Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid jointer for $199?

Originally posted by JayTalbott View Post
    Per post #43 of this thread, the Home Depot SKU is 428-428.
    Awesome, thank you!

Comment

Ok, just got off the phone with a local HD in my area (OC) and they quoted $386.00, clearance price.

Comment

Well finally it looks like the Ridgid jointer is on clearance in my two Home Depot stores (Binghamton, NY and Corning, NY areas). But, it's no where near the prices that have been posted for some of the areas.

Here it is price at $379. But with the current 20% rebate, that fits my budget. I'll be in Binghamton tomorrow and I called ahead and they told me they have three in stock and haven't sold any since they put it on clearance.... SO, I'm going to be a happy camper by tomorrow afternoon, I hope!

CWS

Comment

CW- the $379 is what I paid for mine back in May, and I was happy with that deal at the time and still am.

I know that some places including here in VA, NC area stores recently dropped to $109 for final clearance but that is chancy to wait on.

I have been really pleased with this machine and you will be too!! Charles Neil video is pretty good on jointer technique, and this machine does a really nice job and holds its settings.

Enjoy, even at full price of $429 it would be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            ... But with the current 20% rebate ...
            Did I just hear something about a 20% rebate?

Somebody please fill me in!

Comment

Cato,

Thanks. I picked it up earlier this afternoon. I asked if I could get 10% and without even a blink, the young lady said sure.

So price without tax was $341... tax brought the total to $368. With the rebate that will give me back another $68; so, final tally will be $300. I'm happy!!

Jay,

I posted a note about the rebate a few days ago, but apparently it got overlooked in the "News and Events" topic area.

Here's the link:

http://www.ridgid.com/Download/lsa_eblast_rebate.pdf

I called the "800" number that is listed on the rebate form to just confirm that it was official.

This was picked up from another forum, and I have no idea why it isn't prominantly being advertised on this website.

I just purchased the "Job Max" two days before I saw this, and Home Depot was happy to simply process me a new receipt so that I could bring that into the qualifying dates.

I hope you are able to take advantage of the rebate,

CWS

Comment

As a follow-up to post #58 in this thread...

I spend the weekend getting my jointer all ready to go. I started by removing the fence, the fence holder, and fence slide to clean/wax everything. The fence slide wasn't properly aligned with the table anyway, so I really needed to remove everything anyway to fix that. I then lightly sanded the tables where they were scratched with some 320 wet/dry sandpaper, which knocked down the ridges from the scratches in just a few strokes. Then I cleaned the tables, fence, and fence slide with WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad (learned that one from Norm), which removed the spots of surface rust and other stains and such. Takes a little elbow grease, but works wonders. Then I cleaned everything with some 409, and coated the the surfaces with Boeshield. I let that dry overnight, and then rubbed out the tackiness the next morning. Then I gave everything 2 coats of wax so it's nice and slick.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, it had been a display model at a HD store. It tought me a lot about the care (or, rather, lack thereof) that went into the assembly of the tool by the store employees. During assembly, they had changed the wiring for 240V operation, and since I don't have 240V in my garage, I needed to switch it back to 120V. This required taking taking the stand apart to get to the junction box on the motor. So I had a neighbor help me flip it upside down, and the first thing I discovered was that the belt tension was loose - like, loose enough it would have probably thrown the belt had it been turned on. Second thing I found was that about half of the bolts that hold the stand together were loose, like they had only been originally tighted finger tight, and had since worked loose. So I basically took the frame completely apart (most of which I had to do to get to the motor wiring anyway) and put it all back together again, making sure every bolt was good and tight and that the belt was properly tensioned. Had I not had to change the motor wiring, I probably wouldn't have known that the frame bolts and belt tension were loose.

At this point I should really assume that something will be messed up when buying a floor model tool from a big box store. I got my drill press from Lowe's a while back when they were being clearanced and I got the manager to give me a deal on the display model. I found the same thing where things weren't assembled tight or correctly, so I had to take things apart and put them back together again to get it all right. But I digress...

Once I got the motor wiring changed and the frame all reassembled, I removed the leveling feet, and bolted on a couple of 2x4s running lengthwise, and to those I bolted on a set of dual-locking casters that I picked up at HD so I can easily roll my jointer in and out of my garage, and yet be able to lock it in place when actually using it.

Once it was flipped back upside right, I reattached the fence slide, this time getting it perfectly aligned with the table, and reattached the fence. Then it was just a task of a lot of fine adjustments of the tables and fence to get everything all perfectly aligned, and I was ready to give it a try.

I set the depth of cut to 1/32", as everyone says it's better to take multiple light passes rathter than one big one. So I suspect I'll just leave it set there. I did a bunch of test runs, doing both edge jointing and face planing, on both some scrap pine and some red oak. It works great, and it beats the crap out of the Craftsman tabletop model that it's replacing.

In the end, the only thing that was broken on it was the shaft for the pull-out knob that limits the depth of cut to no more than 1/8" (which only cost $2.72 to replace), and the only thing missing was the plastic angle gauge, which I won't miss since I have much much higher quality setup tools.

At only $140 and a couple days of work getting it ready to use, this was a smokin' deal for a really great jointer. Even if you can't find a deal like I did, this is one really great tool that's probably worth every cent even if you had to pay full price. I am very happy with this jointer.

Comment

I bought one for $299 on Aug 29th (and was a happy guy). 2 days later received a 20% off coupon from ridgid (good from 9/1 thru 9/30)...now not so happy

Comment

Originally posted by mike65072 View Post
                    I bought one for $299 on Aug 29th (and was a happy guy). 2 days later received a 20% off coupon from ridgid (good from 9/1 thru 9/30)...now not so happy
                    Take your receipt back to HD and tell them the situation and see if they will do a return, followed by re-selling it to you with a current dated receipt for the same price, without having to physically bring the product back to the store. If they have any clue about customer service and how to make a customer happy so they will come back to buy more stuff in the future, they will do it for you.

One time when I bought a big ticket item at HD, I already had it loaded up in my truck when I realized I forgot to use an HD gift card that had a couple hundred dollars of credit for the purchase. So I simply went back in and went to the service desk, and they did a return of the original receipt back to my credit card and rang it up again using the gift card, no questions asked.

Comment

Mike,

Jay is correct, I did exactly as you did... buying the JobMax just two days before Sept 1st.

I stopped in at the returns desk on the Sept 3rd and explained the situation and the young lady said, "No problem."

I had my receipt with me, but didnt' bother to repackage the JobMax. She just took the receipt, processed it as a return and re-issued me a new receipt with the new date.

A month or so ago, I purchased the Ryobi inspection camera and just a few days later they had a deal whereby if you purchased anyone of thier more expensive Tek4 line, you got the Tek4 MP3 player ($70) free... on the spot. I simply took back my receipt, they processed it through as a return and a re-purchase and with the latter I got the MP3 player!!!

Just part of Home Depot's 30-day price guarantee I guess. This has happened a few times (though not on a Ridgid rebate) when sales or discounts show up. Home Depot is very good at the reprocessing and rarely with any question.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Was passing through Montgomery, AL a few weeks back and decided to drop in on the HD there (on Eastern). They had a beat up old demo on the floor and one up on the rack. There was no price on the demo so I asked how much they wanted. They looked it up and offered me $257. I pointed to the one on the rack and said I'll take it. I've waited a long time for this so I jumped on it. Not the cheapest but a lot better than list. Pushed stuff around in the back of my SUV, loaded it up, now it's in my garage tuned up and ready for my next project.

Comment

Originally posted by jnye042 View Post
                          I pointed to the one on the rack and said I'll take it.
                          Good call on taking the one that was on the rack. As someone who just essentially rebuilt and cleaned up what had been a beat up display model, it would have been nice to have gotten a new one out of the box. On the other hand, I got mine for $140, so I'm not complaining, as now that it's all cleaned up and tuned up, it works just like new (perhaps even better than new). Of course, you can register yours for the LSA, which I cannot, as the previous guy that owned it (but never used it) already registered it, and the LSA is not transferrable.

Comment

Just picked one up in Houston for $107.
                            HD on Hwy6 and FM529

Comment

i just got mine yesterday from home depot for 214.00, wow what a great deal

i found a picture of the home depot price tag on another wood site that some guy took, printed out the picture went to home depot showed them the picture they sold me the jointer for 214.00 down from 369.00 !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X