Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand newbie with an R4511 assembly question

Hello everyone,

Thanks to all the excellent information contained here I went ahead and grabbed an R4511 yesterday on the clearance deal-got the last one at my store.! I reluctantly paid the $79.00 delivery fee given that I have a truck and a trailer, but since I'm by myself it turned out to be money well spent.

Well, I'm at the point where it is pretty much uncrated (top part of the steel cage is off) and I have what's left sitting on a dolly for moving it around until assembled.

Here's where I'm stuck: can I lift the saw assembly off the dolly in preparation for attaching the legs and Herc-u-Lift by the main granite table? I have a come-along hooked up overhead and will use strong straps to lift it by the main table if that's permissable. I can't really see any other way to lift it, but the instructions don't address this point that I can see.

I know some of ya'll have removed the main table to make things lighter but at some 88 lbs. and a cervical spine awaiting surgery, that's not an option for me. Plus, I'd prefer to leave it factory set up if I can.

I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions and hope you folks can tolerate them.

Thanks much,

Ed
    Last edited by postjob62; 01-15-2010, 05:24 PM.

Re: Brand newbie with an R4511 assembly question

I don't think I would want to lift it by the table top.

The top edges of the cabinet are flared out so you could run some 2x4's or 2x6's under these edges and attach your come along to those.

Comment

I would definately get some help... I took my top off as I had to unload it from my truck by myself... honestly, I have had some alignment problems that I probably wouldn't have had if I had left the saw intact... so get some buddies to help you lift the machine off and you should do fine.

Also, Please disregard the directions!! Written by someone who has never seen the saw!! There are many post here that do a better job on assembly. The parts about the hercu-lift and the dust basin are flat out wrong in the company directions...

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
        I would definately get some help... I took my top off as I had to unload it from my truck by myself... honestly, I have had some alignment problems that I probably wouldn't have had if I had left the saw intact... so get some buddies to help you lift the machine off and you should do fine.

Also, Please disregard the directions!! Written by someone who has never seen the saw!! There are many post here that do a better job on assembly. The parts about the hercu-lift and the dust basin are flat out wrong in the company directions...

Leaving it intact is sort of what I'm thinking...

Would you then think it's OK to lift it by the main table?

Comment

The top is held on by four screws... basically one in each corner of the cabinet... the cabinet is pretty heavy too, with the motor, trunnion, etc. I would be very careful if I lifted the whole unit by just the table top, a better solution, to me, would be have someone lift and support the cabinet and also lift and support the top. That is just me... I hear a lot of people saying the granite is fragile... I haven't seen that to be true, but no sense risking it... if I was closer, I'd come over and help...

by the way... you'll want to get some of these to replace the door screws... just much slicker...

Good luck with your new saw... don't hesitate to ask questions!

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
            The parts about the hercu-lift and the dust basin are flat out wrong in the company directions...
            They also made it very easy for someone to use the wrong bolts in the wrong location. They could have been labeled better or provided us with clearer images in the manual. I got by okay because of previous experience assembling the ts 3650 a year ago. I did stumble when I got to the section that instructs you to install the dust chute, I had to undo a lot of progress.

At that point I had a strong urge to start all over again and this time make a video of the proper steps one should take and show close up pictures of the nuts and bolts, showing which ones will go where. Since it's a discontinued item, the video idea would not be of much use to very many. But if I would have bought it when it first came out, I would have definitely made at least a powerpoint presentation to replace those instructions.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, I strongly recommend an assistant, maybe two -if you have a bad back- to do the lifting for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
              They also made it very easy for someone to use the wrong bolts in the wrong location. They could have been labeled better or provided us with clearer images in the manual. I got by okay because of previous experience assembling the ts 3650 a year ago. I did stumble when I got to the section that instructs you to install the dust chute, I had to undo a lot of progress.

At that point I had a strong urge to start all over again and this time make a video of the proper steps one should take and show close up pictures of the nuts and bolts, showing which ones will go where. Since it's a discontinued item, the video idea would not be of much use to very many. But if I would have bought it when it first came out, I would have definitely made at least a powerpoint presentation to replace those instructions.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, I strongly recommend an assistant, maybe two -if you have a bad back- to do the lifting for you.
              Not hijacking at all-I need and appreciate all the advice I can get!

And I do indeed intend to get help lifting it onto the base-but I'm still wondering if it's OK to lift the main assembly as shipped by the center table?

Comment

Originally posted by postjob62 View Post
                And I do indeed intend to get help lifting it onto the base-but I'm still wondering if it's OK to lift the main assembly as shipped by the center table?
                When I assembled my R4511 I laid it across a wooden pallet while I attached the legs/Herc-U-Lift/Cabinet. When I was ready to stand it upright, I asked my future SIL to help lift it. He's fairly husky, and young, and before I could stop him, he reached down, grabbed the granite table top and lifted it upright, putting a lot of strain on the granite AND the legs. I was speechless for a moment because I had the same worries as you. In the end, everything seems OK. No problem with the table top and the legs are still straight. Whew!

Take care.

Rick

Comment

I assembled mine horizontally, then flipped it up .
                  Build a 8 inch platform (scrap shelving on laid on top of other) and throw some card board on the top and the front side of it. Take the base to the platform and slowly knock it over the card board edge of the platform laying it flat on the platform. Attach the legs to the base. Make sure the legs are not in lift mode, then quickly lift/slide/drop the saw off the platform onto its back legs, then quickly tilt from two legs to a complete vertical position.

I did this twice on mine do to dust collector issues. The main pressure is on the back legs feet screws. The second time i did I was noticeably slower than the first time; Maybe two pushes and a pause vs one big push. I could see the stress on the feet as if they wanted to bend or snap, but mine did not.

Here is link to using a palette and 2x4 as a platform: http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/7991
                  Last edited by thekingofspain; 01-17-2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Well, "here goes nothing" as they say...

I've just had the second tech support person at Ridgid tell me that it's fine to pick the whole saw up by the table, and that's how the instructions contemplate it will be done. ("With the aid of another person, place the table saw cabinet on the leg stand".) The last one even told me that's how her boss has always done it. So I guess that's the way I'll head.

As an aside, I asked her about continuing parts availability and she did say they will continue to support the saw; she further stated that if you sign up for the Lifetime Warranty and a service part is unavailable, they will replace the whole saw with the closest available current model. I hate giving out personal info, but I'll be hard-pressed no to sign up for this.

Comment

The saw is heavy but not so heavy that a normal man cannot handle it around.
                      I am 60 and I had no problem lifting it altogether of the palest and then move it around for assembly.
                      My name is not Samson but Bert

Comment

Wow, Bert. If you can do that, you might indeed be entitled to call yourself Samson!

If the entire saw weighs 452 lbs., and the two side tables weigh 55 lbs. each and let's assign say 50-75 lbs. to the stand and other accessories, then the main portion as shipped would have to weigh around somewhere in the range of 265 to 290 lbs. Now I'm 60 also and weigh a pretty stout 245. But even in the days prior to my spinal issues I don't believe I could grab that much, particularly given it's irregular shape, and lift it off the pallet and onto the stand.

You, sir, have my respect-but I'm going for the comealong.

Comment

Working...
                        X