X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust collection

What ever I do , I cannot upload the images.
    May another time.
    Bert

Comment

Eureka!
      I turned the 90 degres (inside the trash can lid) 180 degres, now it is working perfect!
      ( I still cannot upload any pictures)
      Bert

Comment

Bert - Phil Thein tried several of the commercially available trash can separators, including the one you have, and found that they all tend to scavenge debris from the trash can.

He built his own trash can separator that takes care of this effect. He went even further and applied this fix to the HF DC unit thus negating the use of the trash can all together.

Then Greg McAllister came up with yet another mod that introduces a cyclone type unit in front of the impeller, that when combined with the Thein baffle in the DC unit, virtually eliminates debris from seeing the filter. With your Farr filter, this will be extremely advantageous as this means it will take longer to get full.

I strongly encourage you to check out the provided links.

FWI, I was just on the Wynn Environmental site and they have a new Farr style cartridge filter kit that is rated at MERV 15. This filter has been tested and approved for woodworking by Bill Pentz.
        Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-23-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Peters,
          Thank you for all your help.
          Too bad I made holes in the trash can lid, if not I would return it.
          I read about all this stuff this morning (the advantage of getting way way early in the morning).
          I have learn more about dust collector in the last 24 hours than in the 60 years previous to that (the truth is that until 24 hours ago, I did not know anything about DC).
          Bert

Comment

You may very well be able to salvage the trash can separator lid. Just install the Thein baffle on it and you should be able to eliminate the debris getting sucked into the DC bag.

Glad to be able to point you in some productive directions. Bill Pentz' site is exhaustive and exhausting. Lots of great advice and knowledge that he has been generous enough to share with the rest of us.

Comment

Peter,
              Where can I read about this " Then Greg McAllister came up with yet another mod that introduces a cyclone type unit in front of the impeller, that when combined with the Thein baffle in the DC unit, virtually eliminates debris from seeing the filter".
              I cannot find anything about it.
              Is it about a cyclone?
              If yes , I know where to read about.
              I even find a site where they tell you step by step how to build your own cyclone.
              I might do it one day. looks pretty easy to do.
              The guy who show how to do it does out of galvanized sheet metal, I was thinking using one of this big cardboard cylinder which are used as form for concrete pile.
              Thanks.
              Bert

Comment

Bert, I embedded the links in post #28 of this thread (see upper right hand corner of each post for post number - this post will be #37)

But here are the links in case you can't find them:

Phil Thiens site: http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Thein baffle for HF DC: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=74713

HF DC Hybrid mod: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97825

Comment

Peters,
                  I already made ans installed the baffle.
                  I have one question about this: how close from the walls of the trash bin should it be? SHould it be tight as to not let any air circualtion but by the part cut out?
                  Sawmill creek has been constantly refusing my registration so I cannot read posting there.
                  I send a message to the web master asking him why He refuses my registration, no answer so far.
                  Have a great Sunday.
                  I still cannot upload my pictures.
                  Bert
                  Last edited by b2rtch; 01-24-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

The baffle should be placed about an inch below the inlet of the DC. The 120-degree section is flush against the DC ring and should be placed under the input. The 240 degree section should have about a 1 1/8" gap between it and the side wall of the DC ring.

In the image below, the 120 degree section is flush against the DC ring and located relative to the inlet. Placing this section below the inlet reduces the turbulence in the bag.

Hope this helps.

I spent some time in the shop yesterday. Fired up the radial arm saw, table saw and router. I use a Delta AP100 (completely inadequate, but I didn't know any better when I bought it) for scrubbing the shop air. My HF DC gets hooked up to my homemade DC for the radial arm saw and router table, whereas the R4511 has the DC chute built in. My Dylos particle counter is usually reading around the teens to mid 20's (anything below 75 is excellent). The radial arm saw barely moved the readings. The table saw during rips cuts moved it up into the 50's (no DC above the table. Yet.). The router bumped it over two hundred! I have my work cut out for me on the router DC.

Without the Dylos unit, I would have no way of quantifying the effectiveness of a tool's DC effectiveness. Obviously I have more work to do. But I have made great strides since that first time I cut some hardboard on the old Craftsman contractor saw without ANY DC. The garage was filled with a brown haze and a day later everything was covered in a thick film of brown powder.
                    Last edited by SpiffPeters; 01-24-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                      Peters,
                      Sawmill creek has been constantly refusing my registration so I cannot read posting there.
                      I send a message to the web master asking him why He refuses my registration, no answer so far.
                      Have a great Sunday.
                      I still cannot upload my pictures.
                      Bert
                      For Sawmill creek, you have to use your real name when you sign up, that might be the issue there.

Comment

" The baffle should be placed about an inch below the inlet of the DC. The 120-degree section is flush against the DC ring and should be placed under the input. The 240 degree section should have about a 1 1/8" gap between it and the side wall of the DC ring."
                        This is what I have.
                        Bert

Comment

Originally posted by The Grey Knight View Post
                          For Sawmill creek, you have to use your real name when you sign up, that might be the issue there.

I think that I should change your nickname to "the bright knight".
                          I use my real name and I worked.
                          Thank you.
                          Bert

Comment

Originally posted by b2rtch View Post
                            Right you can get the HF horses dust collector for $139.00 with coupon.
                            I would look at it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...al%20Machinery

Review: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...al%20Machinery

Bert
                            I'm confused...the links take me to the same sale page where there are two dust collectors; one is a 2HP for $250 and the other is a 1HP for $100...?

Comment

Wood magazine has a coupon in it for the 2 hp dust collector for $139. I think the link is earlier in the thread. You can download it and bring it in and get it for that price (a little over $100 off).

Comment

Originally posted by SpiffPeters View Post
                                Bert - Phil Thein tried several of the commercially available trash can separators, including the one you have, and found that they all tend to scavenge debris from the trash can.

He built his own trash can separator that takes care of this effect. He went even further and applied this fix to the HF DC unit thus negating the use of the trash can all together.

Then Greg McAllister came up with yet another mod that introduces a cyclone type unit in front of the impeller, that when combined with the Thein baffle in the DC unit, virtually eliminates debris from seeing the filter. With your Farr filter, this will be extremely advantageous as this means it will take longer to get full.

I strongly encourage you to check out the provided links.

FWI, I was just on the Wynn Environmental site and they have a new Farr style cartridge filter kit that is rated at MERV 15. This filter has been tested and approved for woodworking by Bill Pentz.

I Just got a quote from my local Farr distributor.
                                He says:"The number that you gave me is obsolete and has been replaced by 21173600". ( this is the number from the website for the Farr filter element).
                                Attached are the spec for the new filter.
                                Price $115..00.
                                Bert
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X