X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4511 wing face alignment

Just picked up the R4511 on clearance and installed the wings and have them aligned vertically.

However on the front of my saw, the left wing is 1/16th inch back of the main counter, and the right wing is 1/16th in front of the main counter. The back of the wings are also also off by the same amount. Is this going to be an issue when mounting the rails?

Not sure If I am installing the standard rails or getting some solid steel tubing instead at this point. But either way I was going to use the stock angle irons.

Also anyone else have, for lack of better term, epoxy on the granite? All three granite piece had a few bits of expoxy residue on them in the for of bumps. Some where smooth but had more friction than the granite, others were rough stops. They came off with some screwdriver scrap action and there was was smooth granite underneath.

Also my right miter slot had a chip in it that was epoxied for sure, however its perfectly smooth on the top and even polished in the slot, just a solid grey instead of a honed granite color.

This is one of the newer saws I think with an 09xx date on the box. The box did not have the top 4 corners removed like the older models did. There was a 08xx box like that at HD waiting for pick up. All the install picks I have seen have also had the box corners removed.

thanks

tkos

Re: R4511 wing face alignment

Don't remember much about my box and I'll have to go look at the alignment of the side pieces, but I think mine were perfect. I did take a single edge razor blade and scrape the surface of the granite. Then I followed that with several coats of Johnson's Paste wax. Makes the surface super smoooooooooth. I've repeated the razor blade scraping and waxing a few times since... makes me very happy I went with the granite top rather than steel... I have a very small shop and the saw sometimes acts as a glue up station. The granite makes it very easy to scrape up left over glue and the super flat granite surface really helps with alignment of the wood pieces to be glued.

Comment

I just assembled mine and had a slight mis-alignment as well. However, I think it was less than a 1/16th. I mounted my rails without any issues... however I think I am going to go back and look a little closer

Comment

I noticed mine has one polished miter slot as well but I have not inspected them real close. Will do and post my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by iamwelty2 View Post
          Don't remember much about my box and I'll have to go look at the alignment of the side pieces, but I think mine were perfect. I did take a single edge razor blade and scrape the surface of the granite.
          That is what the granite installers on my kitchen used for seam leveling. Make epoxy, apply, wait 5, then repeatably scrap with razor and apply acetone.

Comment

Originally posted by nordichomey View Post
            I noticed mine has one polished miter slot as well but I have not inspected them real close. Will do and post my findings.
            My miter slot is only polished where the epoxy is.

Comment

Originally posted by nordichomey View Post
              I just assembled mine and had a slight mis-alignment as well. However, I think it was less than a 1/16th. I mounted my rails without any issues... however I think I am going to go back and look a little closer
              Mine is noticeably on the beveled edges as well.

I doubt HD has any in stock to swap out the middle. They had a demo, but it was beat to death, rails bent, handles eaten, etc. There miter was jury rigged not to move.

I am more concerned with the laddered stair effect of the gaps over the visual aspects the gaps. But now that I about them, it will probably bug me.

Anyone know where to buy the washer like shims used in the R4511? My saw had two shims in both front corners. I had to remove the top to move this beast. Each shim is like 1/32. I dont own a caliper so my sizes might be off.

Comment

Shims = beer can aluminum cut to size.

Comment

Where we you 5 minutes ago when I was sanding washers to level the top.

Comment

I just bought my 4511 last week, too! I haven't gotten to mounting the left wing table as I am mounting a 50" right wing table for my Biesmeyer fence. Which leads to a problem I'm encountering. I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread, so I'm piggy backing on this one.

None of the holes for the Biesmeyer mounting angle iron (that holds the box metal with the ruler) will line up with the factory holes on the R-4511 table. They are close... too close to re-bore.

Should I fabricate my own angle iron?
                    Bore/tap holes in the granite?

The R4511 is replacing an old cast iron Craftsman. I thought I could just swap out the base units and be back up and running... It's proving to be more of a challenge.

Anybody that has mounted a Biesmeyer on their R4511 or that has any thoughts would be welcome.

Comment

Since your thread jacking, I am looking for something similar to extend my rails and use one piece of steel. However I would like to keep the existing angle iron. Looking for a really simple walkthrough of how tap holes etc.

The biggest mod I did to a table saw before was to stuff it with rags to improve dust collection.

Comment

Ok back to face alignment. I had to uninstall the wings to align the table to the saw blade. I had to raise the back with some washers.

Installed the wings again, and they lined up almost perfect. As I was tightening the bolts the wings would shift backward and forwards respectively. So I just applied the opposite force on the wing while tightening. Net result is one wing is flush with the table. The other wing is 1/64 to 1/32 off.

Installed the angle iron it did bow some over gap. Have not installed the steal tubes as of yet.

Comment

"...the front of my saw, the left wing is 1/16th inch back of the main counter, and the right wing is 1/16th in front of the main counter. The back of the wings are also also off by the same amount...."

I had a similar issue with one of the my extensions. One of the support slots in the extension was not perpendicular to the edges so it forced the extension toward the back of the saw. I tried grinding down the support rod and the mating aluminum slot insert, but due to other issues HD replaced the all three granite pieces from another saw, and all were fine. The grinding probably would have worked, but I didn't take time to grind enough off to know for sure. I had considered shimming the fence support angle to compensate for the variance (about 1/16"), but decided against it.

Comment

Finally got to rail yesterday, and messed with the right wing again. With the rails on but loose on the right wing, I untightened all 3 nuts. Then applied pressure again and tightened the middle nut to a full lock. The front came in and the gap between the angle iron to granite on the wing is about a sheet of paper.

The back, the gap came in, but its more than the front, so the granite must be off some.

Comment

Working...
                            X