'm saving for one, so I'd hate to see it just disappear and if I thought that was the case, I'd probably rush out and buy one on the ol' credit card. Of course I'd much prefer spending $199 for it at a clearance price, but even at $429 I think it's a bargain. Just need to keep it on my tool budget, if possible.

CWS

Comment

Actually my "dilemma" with the jointer is that I already have the Delta JT360 that I got on major clearance at Lowes (92 bux!!!)

The ridgid is at least a slight upgrade (better fence, dust collection, more power, jack screw knife adjustment), but only at the 199 price (assuming I can sell my Delta for 150 or so, the difference in price between the two becomes 50 bux, which isnt a big deal)

If it stays at 429 here past my 90 day return policy, Ill have to return the Ridgid I bought. With my luck it goes 199 the next day and I dont get back in time to re-buy it.

Comment

I know this is very frustrating. I am deciding between the ridgid and the Grizzly through amazon $385 + 50 shipping. Almost leaning this way just out of spite. I have stores in my area that just sold out of ts3650's and havent moved a jointer in 2+ years acording to the manager. But are we really surprised with the store chain we are dealing with.

Comment

My local HD just had the Jointer for 299.99

Comment

Working...
                                X